IGNORED

The Cabin in the woods

Moz

Yeah but if that's

playing to what people are expecting then why not something a bit more Lovecraftian? That's sure as hell what I was expecting after all the mention of all the Old Gods from below and all that, and I'm barely even that aware of the whole mythos beyond that

No, that doesn't work with this reading, because:

the ancient ones below are the audience, and not subject to the same audience expectations. Is the audience made up of lovecraftian horrors? No.

Watched this last night after a friend was raving about it. Its not perfect, but its the most interesting horror movie I've seen in years. So much so that I could probably write a massive post about it, but I might do that when I have more time. Some quick thoughts for now though.

I'm surprised that I havent seen anyone mention the appearance of

what look very much like the Reavers from Firefly/Serenity in there. There's even a scene that close to one in the films where the woman puts a gun to her head and shoots herself, though she actually does in this so maybe its just coincidence that you see them close to when that happens

As for the trailer giving too much away, I can see why they did it. I mean, it really is the kind of film that you are best being told about, but in the manner of "you really need to see this, but dont watch or read anything about it and just trust me", but at the same time, I cant see how they would make it seem like anything other than just another slasher film if they did. And maybe that would work, there have been some slasher films that have done really well despite being terrible. Instead they played it safe with the marketing by showing a few things and basically telling you there was more going on and hoping that would bring in more viewers wanting to know what the hell was going on, but the film also pretty much does that from the start as well. And to be honest, while the trailer does seem to show a fair bit, it doesnt give you enough to really figure out what is happening properly, and the true beauty of the film is what it all means, something that I cant see anyone picking up from in the trailer.

Like I said, the films not perfect. Its not really very scary. The first half of the film is more interesting during the none scary parts, and aside from the odd jump, doesnt really do anything to make you peer through your fingers afraid of whats going to happen next. The much lauded end third - which is brilliant - is more horror than scary, though its done really well and there are plenty of rather nasty things going on. But I'd like to have seen the earlier stuff done better, though some would argue there's a reason for how it was.

Also, I think I'm in love with the actress that played Dana. She was geoooooorgous.

Just saw this, with absolutely no prior knowledge, no trailers, didn't even know it was written by Joss until it started (to my eternal shame). Anyway, loved it. Not really like anything I've seen before. A brilliant play on the genre. Sort of

Truman show meets Evil Dead.

Saw this for the first time last night. I don't really like horror films (as in seriously scary stuff, classic and stupid I can watch but not my favourite genre) but I enjoyed how it was so different and interesting. Avoided all knowledge of the film before, laughed a lot and will like to get a copy of it at some point

Death by Unicorn!

...so different...

Where are people getting this from exactly? It's the same horror cliches time and time again throughout the entire film, the only difference between this and most other flicks is the control room side of things but then that's essentially the same as any other horror in which a sacrifice needs to be made.

The difference (beyween this and a standard horror film) is - the audience is the driving force/protagonist/killer here. Its like totally "meta"!!!! or something!!!!!!!!

Its a pretty simple concept, especially when you consider how similar most horror films are.

I didnt think it was a great film, although it was a lot of fun when everything kicked off in the facility.

Watched this last night, thought it was rubbish.

All the talk of not spoiling it beforehand and it was totally predictable throughout.

once they establish the "real world" setup right in the first scene, it follows that the only twist left is that there is a supernatural reason behind it after all. Everything else then hinges on how much you then enjoy the horror tropes being lampooned, but these were all so obvious that it just irritated me. Oh a round puzzle, that'll probably be Hellraiser, etc, etc. And did anyone not guess that the guy who always wanted to see a merman would meet his fate that way?

Some of the performances and jokes raised a wry smile, but mostly it was not-as-clever-as-it-thinks-is, postmodern rubbish. I was several steps ahead of it the whole way.

I was several steps ahead of it the whole way.

I think that was the whole point of it, for example one scene after the initial er, badmans are setup and stoner dude is sat in front of the window and the camera angle is set so you can see a lot of said window in shot and it just lingers and lingers and lingers until........... yeah.

It was mocking the genre by being the exact same thing. Somehow that's clever because Joss Whedon co-wrote it? Fucking nerds. :rolleyes:

It was hard to tell if I was being "allowed" to guess everything that was coming up, so that I could be in on the joke, or patronised by something so painfully obvious. I've read the thread from the beginning and I'm startled that people didn't twig what was happening, or how the thing would unfold.

I mean, just as a tiny example

As soon as you see the motorbike on the back of the camper van, and the bird flying into the barrier, it doesn't take a genius to work out what was going to happen to someone at some point. And once you realise that there could have been any number of different monsters released (i.e the minute they start playing with the obvious "toys" from a multitude of horror films, and see them betting on which will be invoked), it's fairly obvious that these monsters will end up escaping and tearing shit up

. Never mind how easy it was to guess the entire setup of

Real-life facility set up to engineer "supernatural" sacrifice scenarios to appease greater, actually supernatural evil hiding "downstairs"

. But then I have seen the Tom Baker Dr Who episode State of Decay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Decay

stateofdecay_greatvampire.jpg

What was it that people were surprised by in this film?

I think that's it though, it telegraphs EVERYTHING... Several scenes would've been surprising if not for earlier nods and winks, The scene you mention with the bird for example, I was just waiting for the bike. I think I was the only one who laughed at that though.

It's a 'horror' full of cliches and it tries to be clever with them but ends up just being as cliched. Meta-irony right there. Horror for hipsters.

I've got to agree there.

How people didn't guess the entire setup is beyond me. I mean

, it opens with the guys in the facility and it reveals very early on that they are engineering the whole setup. If they'd left it at that we could have at least had fun guessing why, but then they make a reference to "him downstairs" or something, after which if you still hadn't guessed what the reason for it all was, then well...

Plus, you know - it wasn't scary. It was slightly funny in places though, the unicorn made me laugh, as did the Japanese girls, but otherwise it was as much of a "fail" as the shoe-horned in internet meme in the actual "fail" scenes.

The bit with the barrier and the guy on the motorbike: knowing what's going to happen is what makes it great.

Yeah, with this bit in particular it's pretty elementary.

Really obvious set-up to undermine the cheesy heroic speech that Hemsworth gives, the soaring music, all of that. It's building to a punchline - you're not meant to be shocked, you're meant to be laughing. And his death goes on for SO LONG as he bounces off the forcefield. I love that scene to bits.

What worked so much for me was that everything in the facility is a riff on how horror fan audiences watch these types of films. Watch a Friday 13th film with the right audience and everyone is cheering on Jason and egging on to see some cheap tits... which is exactly what the film is doing with the office guys.

I've never watched one of these 'cabin in the woods' type films to be scared or expect anyone but the main character to survive and the film knew that and played with that concept. Afterwards it's hard for me to watch a horror film without laughing at the idea that in the background is someone watching, betting on and controlling the actions on screen for our entertainment.

We, the audience, are the old gods of Cabin in the Woods for every other generic horror film out there.

And as for the last 20 minutes, i don't know how anyone couldn't enjoy that.

Ok fine, yes I was extrapolating a bit.

I guess I'm just faintly perplexed that people could be even remotely impressed by such sledgehammer metaphors as the one mentioned by Podge above, whilst at the same time enjoying knowing what's going to happen in pretty much every scene (because we're in on the signposted horror clichés), and yet somehow finding the plot of the film surprising when it was one of the most obvious setups I've ever seen.

It's just a weird mix. I think I might have enjoyed it more as an out and out comedy, as there were some good laughs to be had.