The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

On 30/01/2021 at 11:15, Mogster said:

I loved Voyager at the time, although it did drag on a bit. I think it gets some criticism for just being more TNG in a new part of the galaxy when it could have been BSG before BSG, but it's far from a bad show for what it is.

Thing I loved about Voyager was that the premise was almost exactly what I thought the premise of TOS was when I was a kid.

I'd been told, or read, or hallucinated, that the Enterprise in TOS was trying to get home the whole time, then many years later, Voyager was just that.

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Endgame just needed an extra 10 minutes or so after reaching earth. It just ends so... suddenly. 

I know we had the future bit but you want to see this crew fly under the Golden Gate Bridge and then land and for Paris and his father to meet in person. 

Then, a simply 1 year down the line conclusion would have been nice - where did they all end up, what happened to the ship Voyager just to tidy up some character narratives would have been appreciated. 

Aye, that's exactly what was needed. Shame they didn't.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Aye, that's exactly what was needed. Shame they didn't.

Indeed. Unlike TNG you don't get the feeling this crew will stay together once they reach Earth. Just have been an interesting conclusion to the journey to see what happened to everyone. 

On 02/02/2021 at 01:41, GwiDan said:

There's a 1% that isn't?

DS9 - Millennium 

Millennium: Fall of Terok Nor/War of the Prophets/Inferno (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B0X0S26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_34QT4QB82C1TAVPJ2RY1

edited to change link as the original I posted basically told the story :lol: 

Anyway I’m a fan of the first book in particular, the thing that I adore about these books is that it really feels true to DS9 and I could hear the actors in my head :wub:

Here's a thought: It's now twenty years ago that we heard the first rumblings about a new post-Voyager series being a prequel series set centuries before the other Treks. I remember my imagination running wild with the possibilities, particularly with information leaking out that there would be a more low-tech, grittier Trek where even routine space travel was much more hazardous.

Then July that year:

Spoiler

enterprise1.jpg.78e0ae35a0635b8a8a221cc9ed29845a.jpg

The first image of the new titular starship emerged. A sure sign that what we were getting was going to be the least imagination, most derivative Trek ever, nearly all recycled content in different packaging. :( 

15 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:
Spoiler

The first image of the new titular starship emerged. A sure sign that what we were getting was going to be the least imagination, most derivative Trek ever, nearly all recycled content in different packaging. :( 

And yet, it turned out great! Phew!

18 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Here's a thought: It's now twenty years ago that we heard the first rumblings about a new post-Voyager series being a prequel series set centuries before the other Treks. I remember my imagination running wild with the possibilities, particularly with information leaking out that there would be a more low-tech, grittier Trek where even routine space travel was much more hazardous.

Then July that year:

Hide contents

enterprise1.jpg.78e0ae35a0635b8a8a221cc9ed29845a.jpg

Why is that in spoiler tags?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the section 31 series really gets to explore some of the more unhinged ideas that we only briefly see in trek. After re-reading some Iain M Banks i've always thought star trek was too hands off when it came to combat, invaders frequently running round ships like someone legging it around a london underground station.

things like the ds9 episode civil defense when the a cardassian security program kicks in, those disruptors that came out of the replicators in ops, why doesn't every starfleet ship have those? Voyager when the kazon sort of got a transporter working and just beamed people into space, or Andromeda when one of the ship AI's talked about squashing invaders by upping the gravity to ridiculous levels.

Also ship to ship combat, Discovery finally got the idea of drones in there, but what about encountering a species with such alien physiology that inertia has never been a factor for them so their ships are ridiculously maneuverable. And why has nobody thought of using a warp field and a big slug of metal to make a railgun?

I'd kinda like to see a ship brimming with lethal tech with people onboard who dont give a shit getting into scrapes. 

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Thats a mean url, it should be /actor-willing-to-reprise-role-but-no-one-has-any-plans-to-do-so-so-dont-get-your-hopes-up/

/actor-states-he-would-like-to-work-again/

https://deadline.com/2021/03/star-trek-movie-kalinda-vazquez-jj-abrams-paramount-1234706899/

Paramount have hired a writer, Kalinda Vazquez, to write a new movie. She previously worked on Marvel’s Runaways, Once Upon a Time, Nikita, Human Target and Prison Break. Oh, and Discovery. Apparently supposed to be an original story without any of the crew from any shows in either universe.