IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

I'm a Star Trek fan and I like it. It's not must see TV or anything, but I look forward to it every week. The "shit jokes and HEY, 'MEMBER THIS?" stuff can be quite clever at times, poking fun at some of the more absurd bits of Trek canon and not usually going for simple references, but even then there's clearly more to the show than jokes. It has actual, likeable characters with proper development, and, shock horror, proper Star Trek stories.

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm a Star Trek fan and I like it. It's not must see TV or anything, but I look forward to it every week. The "shit jokes and HEY, 'MEMBER THIS?" stuff can be quite clever at times, poking fun at some of the more absurd bits of Trek canon and not usually going for simple references, but even then there's clearly more to the show than jokes. It has actual, likeable characters with proper development, and, shock horror, proper Star Trek stories.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Sadly I thought all the characters were really irritating, didn't warm to any of them. The writers have clearly done their trek research but it feels like an easy parody rather than Trek to me. There's the bare bones of something decent there but I can't get past the fact it constantly drags up past glories rather than creating anything new and exciting. Sure all 'proper' trek had those 'member berries slung in every now and then but in lower decks they're so on the nose. It's a no from me.

I can very much understand why someone would hate it - it's a very specific brand of humour and occasionally the memberberries have threatened to reach warp core breaching critical mass, but I'm happy at least that the writers do understand classic Star Trek unlike any of the people involved in Discovery. It's definitely an acquired taste though, as some episodes haven't raised much more than a chuckle at times. So it's not beyond criticism at all. Well, for those who have watched it...

Watching TNG on Netflix. It’s been so long since I’ve seen it I’ve forgotten a lot. It’s quite funny seeing stuff I’m now familiar with thanks to Lower Decks appearing. Borg babies in drawers! Pakleds! 

Speaking of Pakleds, how did a civilisation so dumb achieve interstellar flight?!? Or as Data literally just said after I’d hit post “How they ever mastered the rudiments of space travel is a genuine curiosity” :lol:

On 11/10/2021 at 10:18, Doctor Shark said:

Speaking of Pakleds, how did a civilisation so dumb achieve interstellar flight?!? Or as Data literally just said after I’d hit post “How they ever mastered the rudiments of space travel is a genuine curiosity” :lol:

Watched that episode last night. Don’t think I’ve seen it since it was shown on BBC2. Some observations:

1.) The script was so obviously written with Dr Crusher in mind, and barely altered for the change in circumstances of TNG season 2. 
2.) The actor of Starscream from Transformers was one of the Pakleds!

3.) Counsellor Troi is one of the worst Trek main characters. So irritating, and seem to do nothing but state the obvious.

4.) Wesley wasn’t that dislikable in this one. The awkward scenes with Captain Picard add credibility to fan theory that he’s Picard’s secret lovechild.

5.) The incident we later see in Tapestry is recalled by Captain Picard!

6.) I really liked the scene where Captain Picard tells Wesley that being in Starfleet isn’t just about all the science, and to learn to enjoy the arts and humanities. Rewatching TNG as an adult, I’ve picked up how it emphasises the characters having a rich life full of hobbies and interests beyond being space explorers. It’s a good message to the audience of all ages, always try to diversify your interests  – ironically something the more obsessive Trek fans seem to have always been oblivious to.

5 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Watched that episode last night. Don’t think I’ve seen it since it was shown on BBC2. Some observations:

1.) The script was so obviously written with Dr Crusher in mind, and barely altered for the change in circumstances of TNG season 2. 
2.) The actor of Starscream from Transformers was one of the Pakleds!

3.) Counsellor Troi is one of the worst Trek main characters. So irritating, and seem to do nothing but state the obvious.

4.) Wesley wasn’t that dislikable in this one. The awkward scenes with Captain Picard add credibility to fan theory that he’s Picard’s secret lovechild.

5.) The incident we later see in Tapestry is recalled by Captain Picard!

6.) I really liked the scene where Captain Picard tells Wesley that being in Starfleet isn’t just about all the science, and to learn to enjoy the arts and humanities. Rewatching TNG as an adult, I’ve picked up how it emphasises the characters having a rich life full of hobbies and interests beyond being space explorers. It’s a good message to the audience of all ages, always try to diversify your interests  – ironically something the more obsessive Trek fans seem to have always been oblivious to.

Agree about Troi, she’s worse than useless. Her power is a get out of jail free card for so many encounters, or as you say results in her just stating the bloody obvious. 

Wesley is such a Deus Ex Machina, I can’t stand him, either. Everyone else is awesome, though. 

Watched an episode last night where her story was “she can hear a music box constantly in her mind, it’s sending her mad!’ and that was it. Rubbish! 

Halfway through series 4 of TNG. You know, apart from some dodgy fashion and hairstyle choices, and if you can ignore the HD showing how cheap some of the sets are and how ropey some of the makeup is, it’s still so, so good. I was a bit worried about watching it again, thinking it would have aged poorly, but no. Brilliant as ever. 

12 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Halfway through series 4 of TNG. You know, apart from some dodgy fashion and hairstyle choices, and if you can ignore the HD showing how cheap some of the sets are and how ropey some of the makeup is, it’s still so, so good. I was a bit worried about watching it again, thinking it would have aged poorly, but no. Brilliant as ever. 

It really is still a great show, even considering how production values have moved on. Season 3 is an all-timer of a season in television terms - the hit rate of great eps is extraordinary. 4 and 5 are only just off that and still brilliant. 6 has a pretty dodgy first half but some really banging episodes in the second half. 7 isn't as bad as its reputation - definitely well below the previous four but still has four absolute classics in it. Even season 1 is an interesting curio! Actually, 2 is pretty disappointing in the main. Some good and weird stuff, but not 'enough' better than the first season.

As I've said in the Discovery thread, imagine TNG made now with Disco's budget, today's production values and the same writing staff as before, writing the same eps. It would be the greatest thing ever seen. Imagine what Best of Both Worlds and Yesterday's Enterprise would be like! Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

18 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Season 3 is an all-timer of a season in television terms - the hit rate of great eps is extraordinary. 4 and 5 are only just off that and still brilliant. 6 has a pretty dodgy first half but some really banging episodes in the second half. 7 isn't as bad as its reputation - definitely well below the previous four but still has four absolute classics in it. Even season 1 is an interesting curio! Actually, 2 is pretty disappointing in the main. Some good and weird stuff, but not 'enough' better than the first season.

I've been slowly working my way through TNG, and currently up to the end of S4. 

The jump in quality for S3 is truly massive. Once it starts, it's pretty much hit after hit... all the way through both S3 & S4. 

S1 is an outliner. It looks different with literally everything being on set, and is a fairly dull "reboot" of TOS in tone, I feel. It's fine, but consistantly quite boring. 

S2 is probably worse, with some absolute howlers, like that first episode with Troi's Alien-baby. But then, it's got some absolutely incredible episodes like - of course - Measure of a Man. Time Squared is great too. But loads are absolute dump. 

...although! Polaski > Crusher. 

On 12/10/2021 at 20:54, Protocol Penguin said:

...or need some chocolate. 

Oh! Loads of you probs already know about this, but I absolutely love 'The Greatest Generation' podcast ('A Star Trek podcast by two guys who are a little bit embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast'). It's very funny - intentionally so, luckily.

The Greatest Generation is a comedy podcast about Star Trek, beloved by everyone from people who’ve never seen an episode to hardcore nerds who are fluent in Klingon.

Once a week Benjamin Ahr Harrison and Adam Pranica watch an episode of Star Trek and tell you what’s great, what’s bad, and what’s hilarious about the show they grew up loving, and still do. It’s a little bit nerdy, a lot filthy, and exposes some of Adam and Ben’s most embarrassing stories from their dorky childhoods.

It's funny out of the gate, but once it gets into its stride it's absolutely hilarious. So many in-jokes and taking the piss out of all things Trek. It's a thoroughly recommended listen - definitely start from the start! They're going through every episode of every show since TNG, beginning with Encounter At Farpoint. I discovered the show a year ago and have just got to season 1 of DS9. The running gags (Kevin Uxbridge and his real dollsh bishnish, for example) are amazing. The project started from nothing and now has tens of thousands of listeners each week, it's a great story.

https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/greatest-generation/

• 2 weeks later...

I’m getting to the last few of Series 3 of Enterprise. Possibly only the second time I’ve rewatched it since it originally aired and it’s getting *really* good. 
It’s confirmed my recollection that S1 was decent, S2 pretty ropey and then improved hugely for the last two years. 

Way better than Discovery. 

Up to S5 of TNG. 

Oh look, Famke Jansen has just turned up in an episode. She's even playing a mutant! Isn't that funny, Charles Xavier and Jean Grey together before X-Men came out, I didn't know that.

Wow, she's getting pretty forward with Picard, she...

OH JESUS, JEAN'S TRYING IT ON WITH CHARLES! MY EYES! I CAN'T UNSEE! I'LL NEVER WATCH X-MEN AGAIN!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2021 at 18:32, Vespa Alex said:

I’m getting to the last few of Series 3 of Enterprise. Possibly only the second time I’ve rewatched it since it originally aired and it’s getting *really* good. 
It’s confirmed my recollection that S1 was decent, S2 pretty ropey and then improved hugely for the last two years. 

Way better than Discovery. 

And that’s it’s done. The full story arc in S3 was a big change for Trek, and then doing a bunch of 2-4 episode plots in the final year worked well too.

I’m still not sure about “These are the voyages” though. It seems a little disrespectful to Enterprise to assume that what we really wanted as a conclusion was a TNG based clip show, or to cut away from Archer’s speech. Still, some of the interactions between Riker and the cast were great, and the ending voiceover worked. 

Now… TNG or TOS?

5 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

Everyone thought it was disrespectful but it was clearly an act of desperation as cancellation loomed.

I would go TOS next.  

Yep, I think there will be more TOS that I have no recollection of, though I may need to skip Spock’s Brain. 

7 hours ago, AstroBot said:

I’ve watched a few recently and they really hold up.  I’d forgotten to the plots for the most part which helped. However rewatching some TNG has been painful at times.

Slight tangent, but every time I try and rewatch bits of TNG on Netflix, I find I don’t get on with much of it; it’s too often cringeworthy or dull. :( When watching with my girlfriend, who lacks the nostalgic connection to TNG that I have, she finds it excruciating – and as I’ve mentioned here before, she likes DS9 and it became one of her favourite television series when I showed it to her. (Belatedly, as she resisted watching DS9 for a while because of the cheesy series name, and having not enjoyed the half-dozen episodes of TNG I’d shown her beforehand.)

On season 7 of TNG and it feels like it’s running out of steam. Geordie just donned a lawnmower man suit to try and save his “mom” from the surface of a planet only it turned out it was some fire creature and his mom is MIA. The previous episode had three alien diplomats, one who wanted to eat chocolate, one who liked getting beat up by worf and one who pretended to be a woman to get it on with Picard. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

On season 7 of TNG and it feels like it’s running out of steam. Geordie just donned a lawnmower man suit to try and save his “mom” from the surface of a planet only it turned out it was some fire creature and his mom is MIA. The previous episode had three alien diplomats, one who wanted to eat chocolate, one who liked getting beat up by worf and one who pretended to be a woman to get it on with Picard. 

Yeah end of S6 is most definitely the jumping off point. iirc the good writers all moved over to DS9.