IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

13 minutes ago, Benny said:

Yeah I mean Kira definitely fits better in DS9 because of the character's balance. Plus, imagine Ensign Ro having to carry Chief O'Brien's child...

Actually I would watch the fuck out of that. It would be amazing.

Yeah I imagine they changed a hell of a lot of the stories once nana visitor was properly involved. 

Not to mention that whole pregnancy thing was written in because she became pregnant with Alexander Siddig's kid. And it was ira Steven behr's wife suggested actually writing the pregnancy in to her character rather than try and hide it/ have her sitting behind something like they always did with female actors back in the day, as though being pregnant shouldn't ever happen to a character. 

Or more to the point the normally all male writing team wouldn't know how to write a pregnant woman I'm sure :facepalm:

If I may be permitted to "do a Benny":

TNG S3E12 "The High Ground"

A staggeringly naive look at the issue of terrorism which might have just about washed with an American audience in 1990 but seems utterly preposterous post 9/11 and, indeed, to us Brits. There's a line in here about the "Irish reunification of 2024" which led to this being banned over here for years, to be honest that probably did us a favour because this is a ridiculous episode in which Riker actively wants to negotiate with terrorists and Beverly solves everything by telling one kid "no more killing". It's something like the third episode in a row which has the plot of "what if this person who seems really bad isn't actually that bad after all", which given that the main guy in this is someone who literally lives in a cave and bombs children, is a bit of a stretch.

I'm working my way through S3 of TNG, I haven't seen most of these episodes for years and to be honest it's all a lot ropier than I remembered so far. Maybe it picks up in the second half of the season. I've got a Q episode and Yesterday's Enterprise coming up very shortly so that's something to look forward to at least.

TNG S5E23 "I Borg"

In which Guinan is all up for genocide but Picard is having doubts. I like this one.

The idea for virus they create is actually quite well done. Surprisingly straightforward and low in magical technobabble.

12 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

If I may be permitted to "do a Benny":

TNG S3E12 "The High Ground"

A staggeringly naive look at the issue of terrorism which might have just about washed with an American audience in 1990 but seems utterly preposterous post 9/11 and, indeed, to us Brits. There's a line in here about the "Irish reunification of 2024" which led to this being banned over here for years, to be honest that probably did us a favour because this is a ridiculous episode in which Riker actively wants to negotiate with terrorists and Beverly solves everything by telling one kid "no more killing". It's something like the third episode in a row which has the plot of "what if this person who seems really bad isn't actually that bad after all", which given that the main guy in this is someone who literally lives in a cave and bombs children, is a bit of a stretch.

You're not wrong about anything here but the one thing I'd say the episode does get right is that the problem isn't solved at the end, which is about as nuanced as this one gets.

1 hour ago, readonly said:

You're not wrong about anything here but the one thing I'd say the episode does get right is that the problem isn't solved at the end, which is about as nuanced as this one gets.

It's not the first episode this season to end unresolved, and I quite like that. The best example was The Survivors, which is the one where a whole planet is wiped out apart from two old codgers living in a little house. It turns out to be

Spoiler

the work of an unfathomably powerful immortal being, and Picard is all like "welp, guess there's nothing we can do" and nopes out of there as fast as he can.

It's all very different to modern Trek, where everyone would agree to live peacefully ever after simply because they loved Michael Burnham so damn much.

This put me in the mood for some HD Voyager and thankfully some fans have gone and done a complete 1080P remaster to Bluray quality. Only 150GB so not as big as DS9 but fingers crossed it looks good.

I watched Wrath of Khan last night for the first time.

I don't generally get on with Original Series stuff very well which is why I've never watched it before. Given its reputation though I thought it would be... better? I guess it's still just a TOS movie, with the same weird pacing and dodgy model spaceships that fans are used to. Amazing to think this came out five years after Star Wars though because it looks archaic in comparison.

My main takeaway from the whole thing was that Khan looks like Nadine Dorries. A terrifying villain indeed.

DS9 S6E7: "You Are Cordially Invited"

Worf bachelor party time! I like this one a lot. It's a much needed come down from the excitement of the episodes before. Though I seem to remember Sisco bet Martok a barrel of blood wine that he would set foot on the station first, so I'm surprised it's not referenced in the intro. Unless that happened last ep.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love that the Klingon wedding ceremony vows are completely non gendered. And that they are about how getting married is good because you can tear the gods a new one so much better with some jolly cooperation.

It's also quite clever for a romantic comedy genre piece, with the stereotypical gender roles that would have been in everything else at the time being effectively reversed, with Worf obsessing about wedding plans and Jadzia being the one having wild parties and having to meet the In-law's approval.

Finished my run through TNG. season 7 had some real stinkers before All Good Things didn’t it! I didn’t know Netflix had some weird TV special from the end of the run presented by Frakes too. 

TNG S5E15 "Power Play"

in which some ghosts take the occupants of Ten Forward hostage. Worf does some choice tumbling, Brent Spiner smashes a console in some "evil ham" acting, possessed Chief O'Brien gets a bit rapey, the bad guys conveniently reveal their plans in the final moments, and ultimately not an awful lot happens.

Picked up a selective viewing of VoyAfer. Currently on S6:E9 The Voyager Conspiracy. 

Don’t suppose a shine can recommend specific episodes to focus on to the end of all seasons. I don’t have time to watch them all but do want to see the pertinent ones. 

6 hours ago, Benny said:

TNG S5E15 "Power Play"

in which some ghosts take the occupants of Ten Forward hostage. Worf does some choice tumbling, Brent Spiner smashes a console in some "evil ham" acting, possessed Chief O'Brien gets a bit rapey, the bad guys conveniently reveal their plans in the final moments, and ultimately not an awful lot happens.

Is that the one with the penal colony convicts pretending to be the long dead crew of a Starship that went missing like a hundred years earlier or so?

TNG S1E11 "Haven"

I've never seen this one! Oh no, Troi has an arranged marriage, this gonna be good...

The face in a box tho :lol:

Oh no, a mullet boy! Run away Deanna!

Something odd to note about this series: the soundtrack a lot more "cinematic" and orchestral, with strong string arrangements.

Picard's "it's Starfleet tradition to prohibit all arguments at any social gathering, I hereby declare all disputes resolved" was legitimately hilarious. A masterful maneuver :lol:

But honestly what a great moral center they set up for the show: a last remnant of an alien species that have a virus they carry, that if they set foot on another planet will wipe out everyone on it. But instead of blowing them up to protect billions, this is Star Trek, where all life is sacred, so another way must be found.

Someone should have been screaming NO VIOLENCE at the Picard and Discovery writers over and over and over until it got into their thick skulls.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Oh no, a mullet boy! Run away Deanna!

Something odd to note about this series: the soundtrack a lot more "cinematic" and orchestral, with strong string arrangements.

Full 50 piece orchestra for each ep, my man. Cut down to about 35 from season 4 on.

Although TNG is the origin of the 'no thematic material or memorable tunes' style that has been popular for years as music is just for emotional wallpaper in the series.