Advice on my blog

Hi guys, I've had a blog for a while, but a lack of comments has left me disappointed with it.

I've decided to get back into it for the new year, but could do with some advice on how to continue with it.

I have no internet skills, so would need something like wordpress to make it look half decent.

So anyway, what advice can you give me. Should I change the name? Should I change the structure of content, is there a way to link it to twitter, facebook and so on? Are the reviews too boring, is it too dry? Is it pointless when superior efforts like the Little Metal Dog show exist? Am I wasting my fucking time? Help will be greatly appreciated. I was putting new posts in the blog area of boardgame geek, but seemed to be getting no interest.

and here it is

http://gamingunplugged.wordpress.com/

• Upvote 1

OK, first up, The Little Metal Dog Show site is *not* superior. I wish I was a better writer - I plan to do three updates a week through 2012, but that's no measure of quality! Also, don't worry about comments - I get bugger all but there's still a good few hundred people visiting the site every day.

Personally, I'd love to see more stuff around your videos. I really enjoy them and would like to see a few more thoughts about the games you cover. Maybe some follow up opinions on games after a few more plays?

1) Never start a blog post "it's been a long time since..." because all that says to someone new to the site is "this site doesn't get updated very often, I wouldn't bother coming back".

2) A good way of avoiding doing that is to do posts more regularly...

3) Comments aren't a great indicator of anything. If someone enjoys something they've read all they can really write is "I enjoyed this and agree with it" which is pointless. I don't think I've ever commented on a blog.

4) That said, your videos do get a few comments...That suggests you're not doing enough to get video viewers to read the blog. When you're posting more, make sure people are linked to the site regularly. Do a video entirely about what you've had recently on the site, perhaps?

5) Starting a twitter account can't hurt. Use it for more than just "New video/blog posted" though.

6) I don't think you need to do much with the design really...Although the top banner does look a bit like a Unicorn has shat on it. Maybe find a slightly less unicorn-shat theme? Something that encourages people to browse a bit more (rather than simply scroll down) would be great I think - maybe something like http://theme.wordpress.com/themes/imbalance2/.

As a general tone of writing thing, it does feel a little bit defensive or dismissive, a little "Isn't board gaming geeky?" feeling ekes into it every now and again. It's hard to point out a specific quote, but there is just a bit of an atmosphere about it - the best I can find was "For some reason I have a load of figures, which I thought I’d show off here" but it's something to be careful about - it's not something that I ever think reading your posts on here so it's clearly a voice you're putting on specifically for the blog.

If you're finding it a chore, knock it on the head but there are thousands of worse blogs with many more readers - if you're enjoying it and start updating it regularly I think the readers (and comments) will pick up rapidly. When that happens you'll start to work out what works, where you should be taking it.

All IMHO. Obviously.

• Upvote 1

I tried that theme, but when I put it in preview there was a huge empty gap at the top of the page and none of the pictures were showing up. Also I can't work out how to add widgets to the side bar. It's confusing the fuck out of me.

Some of the newer themes may not work with widgets and need to have featured images set. They can be a bit fiddly. Let me know if you want me to have a look - happy to log in and do it, screenshotting what I do so you can see it.

I read a piece recently where IGN said their onsite videos got 500 views but the YouTube versions were getting 5 million. It's a case of having a central spot for ourself and then managing that content across multiple touch points. I'm looking at doing a tabletop blog this year - collaborative rather than individual - so will likely drop you and others on here a line soon ;)

Your videos are really good and get a decent amount of views so I'd make reference to your blog during those. Just something simple like "Don't forget to visit Gaming Unplugged for the latest thoughts and information on [board game]".

Get a simple watermark with your website url on it to show on the videos all the way through [do this instead of the YouTube hover over links as a lot of people view content on their mobiles/tablets and these don't always show up!]. Do this and in your video description link to your blog. You link to other websites so why not link to your own!

Your videos are really good and get a decent amount of views so I'd make reference to your blog during those. Just something simple like "Don't forget to visit Gaming Unplugged for the latest thoughts and information on [board game]".

Get a simple watermark with your website url on it to show on the videos all the way through [do this instead of the YouTube hover over links as a lot of people view content on their mobiles/tablets and these don't always show up!]. Do this and in your video description link to your blog. You link to other websites so why not link to your own!

How do I make a watermark?

Photoshop or something like that would do it then you insert the video as the video track or if you're using iMovie insert it as a watermark. You just make a new image project with the same dimensions as your video's full size and then put your logo on there or some text. I'll do one for you if you can give me the dimensions and what you want on it. :)