rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

The what I'm getting for Christmas thread

I felt this was different enough from the Christmas recommendation thread. Merge it otherwise.

So this is my first Christmas where I'll be getting boardgames as a present. I'm very excited, because it's an opportunity to not only get stuff I couldn't otherwise explore, but also buy for others, knowing they'll have no choice but to play them with me.

My wife is going to buy me Power Grid and Summoner's Wars

My inlaws are getting me either Mage Knight, Super Dungeon Explore or Rallyman (I can't decide, but am leaning towards Mage Knight)

I'm buying the wife the Quarriors expansion, buying Carcassonne The Catapult for my 6-year old and the latest Thunderstone expansion for my 11-year old.

All in all there's going to be a lot of games to play :)

• Upvote 1

No idea. I just bought myself Warhammer Quest and got Forbidden Island, Formula D and Warhammer Invasion for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, all off my wishlist. Left on it, which my wife has circulated around the family, are:

Small World

Dixit

Dominion

Arkham Horror

Lego Heroica (all of them)

Last Night On Earth

Fortune & glory

A La Carte

Settlers of Catan

Pandemic

Castle Panic

The Adventurers

Carcassone

Ticket to Ride

So plenty of choice and price ranges for people to pick from. Can't wait!

Well, I will be getting some or none of the below (as they're part of a list including non-boardgames) from the better half:

• Cyclades

• Dust Tactics Core Set

• Fortune and Glory

• The Legend of Drizzt

• Star Trek - Fleet Captains

• Summoner Wars: Master Set

All of which have been reviewed on Cardboard Children, as it happens, though not all of them selected because of that (Fleet Captains, Drizzt and Summoner Wars I was interested in anyway, and Dust Tactics I was pushed over the edge thanks to this weekend's CC) - only Cyclades and Fortune and Glory are in the list solely on biglime's recommendation.

There's nothing particularly cheap in the list because she lives nowhere near any local stores, so postage would make such games a waste of money to buy online. Also, big presents > small presents ;)

Is Quarriors still really hard to get? I fancy getting it as a Christmas present to myself.

I meant to say that Quarriors was back in stock, but forgot as I was distracted by something else shiny on the internet

• Upvote 1

Getting Mage Knight, Quarriors Expansion and Forbidden Island

Not sure if these are xmas gifts, birthday gifts or just stuff I'm buying myself yet. Probably the last one as we're not doing Christmas at all this year.

I'm not getting anything! Mainly as there's no point because I get plenty already, but also because money is tight as I try and launch the company next year.

That because of the wedding or because you're a grumpy bast?

Mutual agreement, as we both buy ourselves what ever we want though the year, it makes Christmas almost impossible, or we end up getting each other stuff we'd would have just bought anyhow. That probably sounds quite cunty or show-off-ish, sorry I don't mean it to be.

I suppose we both think a Christmas gift should be more than a copy of "Space Warriors 5" which you would buy for yourself next week if it wasn't Christmas.

We'd rather just have a nice day, cook loads of grub, and spend some time together, than exchange gifts which we both know exactly what they are.

That and the fact we pissed a fuck-tonne of cash on the wedding/honeymoon

EDIT: Sorry I appear to have gone on a bit! I just wanted to make it clear it wasn't some grumpy Christmas hating thing

• Upvote 3

I've asked for Arkham Horror, I have my doubts whether I'll get that or not though.

So probably nothing for this folder!

I've put a ton on my list, but only really expecting Lord of the Rings LCG.

But also down are:

Arkham Horror

Thunderstone

Dominion

Dust Tactics

Ascension

Mr. Jack

If I only get one, I'll be happy as I'll be going from zero to hero something as I have nothing apart from my FF books to game with! (Collective 'ahhhh!'s from the audience) :)

Oh, I just want to point out that I'm not a greedy materialistic bastard. Well, I am, but that's a need that a sate myself. My Amazon wishlist gets built up all the time, whenever someone mentions a game or film or book that sounds interesting I add it so that I don't forget.

So, umm, yeah. I loves the shiny new things but my list isn't made up I stuff I expect or want people to buy me. It's just there to help those who do want a guiding hand.

After reading some reviews my inlaws are now getting me Fortune and Glory ;)

I've also decided to treat myself to Dixit and Cyclades after reading reviews on Shut Up and Sit Down and Cardboard Children.

Right. No more games until the new year.

I've also decided to treat myself to Dixit and Cyclades after reading reviews on Shut Up and Sit Down and Cardboard Children.

What, a whole 3.5 weeks? Your self-control’s astonishing Daz :)

What, a whole 3.5 weeks? Your self-control’s astonishing Daz :)

I know :eyebrows:

The mrs has moaned though because she said I shouldn't be buying games (Dixit, Cyclades) before Christmas.

• Upvote 1

She has a point though.

I totally agree. I'm just so fucking weak when it comes to new games. Maybe I'll wrap them up and not play them until the big day...

I'm getting Blood Bowl Team Manager from The Wife and can't bloody wait. Nothing else though as I still haven't figured out Arkham Horror.

Just to break your will, I'd get the expansion for Dixit very early if you like it at all. You can re-use the cards in the box an unlimited amount of time, but it makes it more fun having as much variation as possible.

The pissy tiny Waterstones in Chesterfield had loads of games today. Blood Bowl, both Discworld, Game of Thrones (probably 2 games, or maybe one was the LOTR game. Which one is for 3 players) as well as the usual suspects. I stopped myself because A) it's chrimbo (as attested by this thread) and B) I have about 20 unplayed games.

I have managed to find a little self control recently actually. It had fallen behind the bed but was fine when I blew the dust off.

oh god, 70 games unplayed...... that's really, really bad isn't it.

• Upvote 1

Wow! :blink: you guys makes me feel a whole lot better about my collection which from a scan of BGG, is about 44 games (including some tiddly expansions and some weird bits) and I count about 10 I've never played.

That gives me free reign to go on a splurge, right? :unsure: