Do japanese devs read forums?

Capwn

Like, well over FIVE YEARS ago people were moaning about being pushed back so far after dying in a game and having to retread old ground. Also, unskippable cut scenes. I'm currently playing Skyward Sword, loving it but it just blows my mind that this sort of practice is still in effect. It's like, come on, by now surely you know that the general consensus is that this is not cool. Of course, this is tongue in cheek, there are Japanese Developers who are following feedback like many Western studios such as Capcom, kojima productions, platinum games and Grasshoppers etc. It's not just the things mentioned above, I also still find other lazy classic practices in Japanese games such as invisible walls.

Yes, I'm actually Shigeru Miyamoto, any questions?

Yes, why do you not let players skip cut scenes out of curiousity? It's a really easy thing to code, maybe just MAYBE I'd let you off the hook a bit if you forced the player to watch it the first time but EVERY time they die after that? That's just mental, it makes no sense. Please relay this to everyone in your offices. Thanks.

Stuff like that boggles my tiny mind as well. I guess the scottcr's of the world would cry murder if they dared mess too much with age old conventions - in the case of Zelda. But then again they do change some stuff so I just don't know.

They're always reading them, especially English language forums, just for the satisfaction of reading about people like you Capwn, perpetually frustrated by unskippable cutscenes and game deaths that take you back to the start. They know that the game compels you to finish, so why not add a bit of sadistic frustation along the way?

Enjoy, white boy.

It's probably something to do with venerable Japanese developers knowing better than you and 99.9% of people on gaming forums what makes a good game.

For example, as most Japanese developers will tell you, "being pushed back so far after dying in a game and having to retread old ground" is usually good design, not bad. You'd only consider it bad design if you were the kind of moron that uses continues on shmups or quick-saves every minute on FPS's, ruining much of the fun for yourself.

The item collecting 'notes' every time you switch on to play Zelda SS is the largest flaw (in a japanese title) I've seen in years. How, how the hell did the game testers not see that one as a pain in the ass.

"But Miyamoto-san, we've reached 39 hours of unskippable gameplay! Can we go home now?"

"When I say 40 hours of gameplay, I mean you'll never see you families again if you can't get finish it by tonight you little shits!"

You can skip cutscenes in Skyward. Just not the first time.

You can and you can't. For some reason if Girahim talks before a boss fight you have to listen to his speech again. Then it'll let you skip the boss intro.

Odd.

Hang on, you've seen the Skyward Sword game over screen?

A few times now.

I don't know about Japanese developers, but there are definitely US/EU developers reading these boards. Some are known as they post about their work, but others lurk and might send a PM if they read something they agree or disagree with or want to tell the background about without going 'public'. It happened to me a couple of times in the past few years.

I must admit i was getting a bit annoyed with not being able to skip scenes in skyward sword, even if you can press 2 to skip you gotta sit through the text blurb again. Although its not as bad as when I played through Kingdom Hearts, im sure i wasted a few hours sitting through cut scenes over and over again.

There was a recent interview with Miyamoto where he says he rejects 70% of his staff's suggestions. Ideas like making cut scenes skippable must be one of these insane suggestions that Shigsy vetos for the good of mankind.