IGNORED

Fortnite: Battle Royale - CH3S3 We vibin’ boys

Pistol

That side of it seems so deeply woven into the fabric of the game, I can't see them changing it. Orcs Must Die coming out in the meantime just confirmed that the tower defence/combat side of it was all I was ever really interested in. It's a far more streamlined experience. I hate being bogged down in stat screens etc.

I'm thick as fuck and I just like shooting and punching things. 

And none of it actually feels crammed in when you are playing it.

I picked this up at launch and played it a bit, and liked it, but it got put on the back burner due to other games. Started playing it at the weekend again and something just clicked and I've been really enjoying it. The skill trees and card system all felt a bit overwhelming at first but it just needs a bit of patience and it all makes sense. I had a go at the Battle Royale mode last night and it was fun. Tense but fun. The game seemed to run well (on xbox) with 100 people all shooting each other. Can't wait for team mode to be added as I'm far more likely to play that than going it solo.

Isn't this very similar to what happened with H1Z1?

Started off as a early access pay 2 play zombie survival game which would be going free to play when released.

At some point they then added a battle royale game mode which eventually split off to become it's own thing.

The zombie survival side was then quietly dropped and the battle royale side took over as the main thing.

Reddit is going to be angry.

Personally, I think the free standalone PUBG "homage" is a bit of a low blow from Epic.

If it had been an addition to Fortnite -a currently paid for title- it will not have been too bad, a little cheeky perhaps, but releasing a complete standalone competitor for nothing in order to get it to the consoles first?

Microsoft will be pissed. I can see them having spent a lot of investment in the "exclusive" XBox version of PUBG (think time investment as well as throwing cash at Bluehole - their Christmas ad campaign and Scorpio release etc) but more importantly perhaps is the fact that that PUBG runs on the UE4 engine.

Other developers will have to be watching this thinking: If we make the Next Big Thing using UE4, will Epic merely "copy" their whole idea and give it away for free before they manage to get it in the shops?  

Epic have the familiarity with the engine, the manpower, the talent and the resources to do it- what is stopping them doing it again if another title developed on their engine generates enough interest?

Apparently the Battle Royale is going to be free to play with microtransactions for cosmetic items only. Compared to the main game which was buy to play early access and then effectively being pay to progress/pay to win with loot boxes that drop guns and stuff. 

Patch notes for 1.6.3 have been released . I'm downloading the game now, which currently is not usable as you need to purchase the Founder pack to play, until the latest patch drop which then unlocks the BR section of the game to play for free.

No details yet on how big the patch will be, but supposed to be going live around 5pm BST today.

On 21/09/2017 at 12:22, spork said:

Apparently the Battle Royale is going to be free to play with microtransactions for cosmetic items only. Compared to the main game which was buy to play early access and then effectively being pay to progress/pay to win with loot boxes that drop guns and stuff. 

All that paying you have to do after you’ve bought it. You can see everyone complain about it in this very thread :mellow:

On 21/09/2017 at 12:22, spork said:

You don't need to spend a penny to progress/win in the game. It's pay to get more loot that you'd get by playing the game normally anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

And vehicles and better tuned gameplay.

This is quite remarkable but what's most remarkable to me is that Ubi haven't re-appropriated Ghost Recon which almost feels built with this type of game mode in mind.

Yeah, GR has just gone PvP and the lack of a Battle Royale mode is very odd. They could have made an incredible PUBG beater with that map and the assets they have.

• Pistol changed the title to Fortnite: Battle Royale - CH3S3 We vibin’ boys