Gamer's Claw

Phelan

So I just stayed up all night playing both PGR2 and Rainbow Six III on my Xbox and I now have gamer's claw. Both hands don't want to come out of their Xbox controller s grip mode and I'm even having difficulty typing as my hands just want to pull 'dem triggers.

Jeez this hurts like a bitch. My eyes are sore too maybe from lack of sleep and maybe from too much gaming.

No fit or seizure though...and thankfully no motion sickness (curse you Timesplitters 2)

Anyone else had anything nasty happen to them thanks to games? or do you, like me, just spend time cursing gaming claw?

.::: I used to get headaches after playing games for hours when I was a kid.

Luckily as I kept on playing over the years they gradually waned away.

Wait... is that positive?

I also had trouble with my hands after playing on the original Xbox controller. After such a session my Xbox went unused for a few months until I finally got my Controller S'.

Those two are the only afflictions I've ever got from gaming.

I remember when Tony Hawks first came out and we'd play it for hours and hours after getting back from the pub.

Any time that I left the house afterwards I'd be unable to stop myself looking around and thinking 'grind off that, ollie onto that bin...along the telephone line' etc

Mentally crippling.

I remember when Tony Hawks first came out and we'd play it for hours and hours after getting back from the pub.

Any time that I left the house afterwards I'd be unable to stop myself looking around and thinking 'grind off that, ollie onto that bin...along the telephone line' etc

Mentally crippling.

Yup know that one.

I've suffered from callus thumb on numerous occasions thanks to Tony (just can't use the stick)

Wrist aches and eye strain....

I remmeber one occasion after missioning out on Civ3 me musses dragged me out cos she needed to go shopping, she doesn't drive, so I was. Total headfuck, textures from the game kept overlaying over other cars, buildings and roads, it was all I could do to stay on the road!

Mentally crippling.

After playing Civ 2 to much I used to walk around thinking how I could destroy either the Romans or the French.

Mentally crippling.

After playing Civ 2 to much I used to walk around thinking how I could destroy either the Romans or the French.

I do that anyway...

After playing loads of Spider-Man I had the same thing, constantly spotting places I could zip to or swing from.

Also had a completely awful night's sleep after playing the Sims for the first time, kept waking up and looking for the little spinny diamond over my girlfriend's head etc...

edit: and how could I forget - massive, crippling right thumbache after Gitaroo Man

Using a Dreamcast pad for too long would turn VERY painfull for me, the triggers are just the wrong shape and in the wrong place, also suffered Gaming claw but not that often. Fasteasyfree's post has just made me realise the twinges in my shoulders could be gaming related, it's like my tendents twinge(specifically around my shoulder/back) only for a fraction of a second but it feels like your arm is being ripped off. Haven't had that for a while though, thankfully. I am putting more time into games which might of got it to ease off for now. ;) Do I now have to play games for my own health.

Crazy Taxi used to make the area between my thumb and index finger really, really hurt. I find that if I play Xbox games too much now the same thing happens... although it's better now that I use the Controller S (but still happens, grrr)

I've noticed something strange also: If I go for a while without playing any games or using the 'net, I start to get these annoying little muscle spazms in my eye or my arm.

I sometimes get those too, but never put it down to gaming, just assumed it's something everyone gets from time to time...

The Xbox controller s always gives me sore index fingers, the triggers are so tight. I swear, after a few more years I'm gonna have gorilla-sized index fingers while the rest look normal :)

Did I ever tell you about my Gradius Reading? I had played Gradius Advance like crazy one evening, and got sick of it and sat down to read PC Gamer. I was compelled in a sort of delerious focus to read everything on the left edge of the page as quickly as possible, flicking my eyes into boxouts as soon as I could.

The "things you see are about to dissapear off the left edge and be lost" concept had become so rooted in my mind that I had started applying it to reading.

I get eye twitches sometimes, although I think that's more spending too much time on here than anything. Really, this place hasn't been too good for my eyesight. But it was fucked anyway, so I dunno how much effect it really has had.

And I get twitches and stuff in the little finger and ring finger of my right hand. It's very strange, whenever my hand is still, they get quite painful, as if I can feel the blood going through them. Again, I don't know if that's actually from holding a controller too much or what.

And I get motion sickness playing FPS now aswell, which I never used to. Metroid Prime is the main culprit, although playing SWAT has given me similar problems.