IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX)

Sprite Machine

Memory serves, I think you need to clear one room by throwing specific pots at specific baddies. I know that sounds arbitrary, but it feels right when you do it. You can also kill that Shy Guy, if you know how - that might be all you need to do.

I thought the GBC extras made it a bit too easy too.

yeah there's a room with 3 different baddies (a bat, a rabbit, and something else?) you have to kill them in a certain order and you get a key iirc.

I played the game in two halves as I got completely stuck here.. thought it was a glitch and couldn't face restarting..

Went back to it a LONG time later when I found out about this and finally completed it..

I played the game in two halves as I got completely stuck here.. thought it was a glitch and couldn't face restarting..

Went back to it a LONG time later when I found out about this and finally completed it..

although to be fair, im sure one of the owl statues tells you the solution..

i remember seeing this question asked on gamesmaster , think thats how i knew about it though!

although to be fair, im sure one of the owl statues tells you the solution..

What it says is something like:

First comes Pols Voice, then Keese, and last Stalfos

... which are the games names for those creatures in the room (rabbity thing/bat/skeleton).

If you didn't have the manual (which my little brother had lost within a couple of days of me getting the game) then it really didn't make much sense and they aren't referred to by name anywhere else in-game.

I think it was made more clear in the DX revision, but I was playing the GB original in '93.. I think the owl/hint statues were only added to that version..

That's the second dungeon finished and I've got the horn.

Shut up!

The boss was methodical but quite strong, so I died a few times and had to go all the way through the dungeon to get back to him. This is particularly annoying when you have to keep changing items (bracelet, feather) several times, and skipping through text (the "you can't carry this" text still appears after you've got the bracelet if you aren't actually wearing it - yes, I know I can't!). Even the boss was a talky one, and you can't skip any of the dialogue. It's not quite enough to put me off playing it, but it's annoying.

Predictably, the item in the dungeon was also the key to beating the boss. Now that I've got it, I'm told to head to the prairie, but first I've been chucking rocks around and getting to places I couldn't before, including a very bizarre dreamworld inside one of the huts in the starting village. It proved rather difficult to navigate so I'm leaving it for now.

There's a keyhole blocking me from entering what I assume is the third dungeon, so I'll have a look around and try to get my bearings some more. I'm one piece away from a heart upgrade and I've just found someone who's given me a potion for "when I run out of hearts" - presumably a fairy equivalent? Also, I've still got BowWow with me. Should I be returning him to his owner now or what? He's very useful. :)

More wandering around leads me north up a hill and I discover the egg containing the wind fish. So now the title screen makes sense too, yay! Six more instruments and I'll be able to come back here to wake it up.

For now, I've taken the chain chomp back to his owner, because he was preventing me from talking to certain people. I'll have to be a little more careful now; some of these new enemies are tricksy.

South of the locked prairie dungeon entrance is a prince who's been evicted from his castle and needs me to retrieve his golden leaves for him. He's got the key to the dungeon so I'd better do it for him.

I can't enter the castle because the gate is up, however a monkey outside is asking for food, so I'm now on the hunt for a banana. I've returned to the village where I've been advised to search the beach, although I don't see any bananas here. There's a hidden cave but I'm out of bombs. Hmmm...

Bombs are available in the shop! Ah! Not so rare at all, then.

The cave, however, appears to be empty. Hmph!

Elsewhere on the beach is a crocodile's house. He has bananas but doesn't seem to be giving them away. He wants rare and unusual canned food, perhaps I can find some for him.

In the village, meanwhile, I have got the Yoshi doll from the crane game and given it to the lady with the baby. She's given me a ribbon in return. I'm sure someone else will want that (in exchange for something else, etcetera, etcetera.).

I scraped through the weird dreamscape house to a chest containing 100 rupees. I've got quite a few rupees now and I'm wondering whether it's worth building up 980 to buy the bow and arrow set in the shop. That probably won't help me with my banana quest, but whatever.

One of the baby chomps wanted the ribbon and in exchange gave me a tin of dog food. Just what I needed!

I headed back to the beach and gave the dog food to the crocodile. He gobbled it up and gave me one of his bananas.

Heading back through the prairie and up to the castle, I found the monkey again. I gave him the banana and he called over his monkey friends to build a bridge for me.

I took the bridge into the castle grounds (picked up a stick that one of them dropped - another link in the chain, I guess) and began looking for the golden leaves the prince wanted.

I found one outside and another inside so far, and I've lowered the drawbridge so I can exit and enter again easily.

Trivia Time! The character of Prince Richard is a cameo from another Nintendo game which never saw release outside Japan - it translates roughly as "For the Frog the Bell Tolls".

The throw-things-at-the-enemies-in-order puzzle was definitely in the Mono GB version. The Owl clues may not have been, I can't remember.

There'll reach a point where you have to buy the bow, but there's nothing to stop you buying it earlier (although you possibly have to upgrade your wallet, can't remember). I recall working out the exact timing to get the rupee prize in the gambling game, so I could do it 3/4 times, and earned my bow money that way. Alternatively, you can steal it, but they game won't let you forget it!

Yeah, I've got the timing down on the crane game. I can win 60 rupees for every 20 spent playing. I might do it, then.

Pretty cool that you can steal stuff from the shop!

So, I found the last of the Prince's golden leaves in the castle and returned them to him. Instead of handing over the Slime Key, he sent me on a quest around his garden maze and I had to do some weeding. Eventually I dug up the key I needed (I'd already bought the shovel) and left the way I came.

I headed back up to the entrance to the third dungeon and used the key. The door opened. Slight problem, though: I can't actually reach the door. It's on the other side of an obstruction and it looks like I need to approach it from the right, but I can't see how to get around there just yet...

Oh, that wasn't so hard. Just had to jump across some islands. I imagine I'll have a swimming ability soon.

Looks like I will be needing that bow and arrow, though. There's a chest I can't get to in the third dungeon; I'm blown backwards by a vortex thingy. I think an arrow will sort that out. It might be optional but I'm not leaving 'til I know for sure!

Looks like I will be needing that bow and arrow, though. There's a chest I can't get to in the third dungeon; I'm blown backwards by a vortex thingy.

Well, that was a waste of time, the arrow didn't affect it. At least I have them for future requirements, but it turned out I needed the dash boots to reach the chest, which contained an essential dungeon key.

The dash move also knocks down enemies, shatters crystals and makes for a handy lawn-cutter. It's yet another thing to switch between in my inventory, which is still annoying.

Still, one clever application of the dash boots is using them in conjuction with the feather to do a running jump. I had to use this to get through dungeon 3. The dungeon also featured a few bombable walls, one of which is only apparent when you view the other side of the wall from a path above it. Nice use of the limited Gameboy screen space, I thought.

And then the dungeon boss, again, required the item I found in the dungeon to beat it, dashing between its jelly eyes (which look like boobs) to split them apart. Divide and conquer, the boss goes down. I get the next instrument, a bell.

One thing that is bothersome is the way some enemies (and bosses) jump upwards. They don't actually jump upwards, because you can't go underneath them. They're actually jumping backwards and if you're standing behind them they hit you, even though they're supposed to be above you. Very annoying.

I've been told to head for the desert, and that there's a waterfall somewhere. I head south-east and come across a deserty-looking place, with stone pillars and statues that come alive when you touch them. I make my way through and find a door into a temple. Inside is a heavily-armoured boss. After more failed attempts than I can remember (mostly due to his awful jumping attack) I beat him and he drops a key, the 'Face Key'.

In the next room is a mural depicting an owl and something that looks like a whale. Is this the wind fish? Is the wind fish even a fish? The mural makes some vague reference to this whole island being a dream. I leave, and the helpful owl from earlier confirms that this may well be a dream of the wind fish. I continue on my way, leaving this area as I can see no other goodies here.

I meet a man trying to get honey from a bees' nest. I give him the stick I picked up earlier. He gets attacked by bees and runs off. I pick up the honeycomb - result! Now, who wants a honeycomb?

I wander north and find a waterfall with a keyhole outside of it. Unfortunately, my Face Key doesn't seem to work, I need an Angler's Key. Rats. That was a red herring. Perhaps I should head back to the desert? Or wander around some more?

I love the Dash Boots. I think every Zelda needs one move you can abuse to get around the map more quickly (roll, roll, roll) and in LA it's the boots. Also good - the boinging sound you make when you collide with something solid.

Try dashing at suspiciously solitary trees - you may find it rewarding!

I don't know quite how I found those ruins but I can't seem to find them again now. Where I was supposed to go is just south of there to the Animal Village. There I learn I can pass through to the actual desert, but there's a sleeping walrus blocking the way. No problem, apparently Marin from the other village can wake him up with her singing.

I head back to the first village and she's not in her usual spot, but she's gone to look at the ocean. I find her on the beach and she talks about what lies beyind the sea. She agrees to go to the Animal Village so she follows me there. It's not far if you running-jump over the three holes on the south route.

Once there, Marin sings to the walrus who wakes up with a start and falls into the water. I leave Marin at the village and head into the desert...

It's not much of a desert, barely four squares across! It's populated by those wriggly cactus things from the Mario games.

The main thing here is a sand worm boss who holds a key when you beat him. Not particularly difficult. I take the Angler Key (hurrah!) and leave the desert.

I head north from the Animal Village and manage to find the top of the waterfall, but for the life of me I can't seem to find my way to the bottom where the keyhole was before. According to the map, that whole area is still uncharted. I was there just a while ago, so that's pretty maddening. Hrmph!

I was kinda looking in the wrong place. The bottom of the waterfall is next to the top of another waterfall and I got them mixed up. I was right next to it without realising! See, this is what happens when you don't draw a little map of where stuff is.

I used the Anglers Key and the water parted, revealing the fourth dungeon. That's all well and good but once again I can't actually reach the entrance. It looks like I'm going to need a raft. I have no idea where to get one from.

I return to the starting village (everyone wonders where Marin's gone) and walk past the Chain Chomp. Suddenly the photographer from the camera shop is taking my picture. Very strange, but okay. You can print these pictures, or at least you could print them on the original hardware with a Gameboy Printer connected. I never really saw the point in that thing.

The woman with the baby tells me her husband is missing in the woods. I go into the woods and look around but don't see anyone lost in there. Is she perhaps referring to the man who got chased by the bees earlier?

I search the beach again for anything raft-like that might be washed up there. Nowt. I check the shop for any new items. Nowt.

I return to the Animal Village. Marin is singing and the animals are all transfixed by it. No-one in any of the houses is particularly helpful, but I did get a pineapple from one of them in exchange for my honeycomb. Not that it helps me on my quest for a raft but I'm sure the item-swapping thing is leading somewhere good eventually.

Raft, raft, raft. Rafty-rafty-raft. No idea. Telephone bloke isn't much use now, either. Yes, I know there's a secret behind the waterfall, I can see it! Hmm... there's a stairway leading into the ground just outside of it, too. I wonder... could I get to it via an underground passage, and then perhaps the raft is inside the dungeon? Ooh, there's an idea. Gotta keep searching...

Ack, I'm officially stuck. There's only one stairway near the dungeon and that appears to be an exit only (a rock behind a hole blocking the way), so it's not a way in.

I returned to the starting village, to the library (well, room of books) and consulted the atlas. Aha! There is a "raft shop" in the north east. So it would seem I do need the raft next.

I return to that area again but find I can't access the part of the map where the raft shop is supposed to be. Water blocks the way. I try a running jump over the gap but I hit an invisible wall. Falling into the water just resets me back on the land. There's no apparent way around it - there are two squares of the map that I simply can't get to, at least not from here.

I walk around the whole area but I can't find a way to access it. According to the map, that whole place is part of a rapids ride.

Climbing in the the mountains, you say? I've been up there and only found a cave but I can't get through the cave because there are rocks and crystals and holes blocking the route, with no apparent way to get through them from this side. It's worth another look, though...

I wanted more hand-held Zelda after finishing both versions of Ocarina on the 3DS earlier this year, so immediatly bought this from the Virtual Console. It was my first Zelda game, about a decade or more ago, and I LOVED it. It was just as great the second time, off the back of Ocarina. It probably is a perfect game.

Climbing in the the mountains, you say? I've been up there and only found a cave but I can't get through the cave because there are rocks and crystals and holes blocking the route, with no apparent way to get through them from this side. It's worth another look, though...

No dice. Impossible to get through there and I don't see any other way through the mountains.

I still don't know what the funny looking purple rocks with holes on the top are supposed to be or what they do. It looks like I should be able to attach something to them, like a grapple, but I don't have anything like that (not yet, anyway).

So, my raft quest is going nowhere. I've been back to the library and knocked the top book of the shelf. Hello, a secret at the cemetary? I head over there and push the tombstones in the specified way. A hole appears under the last tombstone.

I descend into the hole and discover a secret dungeon, designed in colour. Two guards ask me what colour they are before I can pass. Was this to stop people playing in monochrome from getting through? Could you even use this cartridge on a monochrome Gameboy? I thought they were locked.

Anyway, I make my way through the dungeon, triggering coloured switches and killing coloured enemies. I'm now at the dungeon boss, a crabby looking thing with an orb on its back. I need to make it turn red, but I keep getting pushed away. It's quite tricky.

I'm now at the dungeon boss, a crabby looking thing with an orb on its back. I need to make it turn red, but I keep getting pushed away. It's quite tricky.

You might find it easier if you weren't typing this with one hand while you played ;-)

I think the colour thing is just them saying "Look! We've got colour!" rather than a mono-GB lockout.