IGNORED

Fortnite: Battle Royale - CH3S4: Paradise - Shiny and chrome

Pistol

Just did a fun mission (was a repeat one) with one other person. Where we had to pretect the data download. 

I wandered around collecting tapes for another quest, whilst they built a tiny but super effective fort around the landing zone. We both the pissed around completing mini missions, protecting survivors, etc then we dug in for the 8 minute onslaught. 

Was pretty damned fun. It had clicked with me already how fun this game can be, but that cemented it.

I'm working through the tutorial missions still, only on the second page of quests in Stormwood.

Question though - how much damage can my kids do if left to play themselves? If they don't go near menus and schematics, and just played missions, can they irreversibly fuck anything up? Like I read someone here panicking about running out of ammo - is it that hard to find/craft more? When my shitty white guns have got close to breaking so far it's been easy to craft a replacement - will they destroy all my guns and make it hard to progress?

Obviously don't need advice on whether a PEGI 12 is OK for them or not - just difficult to stop them from playing without me :) 

Ammo is really easy to get, you just need to destroy vehicles with your pickaxe or find the bits by searching boxes. When you destroy a gun the game automatically slots another from your inventory so they will eventually leave you with no weapons if they don't get any as rewards. They probably pick up enough materials to craft some new weapons though, if they're searching and using the pickaxe. 

With the base building you can store stuff on the computer at your base. Its worth sticking a bunch of the base metal, wood, stone in there. You can share resources like weapons with friends by dropping them, great for rarer things like ores and gizmos, probably best to do this at your base so randoms don't nick them. 

Got a Legendary Ninja on that free Llama mega drop the other day and have been leveling her up. Her shurikens do a ton of damage and save me a bunch of ammo plus I'm not burning through guns as much. Bought a 1000 coins last night when drunk and got sod all in any of the llamas so won't be doing that again.

Glad a took the risk with this. It's a game out of my comfort zone for sure. But it really is satisfying to play.

it made me take a look at Paragon, by virtue of it also being by Epic Games.

Anyone here play that?

Back to Fortnite though, I am even tempted to pick up the Deluxe (Is that the one up from the cheapest?) Edition for the extra goodies and to support the developers. Because this doesn't feel early access to me even compared to some full priced, full release games.

I'm playing this on PS4 and having a great time with it.

I might have a code (possibly two) for the standard digital editon of the game available if I upgrade, if anyone is interested. I'd sell for £25 (it's £32.99 on PSN, £34.99 on PC).

Mind if I add you on PS4, @bradigor? I don't use a mic either, but it's fairly straightforward to follow the objectives, and there's text chat. 

15 hours ago, retroed said:

I upgraded to the Super Deluxe edition this evening, so I now have one code available for the standard founder's edition on PS4 at a discount if anyone is interested.

I might be. Am I right in thinking that also gets me the PC version once I link an Epic account, or is it just progress that carries over?

4 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I might be. Am I right in thinking that also gets me the PC version once I link an Epic account, or is it just progress that carries over?

I can only distribute the code I have via PSN, so you would need a PS4 and be added as a friend. I know that once I received my code originally and linked my Epic account I was able to play on PS4, so would assume it works the other way too but I can't say for certain. 

Erm... my home base is a mess. I ideally need to knock it down and start again. 

Just finished the defence where I installed my first amplifier and scraped through. 

Have no ammo and no craft resources left. Time to scavenge in missions haha 

Personally, I add a ton of stuff to the Collection. There is a perk you can unlock that allows to Transform items and people into better ones. Fictional example to give you an idea: 5 greys = 1 green. 5 greens = 1 blue etc.

Just now, df0 said:

Truth be told, I am not entirely sure how Collection works. I added items and defenders I think have access to, but maybe not. Dunno :huh:

If it's in your inventory it can be added to the book, if you have survivors/defenders slotted in a squad they can't be added but any duplicates will show up. 

8 minutes ago, df0 said:

Makes sense.

My base in a mess with Defenders placed at the most inconvenient locations :lol: Man, I really hope they patch the game soon and add a "remove/replace" option.

I'd be happy if they even 'charged' you to reset your home base. 

By charge I mean - Get back 50-60% of the resources used to build your base instead of 100%

I fully agree. Heck, I'll settle for a 75% - 90% charge. It is dead easy to gather resources, all it takes is a little time and the right area (woods for wood, suburbs for metal).

Or 0% in the first area - Stonewood - that is basically a large tutorial. In later levels they can charge, maybe ramp it up to 50% in zone 2.

29 minutes ago, df0 said:

I fully agree. Heck, I'll settle for a 75% - 90% charge. It is dead easy to gather resources, all it takes is a little time and the right area (woods for wood, suburbs for metal).

Or 0% in the first area - Stonewood - that is basically a large tutorial. In later levels they can charge, maybe ramp it up to 50% in zone 2.

Yep. 

Watching the Giant Bomb Unfinished of this and the developer they have on there explains a lot fo things really well. (Squads still confuse me) He also mentions that they are still working on a lot of things and are aware of many of the niggles people have. 

19 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hey, so this is worth checking out, then? Where's everyone playing? Pc or ps4?

I jumped in because of the PSN credit mess up on Amazon. I was wary as I don't particularly like crafting style games, but I am mightily pleased I did and it has taken over my gaming time completely. I even put in the extra £17 for the next version up. 

Not sure how much it is to go to the next next version, but it you wanted to pay less than the £34.99 for the base game to offset my cost, I'd be tempted to do so. So I could upgrade again. 

Essentially I went from cynical to tempted, to intrigued, to convinced, to hooked!

I did the Stonewood Storm shield defense 4 mission last night, the one where you have to protect the first amplifier bradigor mentioned above, and only just made it.  Shape of things to come, I need to put a little more thought into my protection I think. :lol:

I've had no response from @gooner4life in the last 13hrs, so I still have a PS4 code available for £25.

Edit: he no longer wants the code, so it's available. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hey, so this is worth checking out, then? Where's everyone playing? Pc or ps4?

Doesn't matter. Buy the game on one format, link your account to the other and you have it on both.

There is cross platform play (between PS4 and PC) but it's a bit of a ballache to get going as your friends are format exclusive. It's definitely do-able though (even if I can't remember exactly how) as I cross platform played with Spork (me on PS4, him on PC).

• Pistol changed the title to Fortnite: Battle Royale - CH3S4: Paradise - Shiny and chrome