IGNORED

Shock! Someone who dislikes: Halo

NEG

Review by Dragnfly

So this is Halo. Years in the making, a supposed game sent by God himself to completely revolutionize the gaming industry... Geez. When am I gonna stop believing that crap? As with my last review I'll be joined by Rieka, a review tag narrator (what she says is in italics)

Control: 9/10 Despite the weird controller it's good for FPS action

It's actually quite good. You're given a choice to invert the targeting if you want but I just left it normal. In truth though it's pretty cut and paste. Modern FPS games need to TRY to have bad controls.

Story: 3/10 HR Geiger is turning over in his grave.

I'll admit too. The first part of the game has a REALLY big Aliens feel to it. Except the fire fights against Jawa Elite Soldiers. Then I was reminded of Ishuki in level two. Then I just ignored what I was reminded of. As the game progresses it seems to be more locale driven than story driven. Not my cup of tea.

BGM: 6/10 I wonder if Napster runs on an X-box.

The soundtrack is cool. No kicking awesome music like Guilty Gear X or such but the music is definitely nice to listen to..

Sound Effects: 5/10 AGAIN with the Jawas

Nothing special here too. The sound effects work with it but it's nothing different than the sound effects to the other 50 bazillion FPS games. The alien sound effects are decent but could use more variation. When you're fighting hoards of them and they're all repeating the same two noises it gets very annoying.

Graphics: 6/10 I thought the in-game graphics to this were supposed to look like FF8's FMV graphics.

Repeating, dead and un active. That describes the graphics here. The animation is pretty bad and the characters talk like Nutcracker dolls, exhibiting poor expression. I've also managed to float several objects, abusing the collision detection to my advantage. I was amazed that American McGee's Alice has far better graphics. Just how much of that HUGE budget was spent on coffee and gambling addictions?

Fun Factor: 6/10 Unlike recent FPS which try to add elements of strategy, Halo takes us back to the Wolfenstein days of factory-assembled gameplay for good nostalgia... awwww... Who am I kidding?

It got old REALLY quick. About 5 hours into it to be more precise. The whole element of `it walks on the screen, shoot it until it dies, take it's gun.' managed to keep me alive the entire time.

In Halo you can only carry two weapons and two grenades at a time. This was an an attempt to increase the game's difficulty but it only made battles take far longer and encompass far less action. You spend more time hiding until the enemies break pursuit, finding one of the trillions </exaggeration> of discarded weapons and then getting your revenge so as to conserve ammo for the larger fire fights which are actually quite rare.

Difficulty: 3/10 (on NORMAL) CLEARLY made for multiplayer. Not a bad thing but if the 1PM of a console game isn't good the game's gonna loose points. See PSO.

NOTE: The closer to 5 this rating gets, the better it is.

The days of Doom where hordes of monsters, weak and strong attack en masse are long since gone. It seems the game doesn't like sending monsters at you in large groups. When I played on Normal and when I played on Legendary two or three of the 10 monsters would charge me while the others just sat and watched. This means the Sniper Rifle rules all weapons. The AI is extremely passive. Although it only happened ONCE on Legendary (but all the time on Normal) an enemy would watch as I moved in close and nailed him in the head with a non-zoomed rifle shell.

And what about that time the alien kept firing at that rock and I just walked up from behind and nailed him?

Clearly the AI needs a psychiatrist. Either that or an educational book on `friend, foe and NEUTRAL'.

Feel: 3/10 I almost forgot what game I was playing sometimes.

No matter where I was in this game it reminded me of something else. The FF movie, Aliens, various animes, Red Faction... It's quite the list. There's nothing that feels unique about playing this game. I felt kind of strange when I enjoyed a piece of it because a part of me was telling myself something was dreadfully wrong.

Overall: 4/10

KEEP AWAY unless you absolutely must play every single over-hyped FPS out there.

I'm kind of sorry I rented this. Normally if I rent a bad game I still enjoy it somewhat because we all get a good laugh. With Halo it's different. I really wanted to like it but it just lacked so much substance. Keep away unless you're dangerously curious. Better yet, just play a friend's copy and see for yourself.

Reviewer's Score: 4 / 10, Originally Posted on 11/18/2001

--------------------------

No comments, besides the fact I have not played Halo myself. Ho hum.

( NEG )

I hate Zelda Windwaker.

There are people who hate Rez.

There are people who hate Ico.

There are people who hate Gran Turismo.

There are people who hate Virtua Fighter.

Why bother? No game so great or there'll be some people who hate it. So fucking what? The only point in posting stuff like this is to get the trolls in and get the mudslinging starting.

I hate Zelda Windwaker.

Why bother? No game so great or there'll be some people who hate it. So fucking what? The only point in posting stuff like this is to get the trolls in and get the mudslinging starting.

Duh. But its a laugh when reviewers don't express the reasons WHY they dislike it, or just not getting the idea of it, or not spending enough time with it.

It also prehaps shows what other people think about a game that, nearly everywhere gets "OMG THIS IS SO FECKING GOOOOOODDD AAARRGGHH HEART ATTACK" type reviews.

I for one like these threads, whats up with all this 'no game can make everyone happy, these threads are pointless' type crap?

I enjoy them because its fun to hate idiot reviewers, the threads do no harm, and I've seen alot worse (notably mine...), so, yeah, keep the threads coming man.

I for one like these threads, whats up with all this 'no game can make everyone happy, these threads are pointless' type crap?

I enjoy them because its fun to hate idiot reviewers, the threads do no harm, and I've seen alot worse (notably mine...), so, yeah, keep the threads coming man.

Gee thanks man. I guess this wont be the last after all then :o

Gee thanks man. I guess this wont be the last after all then  :o

That's just one person. We all hate them.

But why? You don't have to read them, in fact, its the people who hate them that are keeping this thread near the top.

All it is, is a thread showing us someone's rather strange opinion, what is wrong with that, exactly?

I hate Zelda Windwaker.

I thought REZ was shit.

Never played ICO.

WE JUST DON'T CARE ANY MORE.

Although I'll point out that Giger had nothing at all to do with the plot of Aliens.

Indeed. Giger might have some inspired visions, but if you've ever looked at his Necronomicon series of work, you'll find that most of it composes of willies.

But why? You don't have to read them, in fact, its the people who hate them that are keeping this thread near the top.

All it is, is a thread showing us someone's rather strange opinion, what is wrong with that, exactly?

Nothing, I just like winding up NEG.

Nothing, I just like winding up NEG.

Oh, well I'm all for that ;) .

Indeed. Giger might have some inspired visions, but if you've ever looked at his Necronomicon series of work, you'll find that most of it composes of willies.

If he'd actually written any of the Alien films, they would've been live-action Hentai.

FACT.

If he'd actually written any of the Alien films, they would've been live-action Hentai.

FACT.

That thought has given me an instant horn.