IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's the level of commitment here? If it throws a 9, will you be rolling again?

I will watch whatever random episode that website posted above throws up on one button click each day. No takesey backseys. Apart from repeats.

Also just Deep Space 9, but I might extend it to TNG as well if I get too many repeats.

They're also managing to make a subtle reference to racism towards interracial couples in this episode in a very organic way. 

There's also a great scene where Kira is leaving and is the middle of saying: "they're giving me a desk job!

Bashir walks in: "just wanted to give you my best"

Dax, to Kira "That's rather dull"

Bashir "I beg your pardon!"

Scratch that, three for the price of one! Already a good pot luck today!

Edit: well I really lucked out with this one tonight, early DS9 but still a proper bit of Trek!

On 02/04/2022 at 19:22, JohnC said:

TMP Directors Edition, not available since it's 2001 DVD release, got spruced up

Oooh, nice. Hope this comes to 4K Blu-Ray. Not a good film, but it looks beautiful and sounds amazing.

Due to everything being too much right now most of my entertainment is watching all the "shit" episodes of TNG where not much happens and it's like an office drama.

Anything with Troi's mum, Riker banging anything that moves, Worf being a shit dad, Geordie being a creep, Crusher in some high-concept sci-fi that does nothing for her character because they don't know what to do with her. I love it.

And then as I struggle to sleep with all the demons in my head, I listen to the Mission Log podcast about these episodes as they seem to be designed to make you sleep.

Fuck it, I'm adding TNG to the random select.

First, flip a coin to determine DS9 or TNG (Heads for TNG obviously), then use that website posted earlier to pick the ep. NO SKIPPINGS.

That racist episode of season 1 of TNG I've never actually watched will be just sitting there... Menacingly.

I was considering whether to add Voyager or Enterprise to this random selection, but then I think I'd be skewing my ratio too far towards the likelihood of ruining my evening more often. I have Picard for that, once a week.

Wtf is that Cassidy Yates?!

Oh no it's just the actor pool for these shows was small so she's playing someone else.

The episode literally began with the FULL William Riker lean and straddle in the extreme foreground :lol:

Also, Christ, it's amazing seeing Picard actually being Picard. Willing to sacrifice hundreds of lives for the Prime Directive. Real hardass Picard.

This episode is one of those ones where they adhere rigidly to the Prime Directive for plot reasons, so the Federation naturally come across as cold monsters :lol:

They do make a point about how the Prime Directive was intended to preserve cultures by non interference, even if that means letting a culture die out, which always seemed contradictory to me.

I love how Worf just makes up any old bullshit to explain some weird tech anomaly to the primitive people about it being a "sign". Ha! Savages.

Edit: Worf's already been offered someone's daughter. Love it.

Ah, that was fun. The system works!

For those interested, skip to about 39mins in. There is an extremely brief moment in the next shot where, before turning away, Michael Dorn has a massive grin on his face that looks completely out of character :lol:

50 minutes ago, Benny said:

Wtf is that Cassidy Yates?!

Oh no it's just the actor pool for these shows was small so she's playing someone else.

The episode literally began with the FULL Ryker lean and straddle in the extreme foreground :lol:

Also, Christ, it's amazing seeing Picard actually being Picard. Willing to sacrifice hundreds of lives for the Prime Directive. Real hardass Picard.

?!?

😛

18 hours ago, Benny said:

This episode is one of those ones where they adhere rigidly to the Prime Directive for plot reasons, so the Federation naturally come across as cold monsters :lol:

They do make a point about how the Prime Directive was intended to preserve cultures by non interference, even if that means letting a culture die out, which always seemed contradictory to me.

They might end up turning into Space Nazis, taking up the space some other civilisation would have filled becoming Space Hippies. Or visa versa, of course. The important thing is that the Federation can't be blamed for giving them a nudge up at the expense of others. 

I watched Picard at lunch so it didn't get in the way of my daily evening Trek.

Heads again! And today's random selection of TNG is...

S6E6: True Q

Oh man, I bet even mediocre Q is better than Picard Q.

Holy shit, climate change commentary... About a planet that tries to scrub the air rather than clean up their emissions. From a 90s show.

That's incredibly depressing.

But Riker just standing around the shuttle bay waiting for a big box to fall on him much more fun :lol: