Code Of Princess (EX) - spiritual sequel to Guardian Heroes

Keyboard Koala

SI_3DSDS_CodeOfPrincess_image1600w.jpg

Thanks to Agatsuma Entertainment, Kinu Nishimura’s (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors; Street Fighter...) Code of Princess' fantasy world is coming to Nintendo 3DS!

The heroine of the game, Solange Blanchefleur de Luxe ( -yup...), is a gigantic sword carrying sorceress, with healing powers, and typically prefers not to wear pants.

The game’s story takes place in a world where humans and monsters co-exist. However, the balance between the two groups breaks and the monsters attack the royal castle. Solange’s father then entrusts her with a sacred sword and the task of restoring balance to the world.

And it doesn’t look like Solange is going to write treaties, because the game is a side-scrolling beat‘em-up with simple button commands and flashy special attacks. Code of Princess will also support co-operative play for quests and a competitive mode where you can fight other players.

Main characters:

Solange Blanchefleur de Luxe: Entrusted by her father with the sacred blade DeLuxcalibur to restore peace to the land.

2337427-p.png

Spoiler

Ali Vava: A female thief with rather boyish looks.

2337424-t.png

Lady Zozo: A zombie girl (but don't call her that) who loves milk, and turned herself into the undead to further explore magic...

2337426-z.png

Allegro Nantabile Cantabile: An light-hearted elf wielding a guitar-axe.

2337425-b.png

Apart from these characters, players will meet and take control of other characters like a cool and composed samurai, a hulking gladiator, a pious morningstar-wielding nun, and ...erm, Tut-Ankh Amon's cat?

Each of the characters has their own special abilities, and you gain experience by defeating enemies. You can also raise six attributes by investing points in them: vitality, piety, attack, defense, mind, and speed.

So far so good, but this is where things get really interesting...

Apparently, Code Of Princess is being developed by none other than (part of) the team from Treasure responsible for the Sega Saturn cult-hit (and all-time rllmuk favourite) Guardian Heroes !! Just take a look for yourselves...

Trailer:

Guardian Heroes 3DS in all but name methinks.

Code of Princess is slated for release in Japan in spring 2012, no word on a Western release thus far.

faNr94r.jpg

You're linking to images on a site that prohibits hotlinking - you're seeing them because they're in your cache, but everybody else has to manually load the links up in separate windows/tabs to see them.

And, yes, the main character really is erring a bit too far on the creepy side for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Japanese release date confirmed for April 19, 2012.

Official Japanese debut trailer:

Hopefully we'll get a Euro release as well, as this really looks like the next Guardian Heroes game. It surprises me there isn't some more interest in this game, as Guardian Heroes is so fondly remembered by a lot of rllmuk'ers iirc.

Hopefully we'll get a Euro release as well, as this really looks like the next Guardian Heroes game. It surprises me there isn't some more interest in this game, as Guardian Heroes is so fondly remembered by a lot of rllmuk'ers iirc.

Fondly remembered? We're all playing it on XBLA!

More relevantly, I'd be a lot more interested in the game if the character design didn't make me want to murder people.

It surprises me there isn't some more interest in this game, as Guardian Heroes is so fondly remembered by a lot of rllmuk'ers iirc.

No sign of a western release..

3DS is region locked..

3DS apathy in general..

3DS apathy in general..

I hadn't really noticed, tbh. Or do you mean the general public?

There's already some cracking games for it y'know. Super Mario Land 3D, Pullblox, Mario Kart, heck even Pilotwings Resort I still consider pretty good. Then there's Metal Gear Solid 3D, and Sakura Samurai all on the way before Easter. No FPS's though...

Interview on siliconera.com with Code of Princess' director shedding some light on the involvement of the Guardian Heroes team and the possibility of a Western release.

Director and Producer Nakajima answered our questions about bringing the Guardian Heroes team back together and how the game’s four playable characters fight.

For everyone who isn’t familiar with it, can you tell us about the Code of Princess universe?

Nakajima, Producer and Director: Code of Princess is an imaginary fantasy world thought up by Nishimura Kinu, who has done lots of game illustrations.

Solange is the only daughter of the king’s clan, who has the CODE, which allows her to use the sacred sword. In this fantasy world, magic exists. The magic people use and the existence of creatures are deeply correlated.

What secrets about Solange or the Code of Princess universe can you tell us? Did Nishimura Kinu have any ideas for that weren’t used or an alternate design for Solange?

Solange is the first princess of Lux of the Delaccia. She has a serious personality and is kind to others, but born in the king’s clan, her perspective is different compared to an average citizen.

In a prototype version Solange wore cape. The 2P colored VS version is now under evaluation from Nishimura. Figurines should have 2P colored version where a cape covers her whole body. Right now, it’s only covering part of her body.

How did you bring the original Guardian Heroes team together? It must have been difficult since so many years have passed.

It was not planned that way. When we met them, all the members were still there. It was a miracle. They all worked together on the same team with same project. In addition, Nishimura gave us the figurine project, so the project got started.

In some gameplay screenshots and it appears characters can equip items and level up. Can you tell us more about character development?

After completing a quest, players will get experience points. Experience points will allow the character to upgrade. Upgrading will give players different points that allow you to upgrade parameters to have the character designed as they like. To customize attacks, you can use items to set skills, to change of the nature of your attacks.

What makes the four characters different in battle?

Solange is a powerful fighter who uses a big sword, and Ally is a trickster who can deal lots of hits with agile moves. Zozoko is a long distance character who shoots magic, and Allegro is all-rounder that fights with instruments, music, and so on. I hope players will have fun using different types of attacks with each character when playing Code of Princess.

Will this group work on other games at Agatsuma Entertainment after Code of Princess?

All the colleagues in this project have character, so the outcome of their work is great. On top, since I had great time creating this title with people, I would love to work with them again!

Why did you select 3DS as the platform for Code of Princess and how did you use the system’s new features?

Agatsuma also released kids’ titles. So, to get attention from all age groups, 3DS is the best platform to work on. This title uses a Line Battle System with depth, so 3D is a good way to display it. Code of Princess will not support Streetpass.

While unorthodox, Code of Princess started as a figurine and now it’s becoming a video game. Since Agatsuma Entertainment has experience in the toy and game industry do you see this as an emerging trend?

In Japan, there are couple of game projects started from figurines. From now on, games might create from attractive contents, such as figurines, cards, and so on.

Agatsuma Entertainment has been involved with other games too like the Anapanman titles, Drawn to Life, and you also licensed WiiWare game NyxQuest. Do you plan to create more original titles in the future like Code of Princess? What other platforms are Agatsuma planning to work with in the future?

Yes, we are definitely planning to create NEW IPs with games and in depth gameplay. As a creator, I have interest in ALL platforms. So, I would love the challenge of working on other platforms.

The readers are excited about Code of Princess. Do you think we’ll see the game released outside of Japan?

There are lots of fish in the action game world. However, I would like gamers to have fun with the unique feeling this title has. We are hoping to release the title in the western world! Please have fun, when you try this game.

Yeah, initial reveal painted this as some sort of 'homage' to Guardian Heroes, but it can probably claim bloodline, considering the designer and director of GH have both contributed to this game, who knew, even a dev like Treasure can lose key staff:

Tetsuhiko "Han" Kikuchi - game concept planning, enemy character design, and motion direction

Masaki Ukyo - programming and game system design

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suposidly this is on the cards for a USA/EU release - a post was put up on a forum but then promptly removed as the user said its not 100% set in stone but on the cards - and they didnt want to ruin it in anyway with the post.

Well thats what i read on the Internet.

Suposidly this is on the cards for a USA/EU release - a post was put up on a forum but then promptly removed as the user said its not 100% set in stone but on the cards - and they didnt want to ruin it in anyway with the post.

Well thats what i read on the Internet.

The internet never lies! Please let it be true.