Shock! Someone who dislikes: Halo

NEG

Like the old saying goes, "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one." Reviews are nothing more than opinions. Problem with the above "review" is that this person is obviously talking out of his / her arse, and them having rented the game shows you how much time they spent on it. Pinch of salt.

I haven't posted in any of the previous threads but I've quite enjoyed reading these 'unconventional' reviews. If only because I can laugh at their uncalculable idiocy.

What I would love to read is a negative review of a game generally considered to be a classic, by someone who could string two sentences together and give a reason for their opinion.

One thing I did find hilarious was

'And what about that time the alien kept firing at that rock and I just walked up from behind and nailed him? '

This happened to me on Legendary; the Elites kept firing at a rock which I was hiding behind, even after I'd snuck around behind them. I nearly clapped with admiration for the AI. No cheating here, they really 'thought' I was still behind that rock.

Outstanding.

Anyway, I think one of these topics a week is a perfectly reasonable frequency.

Do you know what annoys me most about these threads?

No - of course you don't!

What annoy's me most is the"Part X" bit of the subject.

"Shock! Someone who dislikes: Halo, Part 7"

Suggest to me, this is the 7th part of the "Shock! Someone who dislikes: Halo" discussion.

AND IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Truth be told outside the land of this forum I know more people who dislike Halo than like it (Xbox version), also true of Mario 64.

Precisely.

I have to restrain myself though, since I'm firmly in the "Halo is shite" camp, yet I wouldn't exactly agree with the finer points on that "review".

Shit art direction.

Utterly crap artistic execution.

Shit plot.

It's an unbelievably generic FPS (which I've been bored of since 1996)

The music is utter arse.

It is actually a step backwards from many other FPS' in many respects including lack of online-ness

This game, along with Metropolis Street Racer, have convinced me that people can make themselves believe something is good if they want it to be true.

The scary thing about Halo is how easy it would be to improve it. Put in the characters, plot and imagination from Whacked and Kung Fu Chaos for a start.

The scary thing about Halo is how easy it would be to improve it. Put in the characters, plot and imagination from Whacked and Kung Fu Chaos for a start.

You said 'improve', right? ;)

Yes.

Start by removing the unnecessary pretense of a psuedo-realistic universe.

As 'realistic' a universe as you can get with phallic aliens.

Serious point for a second though . . . has anyone ever met anyone who dislikes the Alien movies but likes Halo? I kind of get the impression the two are connected in fanbases.

(You might have guessed I'm no Alien trilogy fan).

Serious point for a second though . . . has anyone ever met anyone who dislikes the Alien movies but likes Halo? I kind of get the impression the two are connected in fanbases.

(You might have guessed I'm no Alien trilogy fan).

I've not seen any Alien movies. How weird is that?!

I like Halo though, not for art direction or whatever, but the near-perfect combat mechanics and co-op mode.

Super!

I like Halo though, not for art direction or whatever, but the near-perfect combat mechanics and co-op mode.

Co-op mode aside, from the mechanics pov I find TimeSplitters2 the better game, due to the simplicity of the whole thing. It just makes perfect sense.

Truth be told outside the land of this forum I know more people who dislike Halo than like it (Xbox version), also true of Mario 64.

Precisely.

I have to restrain myself though, since I'm firmly in the "Halo is shite" camp, yet I wouldn't exactly agree with the finer points on that "review".

Shit art direction.

Shit plot.

The music is utter arse.

It is actually a step backwards from many other FPS' in many respects including lack of online-ness

This game, along with Metropolis Street Racer, have convinced me that people can make themselves believe something is good if they want it to be true.

Maybe it is you who is missing something.

Halo was an enormously enjoyable and impeccably made game for me. For what it's worth I also loved MSR. What incentive would I have had for convincing myself that it, or Halo were brilliant if they weren't?

I simply enjoyed them very much and felt that they represented vidoe game production of the highest order.

And anyone who plays computer games for their plots needs to read a book or two.

Precisely.

Shit art direction.

Shit plot.

The music is utter arse.

Two of my Favourite games of all time ;)

The music is great....sometimes when it kicks in just as you're about the take on a huge number of covenant/flood it sends a shiver down my spine, without being obtrusive...

The artistic direction is great...the design of the covenant and flood are consistent

And what exactly is wrong with plot.....it's harder to find something 'specific' other than 'it's shit'. Aside from the fact that SPOILER

however many soldiers you try to keep alive throughout the game, you can only escape alone I can't see any major flaws in it. The idea of humans and covenant both falling prey to a superior enemy etc works pretty well, adding a new faction midway through...

And surely any FPS is going to be generic in one way of another?

I'm not sure that saying "Shite art direction" is any better than "it's shite" for constructive criticism..needs more details m'friend...

And online, schmonline....yeah, all games should have it now I guess, but I don't go online, most of my non rllmuk freinds don't game online, and I'm guessing Xbox live take-up still hasn't pervaded the majority of gamers. So while it should have it, the absence of online stuff is a minor flaw.

And that'll be cured by Halo 2.....

Wait a minute.

You're one of them trolly-thingies aren't you.... ;)

Whacked is wack......and although I can have a laugh with Kung Fu Chaos, it loses it's humour after about 30 minutes...(unless drunk).

Are you seriously suggesting I spend days of my life playing an FPS as shallow as Kung Fu Chaos????

Without wishing to be offensive, I'm guessing you prefer Neighbours to The West Wing <_<

How about . . .

Halo is crap for exactly the same reasons Linkin Park are.

That might seem nonsensical, but sums up exactly what most people I've met don't like about it.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

<_<

You make-a no sense.

Good to see a well-backed up argument anyway. Good work. ;)

How about . . .

That might seem nonsensical, but sums up exactly what most people I've met don't like about it.

<_<

You make-a no sense.

OK.

I'll elaborate.

Halo is aimed, rather blatantly and successfully, at 14 year old teenage guys. It appeals so successfully to that demographic that people either outside it, or grown out of it, can actually find it repulsive really quickly.

Of course there's the odd exception, but by and large, Halo represents everything ridiculous about angsty teenagers.

Co-op mode aside, from the mechanics pov I find TimeSplitters2 the better game, due to the simplicity of the whole thing. It just makes perfect sense.

Halo doesn't make perfect sense?

Erm, no. If anything, Halo is far simpler as you learn one routine and then apply and adapt it to fit the different situations on the fly.

Halo is aimed, rather blatantly and successfully, at 14 year old teenage guys. It appeals so successfully to that demographic that people either outside it, or grown out of it, can actually find it repulsive really quickly.

Of course there's the odd exception, but by and large, Halo represents everything ridiculous about angsty teenagers.

<_<

I honestly have no idea where you managed to get that from.

I think you have issues... with something. Possibly. ;)

How about . . .

<_<

You make-a no sense.

OK.

I'll elaborate.

This is more bizarre than your other post.

What has Halo got to do with angsty teenagers?

I'm 31 by the way and don't even know what a Linkin Park is.

The whole dark angry psuedo heroics of the thing.

It's pure geek fantasy land, and that's why lots of people here like it.

I was under the impression lots of people liked it because it has the best AI of any first person shooter ever made on any platform by a considerable distance. Have I misunderstood my own experience, I wonder?

I think you have problems not accepting that someone might dislike it.

Oh, I accept that just fine. I just find your reasoning (it's shit cos teenagers like it) to be little bit... strange.

Do you have an opinion of your own?

I fully accept your right to like it. I just then take that to imply all your other taste is suitably off the mark.

Que?

I was under the impression lots of people liked it because it has the best AI of any first person shooter ever made on any platform by a considerable distance. Have I misunderstood my own experience, I wonder?

If that were true, then do you really expect a game which looks like Wind Waker, and set in that universe, but played exactly like Halo would be appreciated by the same set of people?

Isn't that true of a lot of video games?

As I said before anyone playing games for the plots needs to read a book or two.

Besides that, the plot in Halo is merely a skeleton around which they hang some fantastic discrete episodes. The fun in Halo was not in discovering the plot but in each individual enemy encounter.

All in my opinion of course. I have no problem with you not liking it or your reasons for doing so.

I love Halo, but the whole hero thing, the whole 'cop who doesn't quite play by the rules/dirty harry' thing (sort of), that makes me cringe, badly, not on quite the level that FF7 did (I don't think anything will surpass that purely because I've made sure to stay away from japanese rpgs...)...basically, I HATE, that type of thing in a game, I already quite hate stories in a game. And yet, the gameplay was so good, so polished, that I came back for more on legendary, at which point the game became something very special indeedy.