IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX)

Sprite Machine

I beat it with bombs in the end. Luckily I'd just recently bought 30 of them from the shop. They're pretty powerful!

In the next room, I'm asked whether I want a defensive or offensive power. Figuring the best defense is a good offense (or however that saying goes) I opted for the latter and I'm now rockin' a red tunic and my sword does twice as much damage. I deem this to be: cool.

So although I still don't know where to get a raft, I can twat most enemies out of the way in a single swipe. Hoo-rah!

The mountains again, really? Do you mean TalTal heights or the actual mountain where the egg is? I feel like I've gone everywhere I can. (Obviously I haven't, or I wouldn't be stuck!)

Well that was embarrassing. I could have sworn I tried cutting the crystal formations before. I think I only found any after getting the dash so perhaps I just assumed you had to dash into them to break them down, like you do with those bigger crystals. Hence spending several sessions trying to get through the cave by dashing across the bits of ground that weren't cracked, failing repeatedly, and assuming it was impossible. Bloody hell!

Anyway, with that out of the way, I continue through the caves and out onto the other side of the mountain. I find someone hungry so I give him by pineapple and he gives me a flower in return. I think I know where to take that, but for now I continue on.

I drop down off the mountain ledge and land in the shallow water outside the fourth dungeon. I enter...

I hadn't considered it, no. The last written playthrough I did on here was for FFVII, but that must have been about four years ago. It's not something I do often. Maybe something to think about in future.

---

Dungeon 4, Anglers Tunnel, turns out to be pretty straight forward. A few jumps over holes and deep water and I eventually pick up the flippers! YES! So, not a raft but just as good. I can now cross deep water.

I explore the rest of the dungeon, solve some simple puzzles and face off against the boss. This is an underwater boss, a big fishy thing! It's slow and awkward to fight it underwater but I manage to beat it with half a heart left, something that wouldn't have happened had I not upgraded my attack strength. I pick up the heartpiece and grab the fourth instrument, a harp.

Leaving the dungeon, I now have a load of places I can reach that I couldn't before. One of the caves along the cliff wall has a friendly fish inside asking if I have an Ocarina. I do not, but I know where to get it. I swim back onto dry land.

On my way, I encounter a sad looking ghost. He won't stop following me. He wants to go to his house by the bay, so I trek across the island until we reach it. He goes inside, mutters something about nostalgia and then asks to be returned to his grave.

I take the ghost to the lone tombstone near the cemetary. He thanks me and disappears (the photographer takes my photo again, inexplicably!) and tells me to go back to his house for a reward. I go back and find a seashell. I've got quite a lot of these now.

Back to the first village, I enter the dream shrine. With my dash attack, I can now break the cystral that was blocking part of it. There's a chest. Inside is the Ocarina! Unfortunately I don't know any songs for it yet, so it sounds awful.

I return to the cave where the friendly fish was. He teaches me a song. I leave the cave and play the song. I'm instantly transported to a little pond on the other side of the island. Useful!

I go to the Animal Village and speak to Marin. She teaches me another song, but I don't know what it does.

Now, I need to get to the fifth dungeon, Catfish something-or-other. I can see it, but it's surrounded by rocks and reefs. I'll need to do some more exploring now that there's loads more places I can reach.

I walk back to the Animal Village and give the Hibiscus flower to the hippo lady. She thanks me and gives me a letter - but it's not for me; I have to deliver it to Mr. Write who lives on the edge of the Mysterious Forest. Sure, why not?

I trek across the island and arrive at his house. I give him the letter. There's a photo inside of Princess Peach! He seems to think that's what the hippo lady looks like. Oh dear. He gives me a broom for my troubles.

I take to the broom to the sweeping lady in Mabe Village. She takes it and gives me a fish hook. I take the fish hook up to the fishing area. The fisherman doesn't seem interested. I catch a big fish anyway. I leave, still with a fishing hook that I don't know what to do with (yet).

I trek across the island again, swim through a river and manage to get to the raft shop I was looking for earlier. I pay 100 rupees to ride the rapids, which takes me around and down, passing a few goodies to collect on the way. I miss a lot of them, so it's hardly worth my entry fee.

At the bottom, I have to leave the raft where it is. It seems I can't take it with me, but since I've got the flippers now I guess I don't need it.

I take the raft ride a few more times (an expensive hobby!) and try to get to all areas of it. With the water currents pushing you around, it's pretty tricky and takes a few goes before I work out any optimum routes. I manage to get to a couple of treasure chests but they only have rupees inside. There's an underground tunnel entrance (or exit) on one of the little islands but I can't see how to get to it. I leave the rapids for now.

I swim around the waters in the south for a bit. I dive under the water near a bridge and I find a fisherman on a boat. I give him the fish hook. In return, he fishes me out a necklace. I know where to take that!

I swim over to where I saw a mermaid earlier. The necklace is hers and she gives me one of her scales in return. She says an artist wanted it.

I go back to Animal Village and find the artist by his canvas. He's busy drawing, so he suggests I take the scale to his mermaid statue and finish it for him. I've seen his statue but I can't find a way to reach it. It looks like I need to grapple over some water to the other side, but I don't have anything that can do that, so I give up for now and leave.

The Catfish Maw is definitely where I need to get to, but it's surrounded by rocks. This will require some thought...

Less thought than I, er, thought...

I dived under the water near one of the rocks and found it went down into a cave (switching to a side-on perspective) that I could swim through to the other side.

Upon entering the fourth dungeon, I soon realise what equipment it holds in store for me. There are large gaps and hooks and chests just out of reach of any jump - I predict a hookshot is imminent. :)

I quickly find the compass and clear a few rooms. Some routes aren't accessible just yet; it looks like I'll need to wait until I get the hookshot. I take some damage trying to jump across a series of booby-trapped gaps that I shouldn't have, and lose all my hearts.

I fast-travel back to Crazy Tracy's house to get another dose of balm (this game's equivalent of a fairy in a bottle), then head back to the dungeon again.

Mid-way through the dungeon, I run into a large armoured skeleton boss. I have to use a charged attack to knock him apart, then lay a bomb on him. After a few hits, he escapes.

I follow him around the dungeon, fighting him a few more times. Eventually I grab the map so I can see what rooms are left unexplored. There's only one I haven't been in aside from the boss room, but I still don't have the hookshot and there's still loads of unopened chests, so I'm going back to see if I can reach any of them.

I got the hookshot! :D

About time, too. I was running out of places to look. I even somehow managed to glitch jump over a hole I shouldn't have, but it only led to a key (which I promptly wasted). I had to go back to a previously empty room and that skeleton boss showed up one last time.

He dropped the hookshot, so now I can grab and pull my way all over the dungeon. It pulls the masks off armoured enemies too, and seems to kill most other enemies outright. Very handy!

I clear the rest of the dungeon and beat the (fairly easy) boss, using the hookshot to pull it towards me and avoiding its spinning... thing. I get another heartpiece and the next instrument, something that looks like a xylophone.

I miscounted earlier, that was actually dungeon 5, which means only three remain. I've checked on the map and the sixth one is just north of where I got the Face Key from earlier. I head over there and the owl tells me to go south first (presumably to get the key) but since I've already got it, I go north instead and can access the dungeon immediately.

Inside, I discover wizard enemies similar to the ones from Zelda 1. Fortunately, they aren't as damaging, but they do still teleport around the room annoyingly, and they're only killed by arrows, which I am now running low on.

I've had a little scout around, found the map and owl's beak. I think I'll need to restock on arrows and then return. There are some cunning puzzles in here, with switches and bombs. Good stuff.

PS. I may not have much time to play this over Christmas, so updates will be slow from now on.

I clear the rest of the dungeon and beat the (fairly easy) boss, using the hookshot to pull it towards me and avoiding its spinning... thing. I get another heartpiece and the next instrument, something that looks like a xylophone.

I miscounted earlier, that was actually dungeon 5, which means only three remain. I've checked on the map and the sixth one is just north of where I got the Face Key from earlier. I head over there and the owl tells me to go south first (presumably to get the key) but since I've already got it, I go north instead and can access the dungeon immediately.

Inside, I discover wizard enemies similar to the ones from Zelda 1. Fortunately, they aren't as damaging, but they do still teleport around the room annoyingly, and they're only killed by arrows, which I am now running low on.

I've had a little scout around, found the map and owl's beak. I think I'll need to restock on arrows and then return. There are some cunning puzzles in here, with switches and bombs. Good stuff.

PS. I may not have much time to play this over Christmas, so updates will be slow from now on.

I'm playing this dungeon right now too SM. I appear to be missing a key and it pissing me off no end. I have the dungeon item and used it to get to the '2nd' half of the dungeon that was inaccessible before but I think I might have missed something (a key) earlier. I think i've been in every room 3 or 4 times :(

Oh and a little tip for those wizards

hookshot them into one area and then a single bomb will do it

I see what you mean. There's a locked door on the right-hand route, but the level-2 bracelet doesn't seem to allow access to anywhere useful.

Let me know if you work it out!

In the meantime, I've been back outside and used the hookshot to get across to the island where the mermaid statue is. I finished it off with the scale, and it opened up a tunnel that led to a magnifying lens. It's like the Lens of Truth from OoT, but I don't know what it will reveal. There were some invisible enemies in the cave. Maybe it's useful later on. I doubt it's an essential item, but we'll see.

I also headed north up into the mountains again, hookshotted my way across and found another cave with a little sleeping demon in a well. He upgraded my magic powder bag so I can carry twice as much. I also saw a key for what I assume is the seventh or eighth dungeon but I can't reach it yet.

Having visited the shop once more to fill up on arrows and bombs, I'm now back in dungeon six again, trying to figure out where to go.

Well I did it last night, finally. The bracelet is used to throw the big statues through doors. There is an earlier room in the first half with a locked door but no statues, however there are plenty of vases...

This just seemed a little leap of logic too much for me :)

Yep, solved this one last night too. :)

I'd forgotten you can throw vases at some doors. You have to do it back in the second dungeon, but never again since. The game assumes you remember, hence the big statues making sense when you can lift them.

So, after that, there's not much more to the dungeon. The boss is a little weird in that you defeat it with bombs not the bracelet. Once it's done throwing tiles at you, it doesn't really do anything else.

It dies and tells me everything will vanish if the Wind Fish is awakened. Oh noes! I get the heartpiece and the next instrument, a triangle.

The owl tells me to go into the mountains, so I head north once again.

Going in and out of caves, I finally make my way to the top. I've found the seventh dungeon, but alas I haven't found the key to open it yet. I saw it earlier. Hmm, where was that?

Well, that was a waste of time, the arrow didn't affect it. At least I have them for future requirements, but it turned out I needed the dash boots to reach the chest, which contained an essential dungeon key.

I did exactly the same thing!

This is a great read Sprite.

Since the next Zelda will be at least 5 years away, I'm toying with the idea of playing them all from the start between now and then.

We'll have a new 3DS Zelda in under 2 years and I'd be surprised if a Wii U Zelda didn't come out within a couple of years of the console.

Found a use for that lens yet? I find they're very handy for inspecting the small print...

Of course! I do have a habit of reading things and then forgetting all about them later.

Mind you, I don't know what the small print is referring to just yet.

---

Sporadic update time! Where was I?

Oh yes, I was looking for the key to get into the eagle tower. I'd seen it in a cave up in the mountains, but couldn't reach it. There was a long chasm over which I could not jump. But perhaps I could hover...

I enlisted the help of the telephone man, who guided me towards the signpost maze. I'd forgotten about that. Now that I had the hookshot, I could reach every signpost. I cleared the maze easily and entered the hidden cave. Inside, a large frog taught me another song for the ocarina - a song that could bring things to life!

I went back to Mabe village and went to the statue that Marin used to stand near. I pushed the statue and it revealed a hidden passage underneath it. I went down inside and there was a... sort of chicken bird thing, but not alive. I used the frog song near it and it sprung to life!

Now, the bird would follow me everywhere. Grabbing it with the bracelet let it carry me, hovering just above the ground. So I headed back up the mountain, revisited the cave with the chasm, and hovered over it, round the corner and into the next room.

There, I found the key. I took it and hovered back, exited the cave and made my way up the mountain. I found the eagle tower, unlocked it, and entered dungeon number seven...

The first thing I notice upon entering the Eagle Tower is how big it is. The map is split into four, each section representing a different floor.

I quite quickly discover the map, and soon after that the compass, but this is a very difficult dungeon to navigate. Not only are there raised/lowered bollards blocking routes (with switches in completely different rooms all over the place) but if you fall into some holes you go down to the level below instead of staying there.

I've defeated two mid-level bosses, one who sent waves of bats at me, and another big monster I defeated by throwing what looks like a crystal ball at it. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that, but since I happened to be carrying it with me anyway, it seemed appropriate. If the ball has a second use, I haven't found it yet.

I have found a shield upgrade, which supposedly can deflect certain beams. The only use for that I've found so far is in blocking the spinning laser-emitting enemies. There's probably a further use for this shield later on. I've found the boss key, but I'm a little way from needing to use it yet. I've just cleared a room full of spinning floor tiles, after falling through them and having to trudge through the dungeon about four times. A little bit tedious, but I'm making progress.

If the ball has a second use, I haven't found it yet.

Well, goodness, it does! It knocks down those pillars!

And, what's this?! The entire fourth floor has fallen down to the third floor level! I did *NOT* see that coming. :o

I've got all the chests in this dungeon now. Just got to make my way to the boss room...

It took me about a week to realise you could pick that ball up. I thought it was some sort of wrap hole or something like that. The owl in that room mentioned about dropping down into a room for the chest so I thought I had to drop down onto the hole (ball) from above.

This would never happen if LA was HD :)

So the boss of the Eagle Tower was eagle on top of the tower. I see what they did there!

It was a simple enough fight, involving hitting him as he flew past, and using my shield to block his feathery attacks. Depsite my upgraded sword, he still took quite a beating before giving up the ghost. Once defeated, the boss mentioned again how everything would disappear when the wind fish awakens. Heard it before, fella!

I pick up the heartpiece and the next instrument, a 1980s Casio Electric Keyboard. I mean, the Organ of Evening Calm. :eyebrows:

I head west, back up the other side of the TalTal mountain, and who should I see on the way but Marin. She's stuck on a rickety old bridge and can't get down. I find the route that leads up there and hookshot over to her. She thanks me and leaves. The wise old owl flies down to talk to me, mentioning that Marin knows the song of awakening. Is that what I'll eventually need to play in front of the egg?

Heading further west and through some more caves, I come across a flaming vent that I couldn't get through before, but now with my level-2 shield, I can block its heat and push through it. I enter the final part of unexplored map, and come across a turtle statue.

I play the song that I learned from the frog that brings things to life and the turtle statue cracks open to reveal a live turtle head underneath. It attacks me so I hit it with my sword and it disappears, leaving an open cave that I can enter.

Now I'm inside the final dungeon... Turtle Rock. :ph34r:

Turtle Rock is a big dungeon. Only one floor this time but shaped a bit like a turtle. I've found the map and the compass and am slowly making my way through it.

There's a lot of deadly purple water in here (you can't swim through it), as well as these little pushable buggies that build new ground underneath them. In some rooms, I have drive them around in such a way to cover every gap. I got a couple of keys doing this.

I thought perhaps this dungeon's new equipment would be something to cross the deadly purple water, but I'm now thinking it might be a fire spell of some kind, because I've come up against some unbreakable / unmoveable blocks of ice.

There are also bosses from previous dungeons just scattered around. They even respawn, which can be annoying because there's a lot of back tracking needed if you accidentally take the wrong path. Still, they're not hard to beat anymore.

One of the doors from the dungeon leads up and outside, back onto the mountain. There, I activated a warp hole, so I can easily return if I need to have another wander around the map.

Not much further to go now...

There is a puzzle here thats a little unfair i think. There is a bombable wall not indicated by a crack or rubble in the usual way, but by a much more subtle indicator.

I think in your version there might be an owl hint but in the original it was a bit of a dead end for me for a long time. I nearly gave up on it.