IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

Hard Time, DS9 S4 E19

O’Brien is put through 20 years of jail time for espionage - except it was done virtually and hardly any time has passed. Thing is, Miles lived that 20 years and finds readjusting to life aboard DS9 difficult and the usually calm and serene O’Brien (fucking lol) becomes increasingly irritated and irrational. 

Cracking episode. 

That one is a cracker. Probably one of the worst things ever to happen to a Star Trek character as well. It's so horrible that the fact it happens to O'Brien is almost hilarious.

11 hours ago, Benny said:

You'll be unsurprised to learn the writers had an annual "shit on O'Brien' competition to see if they could outdo each other.

Described in the DS9 Companion directly as the 'torture O'Brien' episodes. 😆 Hard Time is probably the nastiest of them.

The weird part of that episode is not a single follow up one ever mentions it again, even in passing. Was so odd with how good this show is at refering back to things but this always gets a pass. They just pull a TNG reset and forget about it but he should be suffering for ages going forward. Only blemish on a very fine episode.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit drunk but I really genuinely think that someone should contact the zucker/ abrams team and get Michael Dorn to do a naked gun sequel with him as drebbin and a white guy as nordberg. 

His dead pan skills are amazing, he's genuinely hilarious. 

Good tea. Nice house. 

DS9 watch continues, slowly. 

S4 E20

Christ, this was a rough one. Luwaxana Troi is pregnant and marries Odo to get around some cultural thing with the father. Jake is being sucked off by a creativity vampire or something. Fucking hell. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Just a bump to say all episodes of the centre seat documentary are now up on Amazon IMDb service.  Free with ads.  Covers the usual as well as episodes on DS9, voyager and enterprise. 

I had never heard of this! Awesome stuff, will give it a watch. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2022 at 16:22, Girth Certificate said:

Apart from the obvious exception all the Jake episodes suuuuuuuuck

I've come to realise I hate the Bajorans as well. Their dull earthtone clobber, stupid earrings, shit culture, victim complex. 

I actually also love In The Cards, which I think counts as a Jake episode too.

I put on a completely random episode of DS9 just now. I got S3E17: "Visionary". 

Even an entirely random episode is more interesting than that Picard shite. It's got mystery, technobabble, Klingons, Romulans, O'Brian being shafted, Odo being clever, Kira being angry, Quark being Quark. And it's not aggressively stupid.

What's not to like?

Oh I'm not picking. I typed a bit of JavaScript to pick a number between 1 and 176.

This way I'm even at the mercy of the shit episodes.

But I'm sticking to DS9 though.

Edit: though that website would have saved me typing a few lines.

Today's random DS9 episode: S2E1 "Homecoming".

Fun to see characters that still don't entirely trust each other yet, but lots of really well observed "workplace" humour and drama kicks it all off. There's a bit of the political stuff, Bajoran supremacist graffiti equivalents of swastikas, O'Brien, extremely dubious plans to distract guards. I'll take it.