Fortnite: Battle Royale Mode

So far the update seems incredibly positive, I've not got any complaints really!

Very minor things I've noted, but nothing that spoils the game.

* They've vaulted loads of weapons and items. Including the auto sniper - the only one I can get any use out of :lol:. However reducing the loot pool simplifies things and levels the playing field so can't really argue against it.

* The new phat bushes, dumpsters and slurp outfalls (that heal you up whilst completely concealing you!) take bush camping to a whole new level; but then, some people will always camp, it’s hardly game breaking.

* A bunch of stats seem to be missing when spectating; I can’t see the kill count or even how many players are left in the game anymore.

Niggles at best, loving the new stuff like fishing and carrying downed players! 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So far the update seems incredibly positive, I've not got any complaints really!

Very minor things I've noted, but nothing that spoils the game.

* They've vaulted loads of weapons and items. Including the auto sniper - the only one I can get any use out of :lol:. However reducing the loot pool simplifies things and levels the playing field so can't really argue against it.

* The new phat bushes, dumpsters and slurp outfalls (that heal you up whilst completely concealing you!) take bush camping to a whole new level; but then, some people will always camp, it’s hardly game breaking.

* A bunch of stats seem to be missing when spectating; I can’t see the kill count or even how many players are left in the game anymore.

Niggles at best, loving the new stuff like fishing and carrying downed players! 

I'm so glad they did this. I know they vault stuff every so often but the weapon pool was ridiculous and confusing to me.

Is this full of bots at the moment then?

I've literally not played since week 1 or 2 of X but have managed 9 kills in 3 games and a top 3 finish when normally I'd be lucky to get 3 kills in 9 games :lol:

also since I've been playing on PC I've noticed some screen tearing, is there any particular setting that could affect this? (I'm not really much of a PC gamer, hell I play Fortnite using an xb360 controller that's seen better days as I've never gotten on with m+kB controls)

2 minutes ago, K said:

Stupid question - why would the game be full of bots? I thought Fortnite was the biggest game in the world, and therefore wouldn't be short of players.

I just saw it mentioned up thread? And because there can't be this many people shitter than me!

12 in 4 now

All part of their attempts to keep the game fun for the whole range of players: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/fortnite-matchmaking-update-battle-royale

Whether it's the right thing to do, is open to debate. A while ago the community was pretty against skill based matchmaking; but as the player base has continued to grow, and the number of highly skilled players rises, the core game was getting pretty unsatisfying for a large number of players. Who wants to feel like they're constantly outclassed? It got to the point where I didn't bother playing solo, because there was almost zero chance of me winning, I'd never be able to compete with the sort of skilled players that seemed to win every game. Team Rumble goes some way to alleviating those issues, because you can still enjoy it and complete your challenges no matter how many times you get wiped out. But it's ultimately unsatisfying; what worth is there in a "victory" in that mode, where it's essentially 50/50? Just depends whether you end up on the better team most of the time. And for a skilled player, is getting 50 eliminations in a match against infinitely respawning noobs a mark of anything but their desire to shit on said noobs?

So I guess skill based matchmaking and bots are good for keeping the majority of the player base engaged. The disadvantage is that for really good players, it can take ages to set up a match as there aren't as many highly skilled players in the pool queueing for a game at any one time. Bots are a way of keeping the matches full, but again, a match with bots in it isn't going to be satisfying for a top tier player!

I don't think I mind the bots as I'm crap myself :lol:

Thanks. I have no problem with them myself, like I said, I'd be lucky to get more than a couple of kills in a dozen or so games, at least now I'm killing something and I'm sure as I get more confident I'll be playing against more "real people". 

It's mostly as shame that when I do play Fortnite its usually during the day as I'm not much of a late night gamer any more (seriously, we're in bed by half ten and I'm normally reading before that)

I played my first ever game of Fortnite ever last night - mainly coz I'm testing out my new Switch Hori Joycons.  

No clue what I was doing.  Didn't build any apartment complexes this game is so well known for.  And I ended up winning :O

Definitely full of bots.

Also...I prefer Blackout.

Yes! If you join a party and they're already in a game, the "ready" button becomes "watch" or "spectate" instead - press it and you spectate the game they're in!

No more boring waiting around in the lobby wondering how long till the game finishes!

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I remembered about the spectate from the lobby feature just in time to watch you get that - congrats!

That’s cool, I hope you didn’t hear our party chat as it got a bit manic at the end :lol:

Some good games with you, no idea what happened at the end as it just wouldn’t load a game and then we had to quit to menu and couldn’t get back in for a while! 

Odd question: I’ve had a few heavy nights out since the release. I’m looking to get the battle pass but can’t see where I’d do that but it’s probable that I’ve got it but don’t remember. Where do you go to buy it/how can I tell if I’ve got it?!

Fortnite is in it's best state since season 4 right now.

It so badly needed this refresh, the only criticism i'd have at the moment is too many RPG's spawn, other than that the loot pool is so much better than what we had on Season X.

Took me a couple of days to get my victory umbrella for this season, but I won a solo and then got a squad win in my next game, so i've got every seasons umbrella, the streak is still on :D

I think the match just ends if there's only bots left.

There's a couple of glitches doing the rounds that are annoying folk - one lets you heal at slurpy swamp faster than the storm take your health down, so people just camp there for a free win. And another that gets you under the map. Bit galling if you've worked for a win only to have it stolen by a glitching camper.

Also people are complaining that the amount of XP awarded isn't enough to complete the battle pass without an insane amount of grind; personally I feel it's too early to be moaning, if there's a genuine problem then Epic will see it from the stats and probably adjust the amount of XP we get accordingly.

What with skill based matchmaking and bots making it generally easier to get a win this season, do people feel that a victory Royale is devalued? Personally I don’t, I have somehow managed to gather a complete collection of umbrellas and if I’m honest, some of them were more down to luck than anything else. I get that few victories that the ones I really feel I earned still stick in my memory. Do I really care that it’s easier to win now? Nah, for me a quality win is still a great feeling - it’s not the umbrellas or the stats that matter to me, it’s having fun and it feels more fun now!

@pistol I couldn't care less if it's less valuable (which seems to be your mindset). I've only ever gotten a few top 3's before but as you can see got my first ever win today (I generally played chunks of every other season) so I'm very happy

28 minutes ago, wev said:

@pistol I couldn't care less if it's less valuable (which seems to be your mindset). I've only ever gotten a few top 3's before but as you can see got my first ever win today (I generally played chunks of every other season) so I'm very happy

Congrats! Yeah it doesn't matter to me, just wondered - seems we're on the same page, fun is all that is important!

Doesn’t seem easier to get a victory Royale to me, I don’t really see bots and even in the one game I defi had some the top ten was the usual sweat fest of pc players and it felt the same as ever when I missed out on the W :hat:

Maybe I need to start up a new account to get some easy wins..... or are we talking about that first game you drop out of the bus? Two of my mates didn’t win that, I did and was a bit disappointed to get the umbrella from it tbh - only realised I got it after the squads win we got and didn’t get the umbrella popped as it turned out I already had it. Pretty sure it didn’t count in my stats as a win so assumed I didn’t get the brolly either

I've played about 10-15 games, and its Bot City.

You see characters running towards you, and expect them shoot, but they end up running towards the nearest wall, and start breaking it down with the axe.

I dont know how i feel about Bots yet. Im getting more kills, but they dont feel as 'earned'.

Only answer is to get better i think. Im sure i read somewhere that the better you get, the less bots appear.

Its all still there though isn't it? It's just been made a little more enjoyable for those of us who aren't very good. I've apparently played 368 matches and have one win, 30 top tens, 83 top 25's, 147 kills and an average game time of 2 minutes. But if the matchmaking works properly then you're more likely to be placed with better players, right? 

It looks to me as if the gap between levels is the same (am on level 11 so far). So with challenges offering 14k I guess I’d need to check (but think that each pip is around 10k?). It does feel like it’s going to take some playing and completed challenges to get the full 100 levels. 

• squirtle changed the title to Fortnite: Battle Royale Mode