IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

8 hours ago, Nicky said:

Yeah end of S6 is most definitely the jumping off point. iirc the good writers all moved over to DS9. 

After TNG ended. Early DS9 had basically nobody from the TNG writers’ room. Ira Steven Behr, eventual show runner, had only had one year on TNG (season 3) and they had writers who had left TNG very early on, or from the pool of freelancers who’d contributed episodes in the past, as well as some new blood.

What people think of as peak DS9 only began after TNG ended, when the likes of Ron Moore moved over and a core writing team emerged that would remain mostly untouched until the end of the series. Sorry, I know way too much about this crap. 😄

10 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

On season 7 of TNG and it feels like it’s running out of steam. Geordie just donned a lawnmower man suit to try and save his “mom” from the surface of a planet only it turned out it was some fire creature and his mom is MIA. The previous episode had three alien diplomats, one who wanted to eat chocolate, one who liked getting beat up by worf and one who pretended to be a woman to get it on with Picard. 

Ronald D.Moore made a comment on this episode that when he saw it at the time he knew the show had to end.

I think I’ve recommended it in this thread before, but this is a spectacular book for fans of TNG in particular: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Mission-Years-Generation-Abrams/dp/1250089468

So much amazing detail about the making of the show and what it was like in the trenches of the writers’ room. Then it goes on to the same for DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, but TNG is the biggest and best section.

For fans of DS9, I’d recommend the Deep Space 9 Companion book. That’s an absolute treasure trove - not sure if it’s still in print, but it’s a searingly honest account of the making of every single episode.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I think I’ve recommended it in this thread before, but this is a spectacular book for fans of TNG in particular: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Mission-Years-Generation-Abrams/dp/1250089468

So much amazing detail about the making of the show and what it was like in the trenches of the writers’ room. Then it goes on to the same for DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, but TNG is the biggest and best section.

For fans of DS9, I’d recommend the Deep Space 9 Companion book. That’s an absolute treasure trove - not sure if it’s still in print, but it’s a searingly honest account of the making of every single episode.

Yes, the Companion is a great book. Not easy to get hold of nowadays. It really needs a reprint and really deserves a nice hardback edition. With a bit more production budget behind it it would have been a lovely coffee table book. 

Sub Rosa, in which Dr Crusher finds out her recently deceased nan was a kinky lass who was banging a ghost, and then ol' Bev goes in for some ectoplasmic seconds. 

I'd seen this episode before but for some reason my mind had thought it was so terrible it must have been in season 1. Surely?

Nope. Last season. This is one of the episodes they chose to ride out on.

Fucking christ.

I saw Sub Rosa for the first time last year, and it is terrible, but it's also amazing. It's accidentally the funniest episode of the show, and it's genuinely great fun for all the wrong reasons.

I LOVE YOU BEVERLY! :D

It also gets bonus points for the borderline offensive comedy space Scotsman.

If you could show a total Trek virgin just one episode across any of the series,  in order to explain why it is worth their time becoming a Trekkie which would it be?

I have just enjoyed my annual rewatch of ‘Yesterday’s Enterprise’ and I think I would have to go with that, although the DS9 episode ‘Necessary Evil’ is right up there for me too.

8 hours ago, Waggo said:

If you could show a total Trek virgin just one episode across any of the series,  in order to explain why it is worth their time becoming a Trekkie which would it be?

I have just enjoyed my annual rewatch of ‘Yesterday’s Enterprise’ and I think I would have to go with that, although the DS9 episode ‘Necessary Evil’ is right up there for me too.

It' so hard to pick as there's so much stuff that relies on knowledge of past shows but the one that really stands out would DS9's Series 4 The Visitor. Mainly because it tells a story with a lot of emotion between a father and son.

8 hours ago, Waggo said:

Problem with showing a newbie yesterday’s enterprise is they wouldn’t know the context.  Bunch of people they don’t know suddenly acting differently etc. 

I would go with any season 3 onward Q episode or Best of Both Worlds part 1. 

It's a common answer but The Inner Light is what I'd pick if I could introduce someone to Trek with only a single episode. It's a classic "weird anomaly" episode; doesn't rely on you knowing a great deal about the characters; and with a simple premise it tells the kind of thoughtful, bittersweet story that only really good sci fi can.

I think someone here tried to introduce a newcomer using The Inner Light, only for it to fall flat. I'm not sure it works all that well as an intro, and would maybe be better saved as a follow up to something more representative of the show in general. 

I'd maybe go with the start of Season 4 of Deep Space Nine. The Way of the Warrior is a brilliant and exciting introduction to both the show and the season, and is followed immediately with The Visitor which is an equally brilliant example to show the range of the show. I think a similar double bill would work for The Inner Light.

Yesterday's Enterprise is fantastic though. I think I'd lead with that over The Inner Light for a TNG choice, as I think it still stands alone despite familiarity elevating it further. It's certainly up there with the best of the series for me.

My favourite TNG episode is still Darmok though. I'd be tempted to go with that as my TNG pick actually.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I'd maybe go with the start of Season 4 of Deep Space Nine. The Way of the Warrior is a brilliant and exciting introduction to both the show and the season, and is followed immediately with The Visitor which is an equally brilliant example to show the range of the show. I think a similar double bill would work for The Inner Light.

The start of Season 4 is a terrible place for someone unfamiliar with Trek to start a DS9 watch-through, though. They’ll miss out on so many decent episodes, world-building and character moments. Someone who’s watched some DS9 but not seen TNG will also be thrown off by Way of the Warrior focusing so much on a character who shows up out of nowhere too.

I still stand with 'Yesterday's Enterprise' as the best choice.

Yeah it has some backstory, but you don't need to know much more than Tasha Yar was previouly a crew member who had died.

The Enterprise C and crew also kind of act as a bridge to the TOS era.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

The start of Season 4 is a terrible place for someone unfamiliar with Trek to start a DS9 watch-through, though. They’ll miss out on so many decent episodes, world-building and character moments. Someone who’s watched some DS9 but not seen TNG will also be thrown off by Way of the Warrior focusing so much on a character who shows up out of nowhere too.

I wasn't recommending it as a place to start a full DS9 watch, I was recommending it as an episode to introduce someone to Star Trek as per Waggo's question. Specifically the pairing with The Visitor gives a really well rounded intro to the breadth of the show. TWotW was also clearly intended as something of a relaunch for the show, building o what went before but with remaining accessible for newcomers.

If someone wanted to watch all of DS9 then obviously the best place to start is Emissary. It's not just the start of the show, but it's actually a really good episode in its own right.

19 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I reckon the best intro to Star Trek for a complete newcomer is probably First Contact. It covers a lot of bases. 

I was going to suggest Wrath Of Khan if you don’t mind going back to the beginning of Trek, but First Contact would also be superb. 

Nearly done with TNG. On an episode where the enterprise has to help some native Americans move planet due to changes in the borderlines between the federation and cardassians. 

Aaaand Wesley Crusher is back and fucking worse than ever. Surly, grumpy, he’s like a teenager. The whole show is wrapping up soon and there seems to be no impetus or drive forward, just episode of the week after episode of the week. 

9 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Nearly done with TNG. On an episode where the enterprise has to help some native Americans move planet due to changes in the borderlines between the federation and cardassians. 

Aaaand Wesley Crusher is back and fucking worse than ever. Surly, grumpy, he’s like a teenager. The whole show is wrapping up soon and there seems to be no impetus or drive forward, just episode of the week after episode of the week. 

Er ... that all leads into DS9. 

Firstly, people who start posts with “er” are the worst. Stop it immediately!

Secondly, it doesn’t matter if it leads into DS9. The show should be leading to some epic conclusion, some big send off. This feels like it could be an episode from any point in any series. It’s been a disappointing series with more downs than ups at this point. 

19 hours ago, Waggo said:

TNG: Lower Decks

As for why - all the main characters in it are basically new, it's seeing Trek through their eyes, the main cast are pretty much extras so you don't need to know anything about their history or anything that's gone before really.  Plus it is excellent.