Jump to content

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads


Wiper
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

 

You ain't seen nothing yet. I'm truly jealous that you've never watched the show before.


It’s been fun watching them, to be honest. They’ve not aged too terribly, apart from the rough SD resolution, some dodgy set work (computer screens especially) and that 90s TV pacing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Up to s2e10 (sanctuary) of DS9 and it’s still not grabbing me. Even watching other things instead whereas I was happy to binge TNG. 

Give it to season 3, then if you still don’t like it jump to season 4 season opener.  If you don’t like that then you probably won’t like the rest of it. 
 

Just got to season 7 on my re re re etc watch.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Up to s2e10 (sanctuary) of DS9 and it’s still not grabbing me. Even watching other things instead whereas I was happy to binge TNG. 

 

You are past the episode (Necessary Evil) that first got me properly hooked on the show back in the day.  Still my absolute favourite stand alone DS9 episode despite the many brilliant episodes that follow it. 

 

The last episode of season 2 and the opening couple of season 3 will give you a good idea if you want to stick with it, as they very much set the tone for the remainder of the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Waggo said:

 

You are past the episode (Necessary Evil) that first got me properly hooked on the show back in the day.  Still my absolute favourite stand alone DS9 episode despite the many brilliant episodes that follow it. 

 

The last episode of season 2 and the opening couple of season 3 will give you a good idea if you want to stick with it, as they very much set the tone for the remainder of the show.

 

I did like Necessary Evil but my issue is, for every episode like that there are 5 crap ones. It's a lot like TNG in that respect, except I can forgive TNG because it has the nostalgia factor for me and I like the characters more. So far for me the only interesting characters in DS9 are Odo and Quark. Everyone else is just kinda there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is definitely hope that you will get much more into the show in that case, as the hit rate of good/great episodes massively improves from the end of season 2 onwards. There is basically a overarching story arc from that point on, so pretty much every episode contributes something to it.  There are still the odd duffers, but from season 4 on it is pretty much 3 or 4 great episodes to one duffer so a total reversal of where you are at now.

 

Look on the episodes you have watched (endured) so far as character builders, as if you do get properly into the show you will come to care about Kira, Garak, Sisko, Nog, Bashir, Jake, Dukat and maybe even Dax plus some more characters who have not appeared as yet in addition to Odo and Quark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love DS9 but no idea why people tell you to stick through seasons 1 and 2.

 

Skip to the final 2 episodes of s2 and then do season 3. S4 is the really good stuff but the ratio of good to bad is much higher in three than 1 and 2.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been listening to the Greatest Generation doing DS9 and they’re now quite a way into S3 (on my listening, I’m years behind real time). And it’s reminded me just how many decent episodes there are in that season. Sure, S4 is where it really starts to motor, but there are a few classics in S3, I’d say.

 

@Doctor Shark, stick with it! You’ll get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ST:V Flesh and Blood... parts 1 and 2

 

EMG exceeds programming... blah blah blah... rebels... blah blah blah... making tough choices... blah blah blah... greater good...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Up to season 3 episode 4. Last few episodes of s2 were good, and the start of s3 was good, too. I like that there’s actual arcs and not just one off stories and two parters, like there was in TNG. 

 

It’s also funny, having watched all seven seasons of TNG and now three of DS9, how many people pop up that you recognise! Sometimes it’s just their voice as they’re under so many prosthetics, but it’s mad how many people turn up in Star Trek! 
 

I’m warming up to Sisko a bit. Julian isn’t as bad as he was but he’s still not great. Kira and Dax are still pretty dull. Quark and Odo still the MVPs but going to have to add O’Brien to that list, he’s been brilliant so far. Crazy how clearly underused he was on TNG. Odo has had some annoying moments - any time he doesn’t get his way or a Starfleet security person comes on board he throws his toys out of the bucket and threatens to resign. Bloody moaner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Up to season 3 episode 4. Last few episodes of s2 were good, and the start of s3 was good, too. I like that there’s actual arcs and not just one off stories and two parters, like there was in TNG. 

 

It’s also funny, having watched all seven seasons of TNG and now three of DS9, how many people pop up that you recognise! Sometimes it’s just their voice as they’re under so many prosthetics, but it’s mad how many people turn up in Star Trek! 
 

I’m warming up to Sisko a bit. Julian isn’t as bad as he was but he’s still not great. Kira and Dax are still pretty dull. Quark and Odo still the MVPs but going to have to add O’Brien to that list, he’s been brilliant so far. Crazy how clearly underused he was on TNG. Odo has had some annoying moments - any time he doesn’t get his way or a Starfleet security person comes on board he throws his toys out of the bucket and threatens to resign. Bloody moaner. 

 

Man, I can't wait to read your impressions when you get to the first episode of season four. I'm so excited for you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep unfortunately it will still throw up odd stinkers right through the entire run, although they do get less frequent.

 

On the plus side the two parter up next for you is a belter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes that was a bad episode and yet another example so far of how they clearly don’t know what they’re doing with Dax. That decision seemed completely out of the admittedly little character she had at this point. 

Finished Past Tense 1 and 2 and Life Support last night. Bashir as a character is better now, but he still can’t act very well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yes that was a bad episode and yet another example so far of how they clearly don’t know what they’re doing with Dax. That decision seemed completely out of the admittedly little character she had at this point. 

Finished Past Tense 1 and 2 and Life Support last night. Bashir as a character is better now, but he still can’t act very well. 

 

Interesting, at least in later seasons I always thought the actor playing Bashir was one of the stronger character actors in the ensemble. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr S dont read

 

Spoiler

I thought he was terrible in early season 6 stuff when they started him doing the bio engineered maths/probability in his head like some sort of Data proxy 

 

But then it turned out the actor was doing it on purpose as he hated it and wanted them to stop…which they did

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

S3 E22, in which Sisko turns up with a goatee which looks fake and therefore literally everything else in the episode is irrelevant. Something to do with him building a ship? Who knows. Goatee knows. 

This is not even his final form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.