IGNORED

Shock! Someone who dislikes: Halo

NEG

For those of us that remember Doom the first time around, we remember being awed. It was awesome. Going back, you realise just how stupid that was, on almost every level. The Halo lovers will feel the same in the future, whereas the likes of Monkey Ball will stand the test of time.

That's hardly a fair criticism of the game. I'm totally prepared to accept people can like and dislike a game but to say "in years to come it'll, er, not look or play as good" is stretching the point a fair bit.

Fair point, although my problem with Halo is that it had dated on release.

As I've said, I feel its stuck in a sort of "still reading superhero comics" timewarp graphically and artistically. (The people I know that like it actually like it partly for that reason). One which meant it had dated before it had released.

As a game I also feel it doesn't have the distilled greatness of the finer examples of games this generation (if that makes sense).

At the end of the day, I'm not part of its target audience, who it obviously satisfies. (To anyone doubting my view on this, watch the Bungie interviews, and just look at the staff, and to what they obviously aspire). But the relentless insistence by said target audience that it is in fact the best game ever is quite ridiculous. Rather like someone taking some of the aforementioned superhero comics and holding them up as fine examples of modern art.

As a game I also feel it doesn't have the distilled greatness of the finer examples of games this generation (if that makes sense).

again, even if this were true, Halo DEFINES the greatness of fps gaming at the moment. nothing else comes close in its genre.

and you have still yet to give any criticism of Halo past 'artistically'.

what is wrong with the game exactly? or have you not got as far as playing it?

the relentless insistence by said target audience that it is in fact the best game ever is quite ridiculous

it IS the best fps ever. by an incalculable distance. you just don't like fps games. congratulations.

For those of us that remember Doom the first time around, we remember being awed. It was awesome. Going back, you realise just how stupid that was, on almost every level. The Halo lovers will feel the same in the future, whereas the likes of Monkey Ball will stand the test of time.

That's hardly a fair criticism of the game. I'm totally prepared to accept people can like and dislike a game but to say "in years to come it'll, er, not look or play as good" is stretching the point a fair bit.

Fair point, although my problem with Halo is that it had dated on release.

As I've said, I feel its stuck in a sort of "still reading superhero comics" timewarp graphically and artistically. (The people I know that like it actually like it partly for that reason). One which meant it had dated before it had released.

At the end of the day, I'm not part of its target audience, who it obviously satisfies. (To anyone doubting my view on this, watch the Bungie interviews, and just look at the staff, and to what they obviously aspire). But the relentless insistence by said target audience that it is in fact the best game ever is quite ridiculous. Rather like someone taking some of the aforementioned superhero comics and holding them up as fine examples of modern art.

I take your point stylistically. It's still Space Marines, after all. But then, it's a Sci-fi shooting game, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Playability wise it's unsurpassed by any FPS.

I played Halo in single player for the first time ever on pc. I wasn't expecting to like it much. I still didnt like the game after about an hours play. This all changed when i crash landed on planet..thingy.(forgot the name) The game really opened up. Big huge landscapes. Very detailed graphics. A work of art.

No game has ever made me smile sooo much. So much love and care has done into this game...its almost perfect.

When i look back now on what i found bad about Halo....I couldn't think of anything. :)

If games are art, then this game is the pinnacle of art.

Legitimate problems with Halo:

Some interiors are a bit samey. (Open to debate.)

There is the occasional bug.

The Warthog in particular is tricky to begin with.

Arming Grunts with Plasma Rocket Launchers is a bit unfair, because you can't pick them up yourself.

And that's about it. I've put in the hours to complete every level, in single and co-op, played pretty much a deathmatch every night for the past month, and played multiplayer online and and the EA meets.

Occasionally, a very bizarre headshot effect happens and one shot kills occur when maybe they shouldn't, but that might happen once out of 25 kills, and it's probably just a lucky headshot...

Arming Grunts with Plasma Rocket Launchers is a bit unfair, because you can't pick them up yourself.

wtf?

anything they use, you can pick up when they're dead.

what exactly is a PRL then, what does it do, and why haven't I seen one in 2 years of playing?

Not the 'plasma rocket launchers' (thats not their 'official' name btw).

Maybe you're getting mixed up with the plasma pistols that can charge up and shoot a simliar, but smaller, bolt of plasma.

I think they're a grunt-portable version of the Fuel Rod Cannon. They explode like plasma grenades when the grunt carrying them is killed, in the Xbox version at least. Gearbox quite nicely put them in as fully fledged Chiefable weapons in the PC version.

Ehh towards the end of the game you encounter some grunts that have weapons that can fire those big green bolts of plasma at you just like the big armoured aliens. Problem is when you kill a grunt with said weapon the weapon self destructs in a ball of green flame . . . GREEN FLAME!