Shock! Someone who dislikes: Halo

NEG

If that were true, then do you really expect a game which looks like Wind Waker, and set in that universe, but played exactly like Halo would be appreciated by the same set of people?

I don't see your point. Halo's story is tosh, but the challenge presented by the characters you face, and the scale of the levels, and the enjoyment of co-op et al is why I like it. The style is neither here nor there as regards its success as a game.

Not that I'd object to being 14 again, mind.

The thing I like most about these threads is that when a reply is up in the latest post on the mainpage it reads something like (taking the most recent example):

"Shock! Someone who dislikes... sausage"

;)

I hadn't noticed that, clearly this universe, unsuprisingly, does not like me...

The whole dark angry psuedo heroics of the thing.

It's pure geek fantasy land, and that's why lots of people here like it.

Isn't that true of a lot of video games?

Not the ones I like no.

And that I guess, is the point.

So what games do you like then?

Just curious.

Not the ones I like no.

Hmm you've adroitly ignored the second part of my post; The plot of Halo is an aside not the defining aspect of the game.

The plot of Super Monkey Ball 2 made me want to gag, but it's still a brilliant game.

I never really thought that the Master Chief was a Dirty Harry type character... I always thought that he was essentially like me.

;)

He has a huge ego (judging from your post, maybe he is like you then <_< ), you know, like on the maw where he crashes that thing and 'cortana' was telling him to pull up...

OK.

I'll elaborate.

Halo is aimed, rather blatantly and successfully, at 14 year old teenage guys. It appeals so successfully to that demographic that people either outside it, or grown out of it, can actually find it repulsive really quickly.

Of course there's the odd exception, but by and large, Halo represents everything ridiculous about angsty teenagers.

Hmmmm

Given that I don't hang around with 14-year-old teenagers I can't particularly reference conclusive figures, but I can say my late 20's gf enjoys it, as does this mid 20's bloke....and most of the people I tend to game with are around 18-30 male and female.

As for repulsive, surely that's more along the lines of Manhunt, or Grand Theft Auto? Or FPS's in general? Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Castle Wolfenstein have all had the rather repulsive notion of killing people for fun.

As for a shaky plot in halo, I actually think it's ok. Sure it lacks depth, but this is a game, not a novel. The master chief's motivation throughout most of it is survival, and locating and resucing the captain. The Covenant and humans are already at war, so the animosity is well established.

Plot doesn't necessarly make a bad game...e.g. Sonic, Manic Miner etc.....How about Mario letting the sodding Princess get kidnapped yet again ;) , but a good one can add to it, and I think Halo's does.

It taps into the common male fantasy about playing soldiers, adds in some pretty space stuff, and makes the aliens kinda cute (grunts) but different and interesting enough to make killing them pleasurable...they're vaguely humanoid to enable identification, but far enough apart to suggest fantasy.

Add in the bigger landscapes, warthogs, banshees etc and you've got a damn good, polished game.

And then multi-player takes it to a whole new world... B)

Halo is a shit game because Master Chief's motives for killing are not made clear at the start. It's just so unbelievable.

2/10

Humans are at war with the Covenant.

Covenant attack the ship.

Ship crashes

Hundreds of humans killed.

I think that'd be the motivation.

Not the ones I like no.

Hmm you've adroitly ignored the second part of my post; The plot of Halo is an aside not the defining aspect of the game.

The plot of Super Monkey Ball 2 made me want to gag, but it's still a brilliant game.

Good example, except the plot of SMB2 is actually aware of its own stupidity. (And plots as ridiculous as SMB2 deserve to be applauded for total irrelevance to proceedings). Halo doesn't seem to be, and takes itself far too seriously. It's a game dammit. As people have said, if they wanted cinematic intention make a damn film.

It's one of those elements that's so terrible (btw I'm including plot/art etc. all in one lump since one tends to guide the other) it detracts from the whole experience, whereas the premise monkey's in balls is already ridiculous so it fits in with the package.

Of course, the real issue is the premise of space marines fighting aliens is utterly ridiculous, but Halo asks to be believed. And fails. Monkey Ball succeeds because it never makes any pretense to "immersion", never feeling like "i am the plane, and he is my pet monkey in a ball". I don't know about anyone else, but I always feel like I'm sat on front of my arse in front of a tv, and these things I'm seeing aren't real.

The same can be said of TS2. It knows it's utterly ridiculous in concept. Yet it's insanity works because it accepts it.

When you look back on the history of the arts the things that age spectacularly badly are those pieces that refuse to accept the limits of the age, or stick to firmly to the fashions of the time, without being aware of their own timeliness. This is particularly notable in film. If you think of the great films of all time, you can include barely any of the CG-fests, because they become unwatchable so quickly. The feeling most people get here when seeing a piece of dated CG treated as convincing in a film (by the actors) is exactly the sensation I get when seeing/playing Halo.

It has already dated technically (the graphics were never good)

Artistically it's in HR Gigers phallic void, which all people in the non-geek world gave up on 10/15 years ago

I fail to accept it's a decent game as a result.

Fine, your choice, and your loss, because you're letting yourself be put off by the aspects that are least important to making a game a game, i.e. you cover everything bar the mechanics, which are superb, and yet to be bettered. But there's no accounting for taste. I despise everything related to The Matrix for pretty much exactly the same reasons you give, but then they're movies.

Of course, the real issue is the premise of space marines fighting aliens is utterly ridiculous, but Halo asks to be believed. And fails.

Does it? And does it?

Are you suggesting that it is asking you to believe that what is happening is 'real' in some way?

And I find it easier to 'believe' in the proceedings when the battles are played out so consistently naturally. None of this obvious scripting malarky.

Monkey Ball succeeds because it never makes any pretense to "immersion", never feeling like "i am the plane, and he is my pet monkey in a ball".

I don't ever feel like that about anything. Not Halo, not Monkey Ball, nothing. Anyone who does, I think needs to get out more.

The same can be said of TS2. It knows it's utterly ridiculous in concept. Yet it's insanity works because it accepts it.

It's also a quantifiably worse game in more or less every technical way possible.

When you look back on the history of the arts the things that age spectacularly badly are those pieces that refuse to accept the limits of the age, or stick to firmly to the fashions of the time, without being aware of their own timeliness.

How is Halo 'aware' of anything? It's a piece of software. It doesn't 'age' or 'date' or whatever.

It has already dated technically (the graphics were never good)

Except that they were, and are.

Artistically it's in HR Gigers phallic void, which all people in the non-geek world gave up on 10/15 years ago

Have you actually played it, or just looked at the pretty pictures on the box?

Artistically, it's totally unlike Giger. Where did you get the impression that is mimicked it? It's actually far more consciously videogame-ish, with very sleek, modern, concrete structures and fairly naturalistic environments. The concept- that of war against a force determined to eradicate your race- is something any socially aware human being on the planet can understand, and the overtones of it are even more alarming to anyone who can understand the evening news.

It saddens me that you could read Look to Windward and gain nothing from it but anger that it features such a far-fetched world.

When you look back on the history of the arts the things that age spectacularly badly are those pieces that refuse to accept the limits of the age, or stick to firmly to the fashions of the time, without being aware of their own timeliness.

How is Halo 'aware' of anything? It's a piece of software. It doesn't 'age' or 'date' or whatever.

Hehe.

Things date.

Film IS software, in a very real sense. As is music.

Film and music date. Games date.

Halo will date horrifically badly. Basically it will be forgotten when the next heralded FPS saviour comes along.

For those of us that remember Doom the first time around, we remember being awed. It was awesome. Going back, you realise just how stupid that was, on almost every level. The Halo lovers will feel the same in the future, whereas the likes of Monkey Ball will stand the test of time.

Hehe.

Things date.

Only food. And, like, people 'n shit.

Halo will date horrifically badly. Basically it will be forgotten when the next heralded FPS saviour comes along.

That's silly.

It won't change, it won't date, it will be the same as it always was and always is. It is a collection of ones and zeros on a disc of optical media, and that'll never change. You can take your 'fashions' and stick somewhere unpleasant.

For those of us that remember Doom the first time around, we remember being awed. It was awesome. Going back, you realise just how stupid that was, on almost every level.

Doom is still a good game. Duh.

For those of us that remember Doom the first time around, we remember being awed. It was awesome. Going back, you realise just how stupid that was, on almost every level.

If you in all seriousness believe that then I'm astonished.

It's a test of a programming technique. As a game it doesn't impress.

For those of us that remember Doom the first time around, we remember being awed. It was awesome. Going back, you realise just how stupid that was, on almost every level. The Halo lovers will feel the same in the future, whereas the likes of Monkey Ball will stand the test of time.

That's hardly a fair criticism of the game. I'm totally prepared to accept people can like and dislike a game but to say "in years to come it'll, er, not look or play as good" is stretching the point a fair bit.

The only fair example would be to look at similar games of this generation. Who these days talks about MoH: Frontline? Nobody, because it was a flash in the pan, heavily marketed, by-the-numbers pretty game of no substance at all, and it's fair to say Rising Sun will go the same way. It won't get the following Halo has because it's not as good a game, like every other FPS that's come along in the past few years. That's all there is to it.

unless you're rationalising that all old games are shit, you're going nowhere here.

Of course. Why wouldn't I?

I played it on my GBA a fair few months back, and it's fine. A decent shooter with lots of enemies, well paced levels and a nice learning curve.

You're a strange one. Does... not... compute...... ;)

Yeah, it hasn't dated at all. Not even graphically, in my opinion. I still really like the style of the game.

Doom is a classic, like Asteroids, like Tempest. It'll always be a good, 100% playable game. As will Halo.

Oh God are you in trouble.

It would appear, although I might be wrong, that I can sum up your opinions.

"I don't like FPS's"

There we go, entire argument in 4 words...