The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

There's a DS9 documentary?  That's my weekend sorted!

It's still my overall favorite.  I still admire the way it forged a unique identity in the established worlds of Kirk and Picard, had some fantastic stories (the epic Dominion war stuff was catnip to my adolescent self) and kept the lovely Colm Meany in work for years.

6 hours ago, Benny said:

Michael Dorn's performance has grown so much on me on re-watches of DS9. There a moment when he walks into Quark's bar and it's announced that Keiko is having another baby. And he goes "NOW?!" with an inflection that is just utterly perfect. Then on the subsequent discussion that it's coming in 7 months, even with the low quality video you can see the calculation happening on Worf's face, as he determines how he's going to be "busy" when the time comes, even before he says as much. Especially after what happened last time on the Enterprise. It's great.

I think Michael Dorn really missed out on doing some straight man comedy, he's got dead pan down like Leslie Nielsen. 

Some of his delivery and looks are just absolutely perfect in terms of dry dead pan comedy even though it's otherwise serious. 

On 14/07/2021 at 15:54, b00dles said:

I think Michael Dorn really missed out on doing some straight man comedy, he's got dead pan down like Leslie Nielsen. 

Some of his delivery and looks are just absolutely perfect in terms of dry dead pan comedy even though it's otherwise serious. 

I happened to listen to the latest Gates McFadden podcast where she’s talking to him, and yes, he’s really funny. 
I didn’t know he was a really experienced pilot with his own F86 Vietnam era jet fighter!

Well worth a listen. 

Forgot what an annoying shit Vic Fontaine was!!!!

I am on a real DS9 nostalgia binge at the moment having recently watched 'What We Left Behind',  which has massively reignited my passion for my favourite show as a teenagaer.  As I said a few posts back especially having seen the remastered footage on the doc, I just wish to fuck they would get around to properly fixing it. 

I know it's only a matter of time before they eventually do, but I want it now.

I'd like them to remaster Voyager too, as it's the only one I've never actually watched - every time I think of starting it, I always manage to persuade myself that it'll get redone eventually so there's no point watching it now.

I wonder what the viewing figures are for these shows on Netflix, I bet they still pick up plenty of viewers (and I also bet Voyager is more popular than DS9). Surely, surely there's an appetite somehwere to bring these into the modern era.

I mean look at these petaQ's:

220px-TomParis.jpg

A face so effortlessly punchable it's a mercy it was fired to the other side of the galaxy. Spoiled son of an admiral yet still lacking any class.

220px-Garrett_Wang_as_Harry_Kim.jpg

If the colour beige was sentient (we're using the word sentient here loosely), it might look a bit like this. The ultimate example in Starfleet of someone who's been promoted to their exact level of incompetence.

220px-Chakotay.jpg

Perhaps the most spectacular example of having character development happen in reverse. Actually becomes less interesting over time.

Janeway_Season7.jpg

Don't let the steely demeanour and decisiveness fool you into thinking that means competence, this is a Captain that would happily summarily execute you for... reasons. And expect you to go along with it quietly because fuck you that's why. And will bog off to Fantasy Ireland afterwards for a celebratory pint

220px-KesProfileImage.jpg

Kind of like a reverse Deanna Troi, and actually less interesting than that sounds.

220px-SevenofNine.jpg

I'm actually a decent character under this absurd costume, but wait! I must have yet another scene where I have some sort of cutesy misunderstanding about human mating rituals with Harry Kim again. Ruined by sheer association.

Tuvok.jpg

Boring even for a Vulkan.

BelannaTorres.jpg

Involved in many truly brilliant scenes of subtle character conflict, where the sheer range of complex emotions can run the gamut of angry annoyance to full blown rage annoyance.

Neelix_(Star_Trek_Voyager).jpg

Gagh in gagh form.

Spoiler

The Doctor is alright. Bit creepy around vulnerable ex-borg tho.

I don't think Voyager is as bad as people make out. i mean, it's not great but it's not completely awful.
I always enjoyed watching Janeway and Tuvok - they may not be great characters but I thought the actors did a good job in both cases.

The worst thing about Voyager was when they built the Delta Flyer (a crap name), a craft which used Flash Gordon inspired controls and instruments, meaning anyone at the helm had to learn a completely different control system to what Starfleet installed in all their other ships.

I don't know if it's Avery Brook's acting having grown on me, or just my frame of mind lately, but for some reason watching "The Ship" this time the ending discussion and then the bit with Worf and O'Brien was a real emotional gut punch on this rewatch. It's genuinely affecting TV for something so simple. Maybe that's it: subtle but effective, thus really believable character drama.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

A face so effortlessly punchable it's a mercy it was fired to the other side of the galaxy. Spoiled son of an admiral yet still lacking any class.

that describes him perfectly. It’s not an insult.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

I don't know if it's Avery Brook's acting having grown on me, or just my frame of mind lately, but for some reason watching "The Ship" this time the ending discussion and then the bit with Worf and O'Brien was a real emotional gut punch on this rewatch. It's genuinely affecting TV for something so simple. Maybe that's it: subtle but effective, thus really believable character drama.

Hard to believe that just across the road in the studio lot, Voyager was being written and filmed at the same time.  You'd expect the good writers from DS9 to wander over there after it finished but no, we ended up with all gubbins.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Hard to believe that just across the road in the studio lot, Voyager was being written and filmed at the same time.  You'd expect the good writers from DS9 to wander over there after it finished but no, we ended up with all gubbins.

Ronald D. Moore did move from DS9 to Voyager but didn't have a good time and left very quickly. A little bit about it here.

https://trekmovie.com/2008/06/21/exclusive-interview-ron-moore-fighting-the-trek-cliches/

I'm definitely settled now on this: season 5 of Deep Space 9 is the best series. Maybe even in the running for the best series of Star Trek itself.

I think we can all agree though Paris was a really great pilot, especially all those times when they talked about what a great pilot he is.

To be fair, the only time we got to witness Riker, Star Trek's other "greatest pilot", doing anything piloty was when he used a Thrustmaster to move in a slow turn for a few seconds. Unless you count the time he commanded O'Brien to pilot the two halves of the Enterprise back together again?

1 hour ago, revlob said:

To be fair, the only time we got to witness Riker, Star Trek's other "greatest pilot", doing anything piloty was when he used a Thrustmaster to move in a slow turn for a few seconds. Unless you count the time he commanded O'Brien to pilot the two halves of the Enterprise back together again?

Someone had to grovel to him to do his job in Chain of Command too.

23 minutes ago, deKay said:

To be fair, that was Data piloting :)

Acting under Troi's orders. We know who's to blame there.

In other news I saw this headline on the BBC website and got pretty concerned. Last time they got pissed off they joined the dominion.

IMG_20210719_231016.jpg