IGNORED

Final Fantasy XV

Broker

Finished this last night. I liked the ending itself, but overall the later part of the game didn't quite live up to what came before. Still loved it overall though. 

I was level 45 and found the last few enemies very tricky so would recommend people go in at a higher level. 

Chapter 13 was nowhere near as bad as people made out. Also the camera didn't make the game unplayable in the second half of the game as had been said earlier in this thread. I know it's not a great camera, but if anything the only big problem I had with it was early in game with trees in the open world.

The carnival ticket you get for free is different from the one you get with the season pass btw, as the wording isn't the same on the descriptions. I'll see what's different when the patch lands next week seeing as I have the normal and the season pass versions.

Finished this today, after an admittedly poor start where I wasn't too keen on it, I rocketed through it in a couple of days. What can I say? Well, it's not for everyone and I don't really know the forum consensus because I haven't been reading the thread but for me personally it may be the best JRPG I've played in a long time, at least in terms of story. Not many games have me play for 10-12 hour stints, unable and unwanting to play anything else. 

Really loved the story, some of it was very well done and there were some truly emotional moments for me at least. I'm just gutted so much of the original story was cut from the game as for people not as sad or invested as me I can see why it would be confusing, admittedly I did a lot of reading up afterwards to make sense of it all but the main emotional points they were going for took no reading up on when they happened. 

I finished the story at about 3pm and then proceeded to play another 10 hours doing post game stuff, simply can't put it down. Whether it's pottering around fishing and doing hunts or sidequests I just can't leave it alone. I know the sidequests etc are repetitive in their nature but I just love the feel of the world, the combat and the music. I've always been a big FF fanboy/lover but this really did sweep me away. 

I actually read in a few reviews after I finished that the music is mediocre, I get everyone has an opinion but this piece below invokes so much emotion and sums up the whole game really. 

Still feel sad about the turn of events! When you look back and realise that Regis/Luna both new Noctis' true purpose that he was essentially being sent out to die it's just saddening! I know in the grand scheme it's not the most well told story but it just really got me! Think I played in one session from Altissia right through to near the end and then finished it off immediately the next day. 

So many things I want to discuss with people from my playthrough and so many elements/plot points but I'm tired so I'll stick with this for now-  Even though Luna is barely in the game it's heartbreaking thinking you travel all that way just to see her briefly in a crowd, and she knows she's going to die! Right in the feels!

Thought this was worth sharing, it's an interesting watch/listen. 

Don't get me wrong, huge, huge fan of the game, still reflecting on it now days after I finished and still playing BUT when you realise how much has been cut it is a bit eye opening. Only watch/listen to it if you've finished the story though cos there is spoilers.

53 minutes ago, Broker said:

I've seen that video linked to a bunch of times now, is there anything interesting or convincing regarding what things were cut or are they just discussing the obvious omissions?

It depends on what you find interesting, as @Gorf King said above, and actually having read his post I agree, the story doesn't need all this extra stuff filling in, I played it and loved the story, had a quick search around as to a certain post-credits scene but other than that it made perfect sense. 

What I found interesting was (spoilered just in case:) 

Apparently during the World of Ruin, (Dark world/Old Noctis) a few months before launch, the entire map was explorable there. You originally were supposed to venture round this dark, demon infested take on the world, visit Iris/Cor and find out what they've been doing before then travelling round and reassembling your bro team as its noted that they spent the years apart. 

Other areas were also fully developed and ready to play but were cut, for instance when you are on the train and get out to see Shiva's giant body by the tracks, that whole area was explorable, same with Tenebrae, originally when you got there, everything was Ok, you could go to Luna's mansion and then the empire invade and you fight your way back to the train, just stuff like that.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to hear what people think about certain parts of the end. 

When Noctis descends into the other realm and Ardyn is waiting for him, his father, the old kings and the bros all appear along with Luna to banish him for one last time. When I saw this, I assumed the bros were there as a representation of strength etc but I've read in various places, people saw it and assumed they died holding off the daemons outside. 

Similiarly in the post-credits scene with Noctis + Luna married, I took this as they meet up again in the afterlife but others are saying it's some sort of time thing where it becomes reality, almost like a reset button (although to me that seems like too much of a cop out. The devs themselves have said it was kept vague on purpose so you can draw your own conclusion, just interested in what other people thought.

30 minutes ago, Varsity said:

It depends on what you find interesting, as @Gorf King said above, and actually having read his post I agree, the story doesn't need all this extra stuff filling in, I played it and loved the story, had a quick search around as to a certain post-credits scene but other than that it made perfect sense. 

What I found interesting was (spoilered just in case:) 

Hide contents

Apparently during the World of Ruin, (Dark world/Old Noctis) a few months before launch, the entire map was explorable there. You originally were supposed to venture round this dark, demon infested take on the world, visit Iris/Cor and find out what they've been doing before then travelling round and reassembling your bro team as its noted that they spent the years apart. 

Other areas were also fully developed and ready to play but were cut, for instance when you are on the train and get out to see Shiva's giant body by the tracks, that whole area was explorable, same with Tenebrae, originally when you got there, everything was Ok, you could go to Luna's mansion and then the empire invade and you fight your way back to the train, just stuff like that.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to hear what people think about certain parts of the end. 

Hide contents

When Noctis descends into the other realm and Ardyn is waiting for him, his father, the old kings and the bros all appear along with Luna to banish him for one last time. When I saw this, I assumed the bros were there as a representation of strength etc but I've read in various places, people saw it and assumed they died holding off the daemons outside. 

Similiarly in the post-credits scene with Noctis + Luna married, I took this as they meet up again in the afterlife but others are saying it's some sort of time thing where it becomes reality, almost like a reset button (although to me that seems like too much of a cop out. The devs themselves have said it was kept vague on purpose so you can draw your own conclusion, just interested in what other people thought.

On the first spoiler:

Personally I'd heard that it was only a few areas of WOR Lucis that were going to be explorable such as Lestallum, but time robbed that bit. There were also models created for older versions of various characters, including one for Cindy which was nowhere near as cringe-inducing. You'd meet your bros one-by-one. I mean, Talcott practically says all of the above to you in-game, so that's not too wild to imagine having been a thing.

The traintrack area/Tenebrae was probably cut, but who knows what was going to be there? I don't think that there's enough remaining in-game content to imagine what it was going to be, so maybe they could use it for some DLC stuff or whatever.

For the second:

I've seen a comment from the main director (Nomura?) saying that the campfire scene is supposed to be some kind of "afterlife" reunion for da boys, now able to kick back and fuck getting up at 6.

Finished it last night. Enjoyed it, but it does have its faults, which I've posted below in the second spoiler. I will say this though - They did a good job of making the party relatable, via cutscenes as well as interactions in game (see my previous post, cracked me up when that happened in that dungeon!).

As to the ending...

I refuse to believe the bro's died at the end. If they can survive all them daemons while you run off to the crystal *while Ignis is fucking blind and cant fight properly*, then there's no way 3-4 crap low level iron giants can wipe them out! :P Oh well its all up to personal interpretation I guess.

Concerning the story being a bit off/needing patches, only a few things should be patched in, cut-scene wise, in my opinion, more to flesh out the story rather than anything else:

One being Ravus' sudden change of character that you only find out about from the maid at Tenebrae. Before this he's a full on bad guy/Niff lap dog, both in the film and the game. Found that a little jarring really. The second being the backstory to Ifrit and the Starscourge. I've looked on the wiki page for this after finishing the game, and its all there, but it isn't even mentioned in the game anywhere why Ifrit is an enemy, or any of the Solheim stuff with the Starscourge apart from some vague stuff about the Astral War, and its aftermath (that huge ravine in game). Pretty important I thought, to know the origins of the thing that's causing all the daemons to pop up, and why Ifrit did it.

I liked Kingsglaive btw, far more than I thought I would, despite having a plot hole concerning a fairly major character.

It was funny though, re-watching the scene before the signing ceremony, where Ardyn toasts the four people he'll hang in the throne room at the end of the game, including Nyx.

Overall I enjoyed the whole thing. Looking forward to the dlc. Now to wrap up the trophies and do all the endgame stuff.

The game is the sequel, although the start of the game is happening at the same time as the film more or less. Its pretty obvious as you get farther into the game though.

I agree, Sean Bean should have done the voice of the king in the game, as it would have been a more complete package then, though I'm glad they didn't have Lena Heady do the voice of Luna in the game, as the voice in the film sounded too old for the character.

18 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

The game is the sequel, although the start of the game is happening at the same time as the film more or less. Its pretty obvious as you get farther into the game though.

I agree, Sean Bean should have done the voice of the king in the game, as it would have been a more complete package then, though I'm glad they didn't have Lena Heady do the voice of Luna in the game, as the voice in the film sounded too old for the character.

Yea I thought she was an odd choice to be fair...and couldn't get Cersei Lannister out of my head lol

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Nah, he'll even drive himself after a while, so you don't have to. I forget what triggers it now though.

Level 30

3 hours ago, cassidy said:

Took down that turtle yesterday morning.  Just gotta get my fishing to 10 now, then it's time to complete chapters 11-13.

What level were you? I'm 57 in postgame currently but not tried it cos ive been busy with sidequesting and the like. Any tips for Crestholm Channels by the way from anyone? Think it's a 45 dungeon, I've gone in at least 5 levels higher a few times and keep getting my ass handed to me.