IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX)

Sprite Machine

My chronicled playthrough of the original Zelda (NES) in discussion was apparently quite popular, so now I'm playing through Link's Awakening for the very first time.

A quick background history. I've been playing Zelda games since Ocarina of Time on the N64, which I actually bought quite late (2000). Followed it up with Majora's Mask then Wind Waker on the 'Cube. After that, I went back to LttP courtesy of the GBA remake, and followed it up with Minish Cap. I got Twilight Princess on the Wii and am looking forward to Skyward Sword this Christmas. In the meantime, I've just completed the original NES Zelda on the 3DS almost entirely without help, and now I'm moving onto the Gameboy Color via the Virtual Console eShop on the 3DS.

As it's on a handheld, I actually get a fair bit of time during the week to play it, maybe an hour a day. I'll try to update the topic every couple of days. Not much to report at the moment. I've started the game (woo, a cutscene!), named my character, claimed my shield and have wandered down to the beach to find my sword.

It feels nice and smooth compared to the NES game, and chock full of detailed graphics. The dialogue text is rather big and slow, annoyingly.

So, there's a dungeon (it's still calling them 'levels'?) near the beach, which I need a key to enter. I've gone into the forest to look for the key, thanks to the helpful owl. There are a few enemies in here, but plenty of dropped hearts, so it's pretty easy so far...

Hope you enjoy it. This was the very first Zelda I ever played (and the first RPG I ever played in this sort of format too!) It is unquestionably my favourite 2D zelda (probably because it introduced me to the series) and very nearly my favourite overall.. Wind Waker just about pips it with it's gorgeously charming visuals.

I did the first NES game back in the summer, it was incredibly hard and I would have given up without save states!

Zelda on the GB is without doubt my fav game in the series though, you are in for a treat I think. As above the Oracle games are excellent, at first I thought it was a bit of a rip off using two carts but they both play a great game.

So a magical raccoon was preventing me from getting anywhere in the mysterious forest.

I found a toadstool and a witch in a hut who turned it into a magic powder, so I went back to the raccoon and the powder turned him into a human. I wonder if the powder affects anything else? I've got a fair amount of it.

With the route now clear, I found a chest with a key in it. I left the forest and took they key south to the beach area.

Judging from the map (press select), the world isn't all that big. Maybe there's more to it, or maybe it's just tightly packed.

I used the key to unlock the first dungeon. I entered...

This was the second Zelda game I played after LTTP on the SNES. I enjoyed it from what I remember. My only memories of it are the egg and that chomp thing that's tied to a chain outside a house. It was good though and I played it on one of those Super Gameboy converters to hook up the GB on your TV. I played only a handful of GB titles but this one was definitely the best.

I still prefer LTTP though so i'm guessing nostaliga plays a large part in the fondness towards these titles. Ocarina of Time was of course amazing and I once started Madjora's Mask at Uni on that GameCube compilation CD, and while it was pretty good I left Uni before being able to finish it. As it wasn't mine, I was unable to complete it.

I once played one of the GB versions of Oracle of Ages or Seasons and didn't get into it. It wasn't Links Awakening even though it looked similar. Might have been the fact that Capcom was on the front and the fact that i'm pretty certain there were no jars, or at least I didn't seem to get any. The rings seemed a little pokemon like for me too with the idea that you can collect up to 100 or so and swap rings between the two titles with other friends if they owned the other versions. I remember getting to a certain boss, something like an octopus or something and it felt too hard for some reason.

Isn't it this one where you can go into the shop..

Run around the shopkeeper with item held aloft 3 times and straight out the door!

With the caveat that you are forever rebranded "THIEF"!

Brilliant touch.

Link, I hope.

Outrageously, no. :o

The first dungeon, 'Tail Cave', was pretty short, but gave a good feel for what to expect. It seems dungeons are single storey and, much like the original Zelda, have the occasional 2D basement. In this case, complete with goomba type things! And I got a feather that lets me jump, so it's almost like playing Mario! Ok, not really.

I struggled with the boss a little, he kept knocking me off the platform. I just battered him in the end, no tactics. Got a cello for my troubles. Turns out there's eight instruments, of which this is one, needed to wake up a wind fish. Sure, why not? At least I understand the game's title now.

On my way back from the dungeon I learn the village has been attacked by mooblins! Oh noes! The chain chomb, Bow-Wow, has been dognapped, so I must venture into the swamp to rescue him. At least, I assume he's in the swamp. I'm going that way anyway, so he'd better be there too.

Found my second heart quarter. Into the swamp I go...

Oh, there was a wall I couldn't blow up in the Tail Cave, and some owl statues with missing beaks, so I assume I have to go back there (with bombs?) later in the game. Interesting...

EDIT: Unless I'm supposed to have bombs already, but I don't think so, it's pretty linear game so far (in how you're funneled through only one possible route).

PS. I like it.

It seems dungeons are single storey...

Not for long!

It's pretty linear game so far (in how you're funneled through only one possible route).

Memory serves, it's possible to do quite a big sequence break by accident in this game - I'm fairly sure I did on first playthrough. They might have fixed that in the DX version, though.

This game (original GB version) kept me sane on the German Exchange when I was 14. I played the DX version a few years ago, but it didn't feel so magical second time around, mostly due to how I've changed, I suspect. Example - the entirely optional Secret Seashell hunt was a delight first time around, and a chore second time around. I am not the time-rich youngster I once was.

The swamp appeared to be inaccessible, however I found the dog, er, chain chomp, in a cave (defeated a mini boss) and now he's following me around, attacking enemies for me!

I'm not sure where to go now, however I've just noticed I have a single bomb in my inventory. Beats me where I got that from, but I'm taking a trip back to the Tail Cave to blow that wall up...

I've played both the original DMG and GBC versions.

Whilst i prefer the GBC one as it has extra content and of course color - does anyone kinda think doing the extra dungeon and getting the choice of a new weapon changes the difficulty of the rest of the game? Suppose its not a big deal, after all they did that with the GBA mario games and that didnt make them any less fun.

Behind the wall was a seashell. Got two of those now. No idea what they do, but "something good will happen". Ok.

Back through the forest, I find a way into the swamp that isn't a dead end. Frankly, I'm getting fed up with all these blocks and obstacles that are "too heavy to lift with my bare hands". Thankfully, the next dungeon, Bottle Grotto, seems like it's going to give me something to lift things with. All those bottles by the entrance...

Whilst i prefer the GBC one as it has extra content and of course color - does anyone kinda think doing the extra dungeon and getting the choice of a new weapon changes the difficulty of the rest of the game?

Yeah, it makes it waaaaay easier.

Poops, I'm stuck in the Bottle Grotto. I defeated the mid-level boss, went through a room with a vacuum portal thing in it and then up again into a room blocked by jars and a locked door. I have no more keys 'cos I used one for a room with a ShyGuy that mimics me and some more jars, but I can't seem to do anything in there. I still can't move the bloody jars. I've been round and around now, and I'm thinking I should have saved the key for this other door, but surely I can't be stuck! Not sure what to do. It's not a big dungeon so I don't know what I'm missing. :unsure:

Worth a read for some development story behind Gameboy Links Awakening.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_zelda_handheld_history_15603_15604.html

That's fantastic. The bit at the end with the original Zelda drawings... wow!

And that the dungeon layouts all had to slot into one another because of the limited memory of the NES, and that the second quest only existed due to a mistake about how much memory was left over. Amazing! (Laughs)

Poops, I'm stuck in the Bottle Grotto. I defeated the mid-level boss, went through a room with a vacuum portal thing in it and then up again into a room blocked by jars and a locked door. I have no more keys 'cos I used one for a room with a ShyGuy that mimics me and some more jars, but I can't seem to do anything in there. I still can't move the bloody jars. I've been round and around now, and I'm thinking I should have saved the key for this other door, but surely I can't be stuck! Not sure what to do. It's not a big dungeon so I don't know what I'm missing. :unsure:

That's fantastic. The bit at the end with the original Zelda drawings... wow!

And that the dungeon layouts all had to slot into one another because of the limited memory of the NES, and that the second quest only existed due to a mistake about how much memory was left over. Amazing! (Laughs)

There was a game breaking glitch if i recall - but i think this was fixed in the newer version of the original GB game (and it wasnt in the GBC version).

But im not sure if its the third dungeon..

I played through Links Awakening DX with a game boy printer I got at a car boot last year, nice feature that to print little stickers off as you progressed through the story.

I remember the new colour dungeon wasn't all that though.

I played through Links Awakening DX with a game boy printer I got at a car boot last year, nice feature that to print little stickers off as you progressed through the story.

I remember the new colour dungeon wasn't all that though.

It's barely a dungeon really. Only a handful of rooms with no real puzzles.