IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

Although, I think Worf

Spoiler

not wanting to give the baby back, in a brief scene, might actually be one of the most subtle and brilliant Worf moments in the whole show.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

S5E18: Business as Usual

I remember this one. Quark fails to sell weapons. It's alright.

A minor classic for me, this one. Sisko threatening Quark is Brooks at his best, as is Quark's subsequent reaction, where his face reveals that whilst he's scared of Sisko, he's terrified of Kira.

I've realised if I'm doing this daily I might have to include Voyager, as after a couple of weeks I'll have about a 1 in 25 chance of hitting a repeat pick I think.

After a few more days than that, in D&D terms this could mean hitting Sub Rosa is like rolling a natural 1. Only the chance gets higher every week afterwards...

Oh man. Gul Dukat. They don't make villains like that any more. Even in the "domestic" episodes he's great. His interactions with Kira through his daughter are so calculating and insidious.

I actually really like that episode. It was right in that sweet spot of DS9 where all the characters are so well established that even "bottle" episodes are very engaging.

I'm currently polishing off TNG and half way through the seventh Season. 

Just had the pleasure of watching Sub Rosa, it is as bad as everyone says. How Gates Mcfadden acted her way through the ghost lover scenes with a straight face. Worst still, Frakes was directing. I can only imagine that the cast took it in their stride, having worked together for seven years at this point, so it was all just a bit of a laugh.

With the exception of All Good Things, I don't think I have seen some of these since they were originally shown. It is almost like watching them afresh (I have vague memories of the good ones like Parallels and Pegasus).

Quite decent. Plus more interesting political commentary than certain other recent shows...

And actually does something fun and believable with its characters. Oh my god, like a real TV show. Crazy.

I really think O'Brien and Bashir could have been more open-minded when Quark have his heartfelt comparison between their worries about the safety of Earth and when rampant inflation hit Ferenginar.

Spoiler

:lol:

Had to watch the next part obviously. Trouble with late season DS9 is large parts of it just follows into subsequent episodes so watching one-offs is less likely. Only just realised one of the cast plays Leah Brahms in TNG.

I love the scene with Avery Brooks dressing down that hotshot cadet. I'd be wetting myself too.

Plus it's a clever Sisko moment in tricking the poor sap.

Classic DS9 this. Political intrigue up the wazoo. All you need is a few rooms, a few actors really able to sell the idea of planet wide changes, a space battle, Avery Brooks saying "O! You don't have the right", and a nice cup of tea. Lovely.

I've decided to pause this random selection for a bit while I get stuck into a Better Call Saul rewatch, so time for one last bit of lazy bank holiday Trek before coming back later...

Heads flipped! TNG it is this time. Let's see what episode we get for now on the ol' random select.

You all know what I got. I'm ripping off the band-aid now. Why the fuck am I doing this to myself.

Spoiler

Eugh. Shivers all over. You can regret many things in life, but watching this episode is a great cosmic test all Trek fans must go through.

The stereotype Scottish bloke etc just sets the stage for this utter madness.

You know, after having watched that Picard series train wreck...

Spoiler

Sub Rosa is simply a structurally sound piece of repugnant nonsense in comparison. It's awful, but at least appears like a story that was put together by a person and progresses from A to B, no matter how misguided and stupid and wrong it was.

How about that. Sub Rosa is now no longer the worst ever episode of Star Trek. Picard and Discovery for having worse in that sense are a monumental achievement.