IGNORED

The Sopranos

Haribokart

Was going to say the same. Sopranos and Mad Men include many different forms of comedy as well. I’d throw Deadwood on there as being intentionally hilarious.

Christopher talking about a 50 Cent DVD he got at a car wash is something that I often remember and start laughing about.

This was on Sky Atlantic the other evening and I just caught a bit.

What struck me was how sparse and empty the set looked in Tony/Carm's home mansion - it didn't look very lived in at all, like they had no budget to dress it. 

Was season 2 and of course it's still great but it looked very dated and very empty.

When they say things wrong cracks me up. I watched it all with the subs on (One because I'm old and fuckin' deef and two because I sometimes miss bits of dialogue.) Two that stand out from the last few episodes are

"That was the flyin' ointment!"

"I was prostate with grief"

Genius!

9 hours ago, Gotters said:

This was on Sky Atlantic the other evening and I just caught a bit.

What struck me was how sparse and empty the set looked in Tony/Carm's home mansion - it didn't look very lived in at all, like they had no budget to dress it. 

Was season 2 and of course it's still great but it looked very dated and very empty.

I think it was supposed to look that way.  

Carm spends money as she likes the finer things, even though it brings immense guilt, so everything is new, spotless.  Probably cleans a lot for some screwed up psycological reason or another.  Tony is hardly ever there, just fleeting visits to the kitchen for breakfast/meats or getting ready for bed (or outside tending to the ducks), Meadow goes away to college, A.J is in his room or out with friends...I think it's supposed to look a bit dead, clinical.  A facade.

A smile without the eyes...

On 11/03/2022 at 02:47, Mitchell said:

I think it was supposed to look that way.  

Carm spends money as she likes the finer things, even though it brings immense guilt, so everything is new, spotless.  Probably cleans a lot for some screwed up psycological reason or another.  Tony is hardly ever there, just fleeting visits to the kitchen for breakfast/meats or getting ready for bed (or outside tending to the ducks), Meadow goes away to college, A.J is in his room or out with friends...I think it's supposed to look a bit dead, clinical.  A facade.

A smile without the eyes...

Yeah, it's a "front". Looks normal family but is anything but

Somehow managed to make it to 36 years old without ever watching this as I didn’t have ready access to Sky. Now I do so I’ve started binging it about a week ago and I’m currently at the beginning of S5. Top quality TV and feeling a little ashamed at never having seen it before, also already  overcome with a feeling that I just don’t want it to end. Is there any better TV depiction than James’s depiction of Tony?!

After watching The Many Saints of Newark, the wife and I went back to The Sopranos and rewatched from the start.

To be honest, I’d missed a few of the episodes from the original run, so there was some storylines I’d either forgotten about or had missed first time round. We just finished it the other night, man what a great, great series. James Gandolfini carries a lot of the show, but the supporting cast are really brilliant. 

When the final scene is done, it’s one of those few TV programs where you think “I’m so grateful for having been able to experience this”. I also wonder how much impact the finale had on the popularity of “Don’t Stop Believin’” here in the UK, I mean Journey was never that big a band here in the 80s (the single got to number 62 when originally released).

And the finale…

Spoiler

Tony definitely lives. The feeling I get from it is that we’re seeing Tony’s life continues on, always looking over his shoulder. 

And the theory about Lilyhammer…

Spoiler

That it’s Silvio Dante’s coma dream, similar to Tony Soprano’s coma dream in Season 6 of the Sopranos? Pretty wild… But a character does say “it’s all a dream, Silvio” in Season 3 of Lilyhammer…..

On 10/03/2022 at 09:47, K said:

I re-watched the first couple of series a while back, and I'd also forgotten how funny it was. The episode where Chris & Adriana decide to get involved in the music industry is absolutely side-splitting, particularly the bit where you hear one of Adriana's group's songs, with the mad miaowing in the chorus.

This right here is why Chris' intervention is the best scene in The Sopranos. It has literally everything you could possibly hope for and carries all of the themes, the drama, the raw comedy you could want from any television show, comedies included. It's the culmination of various storylines that took years to build up; Chris' drug taking being the main element obviously but you've got everything from his Mother's alcoholism, Tony losing his horse, Chris' difficult relationship with Paulie, everything is in this four minutes. And it's all shining a light on the key theme of the show throughout. These men and their violence and the way that interacts and bumps up against the modern world and the people that love them. And then out of nowhere Sil delivers possibly the funniest speech in any show ever!?!? All the destruction this character has caused and Sil's just annoyed that he had to look at him with his head in the toilet and that's not a very nice thing to see. It's utter genius and a big part of why the show is so good on top of all the unforgettable dramatic moments. 

"I've said my piece Chrissy" 

On 15/03/2022 at 18:41, gone fishin said:

And the finale…

Interesting… 

Spoiler

Ah I’m surprised you say that about the final scene / the ending. To me it was quite clear cut that it was the opposite.  Would you feel differently about the show if you had perceived it that Tony died? 

3 minutes ago, kthxbliz said:

Interesting… 

Hide contents

Ah I’m surprised you say that about the final scene / the ending. To me it was quite clear cut that it was the opposite.  Would you feel differently about the show if you had perceived it that Tony died? 

Spoiler

I guess the ending is ambiguous enough where you can believe (or don’t stop believin’ ) whatever ending you want it to be.

But… I know there’s the theory that the final scene is structured around a “beat” of Tony’s face, followed by the door bell, then Tony’s POV with the final bit being where Tony doesn’t have a POV, because he’s dead. But the thing is, taking the whole final episode, there’s no-one really left who would take out a hit on Tony. He’s made amends with the New York family. There’s no other storyline implying that there’s an impending hit on Tony once Phil Leotardo has been taken care of (and even then, it’s really Phil who wants Tony killed, not anyone else in the NY family). 

In a way, the last episode actually feels like the first episode of a new season. Except it just stop for us as a viewer, because Tony’s life will go on the same.  It was interesting in the 20th anniversary cast reunion, Edie Falco spoke about how there was no additional scenes filmed that were cut, but her interpretation of the finale was that everything continued, it’s just that as a viewer, you no longer have access to it.

Maybe the thought of Tony living on, with Silvio in a coma, his Uncle no longer recognising him, his son a mess, his daughter a disappointment (and potential threat with her being a lawyer going after corrupt politicians) makes it worse for him than actually being killed.

I think if they had explicitly killed off Tony at the end, it would have been a poor finale. But having 15 seconds or so of black screen makes it so you can have whatever ending you want. Which was brilliant.

On 17/03/2022 at 22:31, gone fishin said:

Reveal hidden contents

I guess the ending is ambiguous enough where you can believe (or don’t stop believin’ ) whatever ending you want it to be.

But… I know there’s the theory that the final scene is structured around a “beat” of Tony’s face, followed by the door bell, then Tony’s POV with the final bit being where Tony doesn’t have a POV, because he’s dead. But the thing is, taking the whole final episode, there’s no-one really left who would take out a hit on Tony. He’s made amends with the New York family. There’s no other storyline implying that there’s an impending hit on Tony once Phil Leotardo has been taken care of (and even then, it’s really Phil who wants Tony killed, not anyone else in the NY family). 

In a way, the last episode actually feels like the first episode of a new season. Except it just stop for us as a viewer, because Tony’s life will go on the same.  It was interesting in the 20th anniversary cast reunion, Edie Falco spoke about how there was no additional scenes filmed that were cut, but her interpretation of the finale was that everything continued, it’s just that as a viewer, you no longer have access to it.

Maybe the thought of Tony living on, with Silvio in a coma, his Uncle no longer recognising him, his son a mess, his daughter a disappointment (and potential threat with her being a lawyer going after corrupt politicians) makes it worse for him than actually being killed.

I think if they had explicitly killed off Tony at the end, it would have been a poor finale. But having 15 seconds or so of black screen makes it so you can have whatever ending you want. Which was brilliant.

you should read this, it’s very comprehensive https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

22 hours ago, kthxbliz said:

yeah, I came across that from the earlier posts, it’s amazing going to it and realising it was originally written so long ago now! 

I’ve not read the entire post, but for me it focuses on the technicality of the final scene, the beat of Tony’s face, bell and what the camera is to be Tony’s point of view. Except the final scene doesn’t really follow that beat 100% (which the guy does admit to in the article), but the main thing is that it just focuses on the final scene, not the entire last episode. 

The thing for me, re-watching the entire 7 seasons again (ok, 6 and a half) what struck me was that I knew what the final scene was going to be and it was completely different when re-watching it. Sure, there’s huge amount of tension in the final scene, but leading up to it, it feels like everything’s been resolved and it’s back to another Sopranos season. In the context of the episode (and the entire final season), there’s no actual reason for there to be such huge tension. So, personally, I think it’s easy to take that whole final scene out of context and presume the ending that blog puts forward, but when adding in the context of the entire episode (and season), there’s no real reason for the ending the author proposes.

But hey, that’s what’s brilliant about it. Here we are, 15 years or so after it finished and we still talk about it!

Yep. That blog's an interesting explanation but calling it, or even what David Chase actually says about the ending, in any way definitive ruins what made that choice so brilliant in the first place. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Yep. That blog's an interesting explanation but calling it, or even what David Chase actually says about the ending, in any way definitive ruins what made that choice so brilliant in the first place. 

Spoiler

I think it’s deemed definite because Chase refers to it as the death scene in some of the quotes at the beginning of the article.