rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wasn’t it later said that Archer himself was supposed to be Future Guy? 

People would hate it, but I’m there with bells on for an Archer/Picard team-up.

You guys are making me think I should give Enterprise another shake. I can't recall how far in a got with S1, but it wasn't all that far.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

Only the finale. I don't think Enterprise deserves its bad reputation anyway, as even the first two seasons have their moments. I'd rather watch those than Discovery any day.

If it's on the show it counts. Seeing as they kept forcing that stupid chef in that we never saw I suspect Braga had that in mind from the start.

Ironically I hated it first time around, being set before Kirk and all, but watching it all back to back in the last few years I really come to appreciate it. I do wonder, had it not been cancelled we would have got a better ending to the temporal cold war and more on the formation of the Federation.

I will admit though that the last episode of Enterprise was about the worst attempt at fan service I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Ironically I hated it first time around, being set before Kirk and all, but watching it all back to back in the last few years I really come to appreciate it. I do wonder, had it not been cancelled we would have got a better ending to the temporal cold war and more on the formation of the Federation.

I will admit though that the last episode of Enterprise was about the worst attempt at fan service I have ever seen.

Nah. They realised the cold war was a bust and ditched it as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1

The cold war thing had an interesting twist with regards to the Suliban's benefactor from the future's identity, but it never happened during the series, probably due to time constraints and the cancellation of the show.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Humanoid_Figure

Obviously its redundant now, but its worth a quick read.

On 04/02/2020 at 15:28, Thor said:

You guys are making me think I should give Enterprise another shake. I can't recall how far in a got with S1, but it wasn't all that far.

According to Netflix I got as far as the end of Episode 4 of season one. Should I give this series another shot? 

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

According to Netflix I got as far as the end of Episode 4 of season one. Should I give this series another shot? 

It does get better and shows a lot of promise by the end of the show (before crashing and burning... just don't expect much of it.

Hmmm, not exactly selling it there, Lorf. :lol:

Let's put this into context. I'm big fan of Voyager. Lots of people aren't and rate it the lowest of the three TNG era series. However, even then, many still agree that Voyager has many standout episodes up there with the best Trek has to offer.

Does Enterprise ever reach those heights, even briefly?

It has its moments in the latter seasons. But it's a step down even from Voyager. But it's about 1000x better than Discovery. 

I'd skip to season 3 of Enterprise. Watch that and S4 and if you like it then dial back and catch up on S1 and 2.

Just now, McCoy said:

I'd skip to season 3 of Enterprise. Watch that and S4 and if you like it then dial back and catch up on S1 and 2.

That would be a right jumble, most of it wouldn't make any sense :wacko:

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

It has its moments in the latter seasons. But it's a step down even from Voyager. But it's about 1000x better than Discovery. 

image.thumb.png.5c0618a32d521cf7df1ee7637b0e92d7.png

• Upvote 1

With a few obvious exceptions TNG didn't get good until the third season, and its first is completely unwatchable. From what we were given of Enterprise it was on course to be great. Like many shows the actors take a while to find their character and for the writers to lean into it. Anyone who can enjoy most of Voyager can enjoy most of Enterprise.

I watched Enterprise in response to Discovery being so unspeakably awful. I reasoned it couldn't possibly be as bad as that. And I loved it! I think I needed the huge gap between Voyager ending and now -  and a reminder of how bad things could be - before I was able to properly appreciate it. I definitely recommend going in. It's worthwhile.

My original plan was to follow this episode guide and only watch the 3s and 4s:

http://www.letswatchstartrek.com/ent-episode-guide/

However I decided I'd watch the first ten or so regardless just to get to know the characters, and I quickly realised that even the "bad" episodes were pretty good so I might as well watch the whole thing. My decision was further vindicated when an episode this guy gives a 1 rating to, "Dear Doctor", turned out to be one of my favourites. I think that's a Marmite episode though!

Spoiler

I liked it by the end and sat through it (almost) every time.

• Empathy 1

Yeah I’m finding Enterprise absolutely fine. It’s at least paced like proper Star Trek and it’s massively better than Discovery. It doesn’t deserve its bad rep. 

Even the mighty DS9 had a terrible first season then another couple where it floundered around a bit before it hit its stride. If Enterprise had gone the full 7 years I reckon we’d all have had a very different opinion of it. 

55 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

That would be a right jumble, most of it wouldn't make any sense :wacko:

Nah. Maybe watch the season 2 finale but if you have a vague knowledge of the characters season 3 will be fine. 

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

I'd say watch s4 first, then season 3. Then consider one followed by two.

5 minutes ago, drmick said:

I'd say watch s4 first, then season 3. Then consider one followed by two.

Whut? ou should go and watch The Way to Eden.

I'd rate season 3 above season 4, but I'm long due a rewatch to reassess that.

I'd just watch it all though.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

If I remember right, the 4th episode may be that duff one where they beam down and there's no life on the planet, but Tucker is infected or something that makes him think there's some conspiracy going on with the Vulcans and T'Pol? No wonder you stopped there if thats the case, as I found that episode pretty shit.

Had a quick look, and I was right, it was episode 4 - https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Strange_New_World_(episode)

Dont let that put you off, it does get better.