If I recall, my memory of The Sopranos would be:

Season 1: Really good
Season 2: Really good
Season 3: Really good
Season 4: Little bit boring
Season 5: Really good, but getting a bit sillier
Season 6 part 1: Quite slow and boring
Season 6 part 2: Ramping up to the excitement of how it all ends

I was pounding through the series again, and while the opening episodes of the sixth season were phenomenal, the rest of the first half was pretty hard going. So much so that I haven't gone back to watch the second half of the season. I'm scared it'll disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

The bit that upset me the most in the whole series was [spoiler] Adriana getting killed. It seriously put me on a downer for the rest of the day. She wasn't a saint but she always seemed to represent a bit of the shows heart to me. Basically a good person making shitty decisions. You felt she could be redeemed and I always rooted for her. [/spoiler]

[quote name='Blue' timestamp='1324201630' post='8334984']
[spoiler][url="http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/"]Yes, bathroom guy whacks Tony.[/url][/spoiler]
[/quote]

Do we need to spoiler this? I assume we've all seen the series in here. Well, I'll spoiler it anyway.

[spoiler]It's a while since I read through that website, but I wasn't convinced beyond all doubt that that's DEFINITELY what happened. Some of his reasoning seemed a bit dodgy to me, IIRC. It's a valid theory, but my enjoyment of the show/the ending isn't enhanced by believing that that's what occurred. I'm just as happy with the alternate theory that his life goes on and we're just not there to see it. [/spoiler]

It's over a year since I last saw the ending though, and even longer since I read that website, so I might read it again. I don't think David Chase has ever said anything about it has he? Just a vague "there are clues, believe what you want" type stuff?

[quote name='Gavrock' timestamp='1324235728' post='8335818']
That's a great link Blue, thanks. I miss the show already.
[/quote]
Last scene of last episode spoilers of the worst kind:
[spoiler]Ha, brilliant, isn't it? His analysis is so detailed and impressive and seems totally convincing. I finished watching The Sopranos years ago and hadn't a clue what the last scene signified really. I found the scene extremely tense, waiting for something to happen. Felt like it was his daughter who was going to be killed but then, nothing happened. I only found that link this morning after reading your post so must thank you for it really, ha!
Should have posted the scene with the link:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqpDxCo2vic[/media][/spoiler]

[quote name='emjay2kay' timestamp='1324245514' post='8336091']
Do we need to spoiler this? I assume we've all seen the series in here. Well, I'll spoiler it anyway.

[spoiler]It's a while since I read through that website, but I wasn't convinced beyond all doubt that that's DEFINITELY what happened. Some of his reasoning seemed a bit dodgy to me, IIRC. It's a valid theory, but my enjoyment of the show/the ending isn't enhanced by believing that that's what occurred. I'm just as happy with the alternate theory that his life goes on and we're just not there to see it. [/spoiler]

It's over a year since I last saw the ending though, and even longer since I read that website, so I might read it again. I don't think David Chase has ever said anything about it has he? Just a vague "there are clues, believe what you want" type stuff?
[/quote]
Yeah, I went through the main points of the blog post with my other half tonight and she isn't convinced either. I'm totally convinced though. Chase apparently said “If you look at the final episode really carefully, it’s all there.” - which as the blogger points out, would be a strange thing to say if
[spoiler]Tony were still alive.[/spoiler]No?

Re. the final episode

[spoiler]Wow, somehow I hadn't really paid attention to the abrupt ending the first time. My memory of the final scene is that it ended in a "life goes on" kind of way with all the family together, which on second viewing, clearly isn't the case! Totally agree that there's only one way the cut to the end credits makes sense...

Really amazed that I missed that the first time, but it shows the 'depth' of the show (although that's not really the right word here).

My saddest moment? Had to be Chris's demise. We'd watched him struggle with drugs and his compulsive behaviour all the way through. Despite glimmers of hope where it looked as if he might get it under control, such as when he went to a writers' workshop (?), it all came to nothing. The moment when Tony decided enough was enough had been coming for a long time, but when it arrived it was still a shock - and it happened with one of my favourite Roger Waters performances as a soundtrack![/spoiler]
That's another thing. The soundtrack in The Sopranos was fantastic and introduced me to lots of music (predominantly American) I wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Aaah... fantastic series. I'm jealous of anyone who hasn't seen it yet. :)

[quote name='Majora' timestamp='1324243963' post='8336051']
The bit that upset me the most in the whole series was [spoiler] Adriana getting killed. It seriously put me on a downer for the rest of the day. She wasn't a saint but she always seemed to represent a bit of the shows heart to me. Basically a good person making shitty decisions. You felt she could be redeemed and I always rooted for her. [/spoiler]
[/quote]

Yeah this really got to me especially as it was [spoiler]Sil who pulls the trigger, and calls her a cunt. I think that's the first time you see him kill someone. He definitely appeared the most reasonable up until that point, and I hadn't really considered him capable fo doing such a thing until that episode. Plus Adrianna was stuck between a rock (FBI) and a hardplace (The Mafia) for what felt like forever. [/spoiler]

[quote name='KPatz' timestamp='1324254047' post='8336303']
Yeah this really got to me especially as it was [spoiler]Sil who pulls the trigger, and calls her a cunt. I think that's the first time you see him kill someone. He definitely appeared the most reasonable up until that point, and I hadn't really considered him capable fo doing such a thing until that episode. Plus Adrianna was stuck between a rock (FBI) and a hardplace (The Mafia) for what felt like forever. [/spoiler]
[/quote]

[spoiler]Wasn't Sil on the boat when they killed Pussy?[/spoiler]

[quote name='Blue' timestamp='1324246064' post='8336109']
Yeah, I went through the main points of the blog post with my other half tonight and she isn't convinced either. I'm totally convinced though. Chase apparently said “If you look at the final episode really carefully, it’s all there.” - which as the blogger points out, would be a strange thing to say if
[spoiler]Tony were still alive.[/spoiler]No?
[/quote]

[spoiler]No. Because the quote is "it's [i]all[/i] there". That guy completely ignores any point that doesn't adhere to his own agenda. For example: Carlo flipping is dismissed as irrelevant, like it was only put into the final scene as a red-herring. But perhaps rather than trying to provide a definitive answer, everything in that final episode happened the way it did to tell the viewer that this is Tony's life now - he can't even enjoy a quiet meal with his family because anyone that walks through the door could be coming to kill him, high-ranking members of his crew are willing to testify against him to save their own skin. We've known from the start that guys like Tony either end up getting whacked or sent to jail. So, maybe he got whacked that night, maybe he didn't... maybe he lived long enough to be convicted due to Carlo's testimony, maybe he somehow got out of that, too. The point is none of it really matters, it doesn't matter when it happens. That final season finally brought it home: there is no redemption for Tony. Even Melfi finally came to realise it.

Here's a post I made back in June 2007 in the original Sopranos thread (what happened to that thread, by the way?):

[quote]Everybody knows that the lifestyle Tony lives only allows for two endings; assassination or incarceration.

We know Carlo flipped and T would soon be indicted. Whatever happened in that last scene, it is finally clear that Tony isn't going to find a magical way out of it all. I think I speak for the majority of us when I say that we as viewers, have spent the last seven years almost blindly hoping that Tony would somehow prove to be the exception to the rule. The last 8 episodes ultimately took this option away and showed T for what he really is; a villain. A likeable villain but one nonetheless. The episode with Chrissy dashed my last hopes for a happy ending. Which is stupid because deep down I always knew that despite my fondness for the characters, they were the bad guys. It had to go wrong for T at some point, whether or not he survived that night in the diner (and I believe he did) his story was coming to its end. He would soon likely be imprisoned for his crimes and who would want to see that? And what point would it serve?

This was as close to the perfect ending as I could have hoped for. I was dreading seeing him get murdered and I've been dreading seeing him wind up in prison, for life. It is clear that one of these two options is the ending he faces, I'm just glad I don't have to face it with him. I'm happy that the last thing I saw him do was sit down for dinner with his family, with some cheesy, overly optimistic music playing in the background. Same goes for Paulie, sitting outside Satriale's, sunning himself. :D[/quote]

And here's a quote from Chase, probably the most telling thing he's said since the finale aired:

"I must say that even people who liked it misinterpreted it, to a certain extent. This wasn't really about "leaving the door open". There was nothing definite about what happened, but there was a clean trend on view - a definite sense of what Tony and Carmela's future looks like. Whether it happened that night or some other night doesn't really matter."[/spoiler]

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20152845,00.html

A lot of the quotes used in that blog were taken from this interview, and some of the blogger's theories clearly clash with Chase's answers. I believe the elaborate 'last supper' theory was first put forward in that blog (in its original form, back in 2007). I made a few detailed posts in relation to it back then, so apologies if I was a bit short of detail with my post about it this time around.

Thanks. He seems quite an unpleasant person in that interview, to me.

"This wasn't really about leaving the door open. There was nothing definite about what happened, but there was a clean trend on view — a definite sense of what Tony and Carmela's future looks like. Whether it happened that night or some other night doesn't really matter."

Thanks for the expanded quote also. I do think it still supports blog guy's interpretation of events and that his analysis is what is most strongly suggested in the scene.

• 1 month later...

Started watching this for the first time, thanks to a cheap box set.

Not sure what I was expecting, but it's nowhere near living up to the hype so far. I'm halfway through season four and finding it pretty slow going and, well, boring.

Relationships between a lot of the characters are stretched to the point of absurdity, especially Tony and his therapist. Their scenes are pure (deliberate?) comedy and almost unwatchable at this point.

Meadow turned into an arsehole overnight, AJ is suddenly reserved and shy. Awful character development.

Christopher and Adrianna are just cliched comedy characters. I find them beyond painful to watch.

Some of the unresolved plotlines are really confusing - Christopher and Paulie's (another ridiculous character) stranded in the woods episode for example.

I was expecting this to challenge my favourite shows - OZ and Breaking Bad - but it's not anywhere near close to being in the same league as those masterpieces.

Even the logo, with the handgun, is a piece of cliched shit.

OVERRATED.