rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

The Last Of Us

It's very idiosyncratic.  You have to learn how to play The Last of Us how The Last of Us wants you to play it.  Just have patience, young one - or choose not to, and miss out on one of the best games ever.  I'm one of the most easily infuriated people you'll ever meet and if I can manage it...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

What am I doing wrong?

I haven’t had much chance to play it, but I’m up to the bit where we leave Tess and have to escape out of the building and it’s just so infuriating. It feels like total trial and error gameplay and as soon as you’re spotted that’s that. My guns seem massively ineffective, so that combined with practically zero ammo seems like a no go. Sneaking around trying to take the guards out in the dark is a nightmare, as choking them out takes so long another one always spots me and starts shooting.

I’m just really not enjoying it at all at the moment, but I’m convinced I must be doing something wrong with all the praise it gets and I don’t want to miss out if it drastically improves round the next corner.

Help me RLLMUK!

Lower the difficulty level and just go wild for the story? 

55 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

It's very idiosyncratic.  You have to learn how to play The Last of Us how The Last of Us wants you to play it.  Just have patience, young one - or choose not to, and miss out on one of the best games ever.  I'm one of the most easily infuriated people you'll ever meet and if I can manage it...

I’ll keep at it. Hopefully I’ll get it at some point.

@JoeK I’m already on normal! It just feels as soon as the enemies see me, it’s game over.

@teddymeow Ah yeah, that’s more like it. I knew I’d forgotten something. That should be a big help.

• Upvote 1

@JPL that was very much my experience back at the time of the original release, but it is a matter of trying to use the systems at hand effectively. Listen mode, misdirection  with bottles, just sometimes going scrappy and kicking the shit out of someone. It does click. 

I know the bit you’re on, and you’ll hit a couple more areas like that. But it’s a bit like Bloodborne - there to test you a bit to prepare you for battles ahead. 

Part two has me feeling the same. They’ve changed enough I suddenly feel uncomfortable with the systems again. It’s bloody annoying. 

Actually you’re further on than the bit I remember so you’re definitely ok. Don’t be afraid to run away sometimes. 

I wish I could run away, but I’ve just been strung up in a trap and now I’m upside down trying to shoot a clicker after taking out a load of runners, while Ellie is cutting the rope. Fail on the clicker because I’m not really sure what to do and I have to do it all again.

It’s just no fun having to keep doing bits to figure out what to do.

I know that sounds weird because most games are trial and error, but this feels so unfair as there’s no way out of it if you mess up. It’s back to the beginning to try another, probably unsuccessful, attempt.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Fail on the clicker because I’m not really sure what to do and I have to do it all again.

Without wanting to sound like a dick, I don't really understand how you don't understand what to do on this bit. You just need to shoot the clicker so Ellie can cut you down.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to sound like a dick, I don't really understand how you don't understand what to do on this bit. You just need to shoot the clicker so Ellie can cut you down.

I’ve tried, but it just runs at me as though the bullets do nothing.

Maybe I’m just losing patience, as it seems like one trial and error section after another. I’ve turned it off for now to watch the footy anyway, so no doubt I’ll do it first time when I get back to it!

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Maybe I’m just losing patience, as it seems like one trial and error section after another. I’ve turned it off for now to watch the footy anyway, so no doubt I’ll do it first time when I get back to it!

Shoot the bad thing in the face 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, JPL said:

IIRC, for that section you suddenly get unlimited ammo, so you can whale away with impunity. All you have to worry about is reloading.

If you're finding things too frustrating then there's no shame in dropping it to easy. It'd be a shame to miss out on one of the best games ever made!

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

IIRC, for that section you suddenly get unlimited ammo, so you can whale away with impunity. All you have to worry about is reloading.

If you're finding things too frustrating then there's no shame in dropping it to easy. It'd be a shame to miss out on one of the best games ever made!

It's also a timing situation - as long as you kill the clickers swiftly, the rest of the things are easy enough to push away. 

You also get a little more time to act whilst one of the buggers is trying to gnaw at Ellie. Which is kind of perverse, but there we go.

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It weird because I’m playing Bloodborne at the moment as well and I really don’t mind how many times I die in that. It’s giving me enough feedback to know what I’m doing wrong, whereas this just feels so vague in comparison.

Wouldn't putting it down to easy ruin things, or is it only really worth playing for the story?

For the record, I fucking hate that bit where you're stung up. If you haven't put any crafting/pills/whatever into steadying your aim it's a fucking nightmare. That bit really did my fucking head in when I first got the game. 

@JPL It all gets better after that. But seriously, upgrade your aim steadiness first and foremost. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JPL said:

It weird because I’m playing Bloodborne at the moment as well and I really don’t mind how many times I die in that. It’s giving me enough feedback to know what I’m doing wrong, whereas this just feels so vague in comparison.

Wouldn't putting it down to easy ruin things, or is it only really worth playing for the story?

Play at what ever level you feel happy with . You will get more accomplished , and as you level up you will get more tools at your disposal . Key is as @Thor said upgrade your aim steadiness . And secondly , loot every single drawer in every single room you can .

you won’t be the first person to bounce off the first few hours and then slowly be converted to realising you are playing a masterpiece . 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the aim steadiness seems like what I’m missing. I haven’t upgraded anything yet to be honest, due to materials seeming pretty scarce.

It’s such a poor opening to a game that has so many plaudits though. I must be a couple of hours in now and it’s been a total slog so far. If it wasn’t for all the praise, I’d move on to something else.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

I haven’t upgraded anything yet to be honest, due to materials seeming pretty scarce.

What difficulty are you playing on? Materials shouldn't be that scarce on the default difficulty. You should definitely have upgraded at least something by now. Are you scouring every location you come across for supplies? Because if you're not then you definitely should be. Again, without wanting to sound dickish, that's the way you're supposed play the game. If you're just blasting/running through areas then you're going to find it pretty hard going. Have you opened any shiv doors yet?

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What difficulty are you playing on? Materials shouldn't be that scarce on the default difficulty. You should definitely have upgraded at least something by now. Are you scouring every location you come across for supplies? Because if you're not then you definitely should be. Again, without wanting to sound dickish, that's the way you're supposed play the game. If you're just blasting/running through areas then you're going to find it pretty hard going. Have you opened any shiv doors yet?

Just normal. I think I’ve only opened one shiv door as well! :lol:

Tomorrow I’ll start scouting everywhere for materials and make sure to upgrade some stuff.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I’ll get there.

• Upvote 2

Well, I got past the section I was talking about last night after a few more attempts, now I’m with Bill and Ellie working my way through the school after the truck battery was missing and... I’m just not enjoying it.

As soon as it all goes tits up, it’s pretty much guaranteed death and it’s really disheartening to have to do the section again.

I think the problem I’m finding is that it’s so hard to read ahead in any situation. I’ve been using my listening mode, but it only covers a small area. My weapons still feel useless even though I’ve done a few upgrades. Everything feels really clumsy to control. I dunno. I’m just not sure it’s my kind of game.

I’ll put it down to easy and if I’m still not feeling it, at least I gave it a go.

Conversely, I am just past where you are and REALLY enjoying it.

The turnaround time on sections is pretty short. Load times aren't long, checkpoints are close together. I think anywhere that there's clickers means being seen is just time to restart again.

• Upvote 1

Finished again last night, and just finished off Left Behind.  Knowing what's coming up dulls it slightly, but it's still magic.  Onwards to the sequel!

8 hours ago, JPL said:

As soon as it all goes tits up, it’s pretty much guaranteed death and it’s really disheartening to have to do the section again.

Just run.  Enemies quickly lose track of you and you can reset quite easily, give yourself some breathing room. It is meant to be desperate and uncomfortable, don't forget. A few of the fights still took me a couple of goes on this playthrough, it can be quite a difficult game and plenty of naughty words fell from my mouth.  At one point, in the final battle of the DLC it gave me a respawn with a zombie behind me.  Literally two fucking feet behind me.  Swearing was achieved.

• Upvote 2

@JPL - as Nathan says, as soon as you are spotted you want to quickly deal with the enemy who noticed you and then MOVE. If you're against human enemies then a lot of the time you can go and hide somewhere and they'll lose track of you, meaning you can get the jump on them once again. If infected find you then it's often a bit different as they tend to rush you, but you can still run to give yourself some space before turning and shooting. Clickers should always be a priority.

Make use of melee weapons a lot, too, if things go south - a melee weapon that has blades wrapped around it will give you a guaranteed kill against all bar one of the enemies in the game and can be used multiple times.

Essentially, you want to stay in stealth as much as possible, but when the shit hits the fan, don't be afraid to get messy and start fucking shit up, yo.

• Upvote 1

Also, pro tip for dealing with clickers: if you crouch walk while aiming a brick or bottle, but not throwing it, you'll always move slowly enough for them not to detect you, so you don't have to worry about how much you're tilting the left stick. This works even on the hardest difficulty. The only way they'll detect you like this is if you're a few metres in front of them when they do their echolocation scream. It's useful for sneaking around them.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement fellas, but I’m just not into the gameplay loop at all. Even after dropping it down to easy.

It seems to basically be, enter a new area with plenty of waist high cover, scan around to find the enemies, then either creep, blast or run through to the next cutscene, rinse and repeat.

There’s obviously a few quieter sections where you have to rummage around in every building for materials, but I’m not liking that, or the crafting of those materials, either.

I just don’t think it’s for me. Ah well, I tried. Back to Bloodborne it is.

It only cost me £9 as well, so it’s no big deal.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement fellas, but I’m just not into the gameplay loop at all. Even after dropping it down to easy.

It seems to basically be, enter a new area with plenty of waist high cover, scan around to find the enemies, then either creep, blast or run through to the next cutscene, rinse and repeat.

There’s obviously a few quieter sections where you have to rummage around in every building for materials, but I’m not liking that, or the crafting of those materials, either.

I just don’t think it’s for me. Ah well, I tried. Back to Bloodborne it is.

It only cost me £9 as well, so it’s no big deal.

If it’s any consolation I bought Horizon on launch and genuinely hated the bloody thing. It was only earlier this year I decided to give it another go, and absolutely loved the thing!

Sometimes it does take longer to click with a game.

Never Bloodborne though. I’ve always been ashamed to say that my lack of skills will forever prevent me from delving deeper into that damn city...Suffice to say I watched a marathon run through of the game and enjoyed it thoroughly though!

• Upvote 1

I don’t like naughty dog games, they have such poor basic control of the character and I’ve bounced off this game twice but a few days ago I started my third attempt at it since the ps3 days...

I still think the character movement is poor, the combat passable at best but my word this game has such incredible atmosphere and as someone who doesn’t care about story in games as a rule I have been fairly engaged in it - I’m enjoying it to a degree but it’s full of frustrations that I just don’t get how people look past them... I mean having to search ever inch of every identikit property / bit of woodland /urban area etc is bad enough but with the cumbersome movement of the character it’s just painful at times (I feel the same about unchartered 4 but have long since given up on that) esp when there is so much solid scenery that you could easily fit thru but the game doesn’t want you too! 

Frustrations aside there is something about this game after all, I had to change pads as ran the battery out - says it all really! I haven’t finished it, it’s 4am and I’m in the winter bit having just got free.... it feels like I’m coming to the end of the game and it’s defi changed my opinion of it! Ohhh, the music - amazing, possibly up there with my all timers and easily the most atmospheric game I’ve played.

If the basic character movement and controls were not so bad I could see why this is so loved, that still baffles me but I am loving the game...

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Yeah, I just don't see what's bad about the controls. The sequel plays better though.

I think I’m near the end on this, it has been quite an experience.

Last time I tried to play this was on PS3 and I put the difficulty too hard for my headspace at the time. I’ve been playing on normal this time and realising as I traverse areas how a little less resources and a little more consequences could elevate a good game into something else entirely. Sort of like when you jack the difficulty on the first Halo game. 

I don’t regret playing it this way though, I’m super upgraded and badass and it’s fun to stealth and arrow the fuck out of everything! And I want to do the DLC and start the sequel ASAP!

13 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, I just don't see what's bad about the controls. The sequel plays better though.

From my perspective I agree, I find the Naughty Dog games from the original Uncharted to TLOU2 to be at the very top tier of Third Person Shooters in every category. I love them and find myself re-playing them quite often.  

• Upvote 2