rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

The Last Of Us

16 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

From my perspective I agree, I find the Naughty Dog games from the original Uncharted to TLOU2 to be at the very top tier of Third Person Shooters in every category. I love them and find myself re-playing them quite often.  

Yeah, for all some people are moaning about its length, I'm replaying Part 2 on Survivor and I'm absolutely loving it. The gameplay is just that good.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, for all some people are moaning about its length, I'm replaying Part 2 on Survivor and I'm absolutely loving it. The gameplay is just that good.

Aye yeah, I'm on Hard+ atm and the game is wildly different from my original play through on moderate. Supplies are so low that I have to really stratigise how to deal with every situation. 

I also love that there's custom difficulty settings, as I'd love to play it again! with everything on high except supplies so I can really fuck with the sandbox. 

...and maybe even a straight Survivor run. It all plays so differently. Top tier stuff. 

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

If you think this game controls bad I'd hate to see you tackle a rockstar game...

Don’t start me.... I gave up on RDR2 due to the controls but I love GTA games in general esp 5!

Playing the first one. I assume there’s no way to avoid killing the deer? I fucking hate being forced to kill animals in games.

Bugger.

Thanks for saving me a lot of spoiler filled googling.

No worries, I'm on my first play through as well and was a bit ahead of you there.

I finished it last night and am sorry I didn't play through the game sooner. By the end, I was really invested in the characters and the game itself is a load of fun. The last few encounters in particular are great!

I started Left Behind before work, so I should be nicely primed for Part 2 at the weekend.

FUCK YOU NAUGHTY DOG!! Just started another run of this.

I don't ever think that I'll start a playthrough of this and not be a blubbering, snotty mess by the end of the prologue.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

4 hours ago, teddymeow said:

FUCK YOU NAUGHTY DOG!! Just started another run of this.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't ever think that I'll start a playthrough of this and not be a blubbering, snotty mess by the end of the prologue.

Think I'll be doing the same! I last played this through when it released on PS3 in what 2013. Wow 7 years ago! Not sure how it has been improved on the remastered version but well it will be great to play through it again!

Working through 2 at the moment though. Damn clickers sure they are more aggressive in the latest one.....

Finished this now and I'm just not seeing what you guys are.  The plot is still basically "Man tries to save 3 women, fails twice".  Looks like for Left Behind and the sequel that's much less the case at least.

No biggie, plenty more games to play, I should really learn to not expect "This game has a great plot" to mean more than "It's marginally more thought through than Super Mario 64".

• Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Finished this now and I'm just not seeing what you guys are.  The plot is still basically "Man tries to save 3 women, fails twice".  Looks like for Left Behind and the sequel that's much less the case at least.

No biggie, plenty more games to play, I should really learn to not expect "This game has a great plot" to mean more than "It's marginally more thought through than Super Mario 64".

Think in terms of pure plot etc it's a rudementary story. But however I think that is kind of missing the point. The audio visuals in this are stunning the world feels gritty and believable. You have an emotional connection with the characters. The location work is fantastic and the environments make you want to explore them. It's more of how the game feels over anything else.

Anyhow that's my take on it. Mario is the other end of the spectrum and leans to challenging cartoon fun gaming - in much the same way a cartoon is to a film experience.

• Upvote 1

You're touching on some of my other problems with the game there, it spends quite a bit trying to stop you exploring, especially in the early game but I don't want to shit up a thread on a 6 year old game with "Actually I think differently to just about everyone" :)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You're touching on some of my other problems with the game there, it spends quite a bit trying to stop you exploring, especially in the early game but I don't want to shit up a thread on a 6 year old game with "Actually I think differently to just about everyone" :)

Fair enough. It is a fairly linear experience in the same way the Uncharted games are so get where you are coming from! :)

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The plot is still basically "Man tries to save 3 women, fails twice". 

You could trivialise a lot of movie plots in the same way. There's obviously a lot more to it than that. For me it's the only game I've ever played where I was genuinely moved by the story and felt attached to the characters in the way I would with a very good movie. I don't think there is any doubt that this game will stand the test of time as one of the seminal moments in video game history. 

• Upvote 1

I finished this today also, I really liked it but mainly because of the music and atmosphere - the story was very good and it did hit me in the feels a few time, I felt compelled to continue and actually want to play it again on a harder difficulty and have gone straight onto the DLC before picking up 2.

The above is a statement I never thought I would make so that’s huge praise. I still think the ‘game’ part of it is pretty poor but once I was past the opening couple of hours there is fun to be had in the combat but mainly trying to avoid any gunplay (and maybe that’s the point) as that is ND at its worst imo with cumbersome movement and some terrible hit detection on enemies etc . However where the immersion is almost killed is the formulaic  ‘Ohh look at all those bits of cover in a line, I wonder what’s happening here.....’ that even gears of war would be ashamed of - it’s a shame as at other times the combat is genuinely shit scary (my partner recorded me playing it and my reaction was funny as hell, I’d killed clickers and the other bigger arsehole version but wasn’t sure I was in the clear and had genuine relief when over! 

It’s an odd one for sure, it feels like it could be genuinely one of the best games ever if someone else handled the player movement and combat but despite that I did very much enjoy it when I finally got past the first bit on the third time of asking - I want to play it again, I’m happy to hand wave all sorts of things that generally piss me off in these games because there is definitely something about being in that world with the music and atmosphere.

9/10

'Man tries to save 3 women, fails twice' is quite clearly not what the story of The Last of Us is. Those are some events that happen during the course of the game, they're not the actual story.

9 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

However where the immersion is almost killed is the formulaic  ‘Ohh look at all those bits of cover in a line, I wonder what’s happening here.....’ that even gears of war would be ashamed of

Yeah it does reuse ideas in that vein a lot, there's at least a couple of sections where you make your way largely peacefully through an area and end up fighting your way back the way you came.

And you know this is going to happen because there's bricks and bottles everywhere.  Also for a stealth based game it uses the "I open a door and someone bursts through and grabs me" trick so often it's basically a meme.

--

I do have one question though, new game plus you keep your weapons etc but is there actually more ammo for them?  Because it's all very well letting me start with a flame thrower if, once I've fired it once I have to wait 10 hours for the first ammo for it.

Picked this up from a friend today.

Signed by Neil Druckmann, Bruce Straley and Ashley Johnson.

A0 in size. I've got a smaller one (A2 I think) signed by the same three from MCM London Expo back in 2013 just before the game came out which needs to go up on the wall too.

FB_IMG_15944098628485920.jpg

• Upvote 3

I think I've uncovered some of what I was missing.

Now I've finished both, Left Behind is the game everyone seems to think Last of Us is.  It's got more character development than the entire main game in its 2 hours and several decent ways to make the game itself a little less generic that don't appear in the main game.

2 seems like it'll be a lot more like that so suddenly I want to play it.

On 08/07/2020 at 09:36, Dudley said:

I do have one question though, new game plus you keep your weapons etc but is there actually more ammo for them?  Because it's all very well letting me start with a flame thrower if, once I've fired it once I have to wait 10 hours for the first ammo for it.

if I remember right from new game plus, you don’t start with the weapons, you just start with the upgrades that you have for them. So that when you pick up the flame thrower for the first time halfway through the game or whatever it is, it remembers that you had increased its capabilities.

• Upvote 1

That's another playthrough done. You'd think I'd be bored by now but I watched every cut-scene.

All collectibles but missed a couple of conversations and one joke session.

Still just absolute brilliance.

• Upvote 1

You pretty much have to watch every cut scene, only a select few are actually skippable because the game considers them "Gameplay" in some fashion.

eg - You can skip the intro until just before Sarah wakes up.  You can't skip the car ride.

On 11/07/2020 at 09:30, Marvin Morris said:

if I remember right from new game plus, you don’t start with the weapons, you just start with the upgrades that you have for them. So that when you pick up the flame thrower for the first time halfway through the game or whatever it is, it remembers that you had increased its capabilities.

This was correct thanks.

2 hours into my Grounded playthrough and I've died more times already than I did in The Last of Us 2 on normal in 26 hours :lol:

Having fun though. The checkpoint spacing means you really have to take the time to plan everything out and make every bullet really count.

Also as there's no HUD the light on the Dualshock indicating your health actually has purpose, although on Grounded it's usually just green - alive to red - you died straight away 

I finished left behind tonight, tres Bon with a great story and further proof that pleasing as Ellie is much better than playing as Joel - the couple of silly games you play out are brilliant!

Two next I guess but may just have a new game+ first...

Yeah I do think a lot of my problem is Joel is a dickhead who I wish would fuck off.

One hit kills invites a 'different' playstyle. The run like a nutter and hope for the best... Bricks are Joel's best friend on this difficulty as you can kill clickers from the front with the right timing 

• Upvote 1

110002271_10158275812835803_725837303752

It is done. I only died 280 times.

Due to the absurd lack of ammo there was a lot of 2 for 1 shottin'

The-Last-of-Us-Remastered_20200716173207

flippin' and stompin'

The-Last-of-Us-Remastered_20200717213659

and 4 at a time bombin'

The-Last-of-Us-Remastered_20200720210738

• Upvote 7

On 10/07/2020 at 23:53, Dudley said:

Left Behind is the game everyone seems to think Last of Us is.

That's exactly how I feel about Before the Storm versus Life Is Strange!

• Upvote 1