rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

I was referring to the invention her great grandmother gives to the humans.

I've seen pics of S3. Were they that desperate for viewers they had to go for trashy sex appeal? :(

Overall I really enjoyed S1 of Enterprise, and T'Pol was one of the highlights because Blalok's really good as a Vulcan. The at first adversarial relationship with Archer was really well done, and developed nicely throughout the series.

The first few epsidoes are duffers, and that fourth one I stopped at a while back is up there with the worst Star Trek has to offer. Bakula also appeared to make the same mistake Stewart did in his earliest episodes: Try too hard to be "El Capitan", and just came off as a colossal prick. I recall watching the pilot of TNG for the first time having already watched loads of the series in my youth, and thinking that's not Picard, who the fuck is this arsehole? But just like Picard, Archer noticably softened throughout the series, while keeping that steel in reserve when needed. 

Looking forward to the rest now. :)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I've seen pics of S3. Were they that desperate for viewers they had to go for trashy sex appeal? :(

Obviously that’s the real reason, but it’s genuinely related to personal character development and the overall arc of the series. I wasn’t being facetious.

And this is pre 60’s Trek. They have to toe that line!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Which is the one with Archer cutting logs?

I think I may be on this episode. He's going to have to chop the tree that Porthos pissed on, isn't he? 

Edit - and this just got creepy... 

Edit 2 - Yep, he's chopping the tree into bits. That was a duff episode, but I couldn't help but find some of it amusing. 

• Upvote 2

I'm quite jealous of Thor now. I feel like I should emulate him by going through, say, the early seasons of DS9 or the Ferengi comedy episodes that I skipped but it wouldn't be the same. :(

• Upvote 1

I also have the original '60s show unwatched ... might be a step too far for me.

• Upvote 1

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen the 60s show in its entirely. There was one summer when channel 4 (?) would show it back to back with 60s Batman at around 11am and it was the perfect way to wake up after a lie in and piss away the holidays. But a lot of it is a tough watch.

• Upvote 1

I spent this week watching the motion pictures from 1 to 6... wondering if I can bear to do the TNG films as well. I hadn't seen many of the 1-6 films since childhood -- Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country were the 'good' ones I've owned on DVD, but the rest haven't been watched since 'taped-off-the telly' VHS.

I already told the "80s films" thread that I liked Star Trek V: The Final Frontier a little better than Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. I got negged! Don't get me wrong, Shatner's Final Frontier is an absolute mess, but at least it's an interesting mess. The Voyage Home was unexpectedly boring and less funny than I remembered, aside from some great back-and-forth moments with Kirk and Spock.

Also, watch the vintage press conference on the special features for Star Trek V. All the cast appear in their costumes in front of journalists, and Shatner introduces each of them by actor name and character name. He gets to Walter Koenig and says, "And here's... uhh... the gentleman who plays Chekov." Koenig goes, "Yes, hi, Walter Koenig," like "You fucking asshole."

• Upvote 1

I'm halfway through Insurrection and it's terribly dull. I don't really care about the fate of the Space Amish and I'm not sure how much more Horny Picard I can take. (Horny Riker, meanwhile, is making me positively nauseous). May not make it to the end of this one.

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

I spent this week watching the motion pictures from 1 to 6... wondering if I can bear to do the TNG films as well. I hadn't seen many of the 1-6 films since childhood -- Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country were the 'good' ones I've owned on DVD, but the rest haven't been watched since 'taped-off-the telly' VHS.

I already told the "80s films" thread that I liked Star Trek V: The Final Frontier a little better than Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. I got negged! Don't get me wrong, Shatner's Final Frontier is an absolute mess, but at least it's an interesting mess. The Voyage Home was unexpectedly boring and less funny than I remembered, aside from some great back-and-forth moments with Kirk and Spock.

Also, watch the vintage press conference on the special features for Star Trek V. All the cast appear in their costumes in front of journalists, and Shatner introduces each of them by actor name and character name. He gets to Walter Koenig and says, "And here's... uhh... the gentleman who plays Chekov." Koenig goes, "Yes, hi, Walter Koenig," like "You fucking asshole."

I'm in the process of rewatching all the films. Up to V so far. Personally I think the even numbered 'rule' is horseshit. Search for Spock is my favourite so far, and Voyage Home was terrible. It was like a bad parody of Star Trek. Perhaps it's just aged badly but its only joke seemed to be 'characters from the future say things that wouldn't be said in the 80s'. Final Frontier was a real mess as you say, but at least it was set in space and had a bit of threat in the plot.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I also have the original '60s show unwatched ... might be a step too far for me.

If you like later Trek it’s genuinely worth a look at 60s Trek for curiosity value if you do a ‘greatest hits’ tour,’ but I wouldn’t recommend a full watch-through. Random example, Errand of Mercy is worth seeing for how the Klingons made their entrance, and not how fans of TNG and later Trek would recognise them (no, I don’t mean the visual differences).

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I started watching season 1. They're not as bad as I thought they'd be, though the first season doesnt have the infamous "Spocks Brain" episode :lol:

Hmm, an episode of Star Wars references... and Trip's in his pants again. 

Bad actress is fucking really bad. :lol:

I've just started watching Enterprise for the first time. Lord help me.

Is there a good watch and skip episode guide?

Honestly, grit your teeth through the first four, quality improves a fair bit after that. At least it did for me. 

• Upvote 1

Yessss, watch it all, make me doubly jealous. Even the bad episodes are better than anything Discovery can offer.

Well I watched three episodes and it's already better than Discovery.

• Upvote 2

I'm just about to finish watching Voyager series 1 and I always thought I'd seen much more of it than it seems I have. There's lots of episodes that I could have sworn show up in later series' so with any luck I gave up on it way before I thought I did and there's a whole load of episodes I've not seen :omg:

I still really don't understand neelix as a character though, morale officer / cook is just odd. I get that he's a little bit of the tour guide/ audience surrogate as well as a touch of ship's counsellor and partly a bit of outside of Starfleet Quark style light relief but it just doesn't really work. I just saw the episode with his "TV show" which then results in him being a journalist and it just didn't really work with that character doing those things. 

I can't really blame the actor either, the whole character is really out of place somehow. 

They should have binned him off after season 1 and spent more time with the Doctor as a side character. Much more to develop for him though it was getting a bit silly having so many characters pulling a Data, trying to be like a human all the time. Could have done so much more. Phlox was a better attempt at the same character in Enterprise.

I think Ronald D. Moore joined part way through after TNG finished and was trying to get some proper stories going again but Braga shut him down. We got a good crack at a Klingon show (for Voyager) and then he left. such a waste.

I was getting Neelix vibes from the doctor in Enterprise. And I really don't want to get Neelix vibes.

I finally finished Enterprise this week. Really enjoyed it, never saw season 3 and 4 originally which is where it does it's best work. Except maybe that ending :blink2: