IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

5 hours ago, Benny said:

It's low tier of the low tier Trek. To be honest out of all of Star Trek, Enterprise is probably the only one I wouldn't do another series rewatch of again.

It felt to be a stale retread even back in 2001/2, with some awful juvenile gimmicks and totally miscast lead character.

Totally squandered the series’ core concept as a prequel as well. Really could’ve torn up the Trek rule book and given us a fresh and imaginative series, but no, we just got slight rewrites of TNG, Voyager and (less frequently) DS9 episodes with crappier main characters. 

The Space 9/11 storyline, pivoting the series to War on Terror Trek, was utterly tasteless as well.

Then again, it’s still a far better series than Discovery or Picard, and I agree with the opinion that it was cancelled just as it was starting to improve and develop its own identity.

3 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It felt to be a stale retread even back in 2001/2, with some awful juvenile gimmicks and totally miscast lead character.

Totally squandered the series’ core concept as a prequel as well. Really could’ve torn up the Trek rule book and given us a fresh and imaginative series, but no, we just got slight rewrites of TNG, Voyager and (less frequently) DS9 episodes with crappier main characters. 

The Space 9/11 storyline, pivoting the series to War on Terror Trek, was utterly tasteless as well.

Then again, it’s still a far better series than Discovery or Picard, and I agree with the opinion that it was cancelled just as it was starting to improve and develop its own identity.

It’s an odd one Enterprise.  Pretty much everyone I knew was quite enthused about Bakula being cast.

13 hours ago, davidcotton said:

It’s an odd one Enterprise.  Pretty much everyone I knew was quite enthused about Bakula being cast.

It wasn't entirely his fault, the writers could never decide whether he was supposed to be "naive new captain doing his best", "ignorant space racist" or "grizzled captain making hard decisions", and the scripts flip-flopped between those three almost every episode.

It's one of the reasons why season 3 is the best, because they settle on the third option and mostly stick with it. That just leaves the rest of the cast as undeveloped two-dimensional ciphers, I guess Trip and T'Pol eventually do OK but poor old Mayweather...

10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

That just leaves the rest of the cast as undeveloped two-dimensional ciphers, I guess Trip and T'Pol eventually do OK but poor old Mayweather...

I had always assumed that the helmsman on Galaxy Quest was based on Mayweather, until I checked and found that GQ predated Enterprise.  

Which shockingly must mean that Mayweather was inspired by a parody character in Galaxy Quest!!!

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

https://www.gog.com/partner/startrek

Not sure where else to put this for. GOG have put a load of old Star Trek games up - Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command III, Hidden Evil and Away Team all for £8.39 each. Both Armada and Armada II are listed as coming soon as well.

Some really gems in there

I've never played a Star Trek game. What's the best?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Festoon said:

The Trek I like isn't sassy quips and meta-references. I've no problem with it existing but it's not for me.

Simple as that.

There's nothing out there for a Trek fan who liked TNG or DS9.

Hopefully Strange New Worlds will scratch that itch. 

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

The Trek I like isn't sassy quips and meta-references. I've no problem with it existing but it's not for me.

Simple as that.

There's nothing out there for a Trek fan who liked TNG or DS9.

Without sounding like a broken record, The Orville. 

Incidentally the latest Pilot TV podcast has Sophie Petzal (writer of the series Blood) obstensibly to talk about her new show, but she basically spends over an hour talking about Star Trek and she really manages to nail what feels off about the modern series. i.e. they're written as YA, as opposed to for adults. 

She also has good points about the clumsy setting of present day issues as contemporaneous with the future - which is dumb and assumes the audience is dumb, and some good stuff on a supposedly ranked organisation where everyobe does whatever the fuck they want at all times.

Only just read the ‘lit verse’ - basically 20 years of post show books with its own continuity etc I’d coming to an end. 

Writing on the wall I suppose when Picard made ‘on screen canon’ the post series universe. 

It’s getting a final trilogy to close off rather than just being canned like the Star Wars EU

49 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Only just read the ‘lit verse’ - basically 20 years of post show books with its own continuity etc I’d coming to an end. 

Writing on the wall I suppose when Picard made ‘on screen canon’ the post series universe. 

It’s getting a final trilogy to close off rather than just being canned like the Star Wars EU

Part 1 out now and it’s ok.

Which begs the question why you're watching it then. Unless you haven't actually watched it of course, and thus would have no idea of the context or beat of a joke in something you hadn't actually seen.

I can criticise a lot about Lower Decks, but I will stand behind all of it so far above anything like Discovery or Picard, as it actually has half decent writers.

And I've actually watched them.

People sometimes forget things like Deep Space 9 were actually often full of quips and references to earlier Trek, just at that slower more 90s pace. But as it wasn't a comedy in genre it was in-universe jokes or situational comedy rather than meta humour.

Trials and Tribble-ations was one long and brilliant in-joke.