The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

Grim as fuck and fucking awesome.

But you know what:

Spoiler

It's actually very anti-trek, considering it wasn't about understanding the aliens or negotiating with them. But it's so obviously Alien inspired in the right ways in the creepy final shot that I can forgive it that.

16 hours ago, Benny said:

TNG S1E25 "Conspiracy"

In which Worf says he hates swimming because it's like bathing, because presumably he's a disgusting Klingon. And Data is attempting to decipher one of Geordi's dirty jokes.

Still one of my favourites. It's so dark and the vibe throughout is mega-creepy (the music really amplifies that and the action at the end of the episode here, so fuck you Berman!). Even stunt people wearing wigs can't detract from the greatness of this episode, and the ending is an all-time classic. Even though season 1 was dodgy in places, they took some wild swings while they were figuring out the tone of the show - without that, episodes like Conspiracy wouldn't exist. I know Rodenberry hated it... which automatically made it good. 😅  Also, props for having characters we've already seen return to be villains, rather than just evil Admiral of the week. Conspiracy is definitely one of the many TNG episodes which would be even more fucking amazing if it was made with today's production values. But even as it is, it's a winner.

TNG S6E23 "Rightful Heir"

Love me some Gawron. The bit when he first steps on the ship and goes "Where is he Picard!?" and that whole scene after is maximum Gawron and is great. I do like the concept of Worf having a crisis of faith, and we get nice great scenes with him and Picard and Data, but it's pretty damn convenient that not only is he in the right place at the right time while on leave, but literally solves a crisis that could have destroyed the entire Klingon people while he's at it :lol:

Best bit was actually when he was late to the bridge and Riker was like: "He's never late... Security!"

Also bonus points for Picard being extremely disappointed in Worf for his erratic behaviour, but showing compassion for his issues. Like a real Captain with a real professional character...

Another interesting thing to note: as one of his peers, I think Data spends at least as much time if not more time with Worf as he does Picard. Which is why the whole mostly manufactured Data and Picard relationship from the films and subsequently what stupid Nu Trek thinks is real is so dumb.

DS9 S5E21 "Soldiers of the Empire"

Uh oh, more Klingon stuff with Worf!

Only this time with some extremely sarcastic ones :lol:

But any Martok time is well spent time.

Just a little extra thing I was thinking about with regards to that episode - I could imagine there are some viewers who might have been disappointed that we didn't actually get to see the battle where Martok and his crew rescue the other ship. But ultimately, it's not really about the battle itself and, in this way, by leaving it up to you imagination as to what actually happened in it or how the battle went, you can imagine something more epic and glorious for all involved than could ever be depicted on screen.

A bit like the last TNG episode I watched: it's more about myth making.

TNG S4E7 "Reunion"

Another Worf episode! What are the odds? :lol: 

(well about 1 in 178, to put my Data hat on)

More Gowron is always welcome. Here he's much younger and more feisty. Alexander is introduced, and Picard does what he does best with the political jiggery pokery.

On 03/05/2022 at 18:16, Benny said:

It's quite odd Sisko going on about Starfleet not liking Odo because he thumbs his nose at authority and doesn't respect the chain of command. I usually think of him later as being lawful and by the book to an absolute fault.

He’s not really by the book for Starfleet. He does a lot of things he would never get permission for as an officer.

He is by the book for Odo though. I think it’s a testament to how well developed a character Odo was that a massive fan like you can consider him to be lawful to a fault because you’ve seen enough of him to know not only that he has a well developed moral code, but you also know what that code is and that he would never ever break it.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Unless he's petulantly messing around with lifts when Kira is dating of course.

It’s just because Kira was on his bucket list. 

On 05/05/2022 at 18:42, Benny said:

Holy shit, Doctor Crusher is a badass. The possessed admiral takes apart Riker, flicks away Geordi, and chucks Worf over a table, and Beverly is just like, surprise motherfucker! I remembered we have Phasers unlike these chumps.

I realised this on a subsequent watch.. Beverley has the best shot/hit record of the entire crew.. the doc doesn't miss.

I'm almost at the end of DS9 on the 4K remaster and the longer I watch the stranger it seems Paramount haven't stuck this on a Bluray and bunged it out. One of the biggest issues they used to say was how the ships look terrible and detail doesn't stand out but that's rubbish. That's a quick screen grab but looks freat when its running. I want my DS9 boxset! 

Untitled.png.6bf65ba7986e6bc0ae359939b0753355.png

DS9 S6E21 "The Reckoning"

I'd kind of forgotten this episode. Firstly, I think Kai Winn was totally in the right initially: Sisko just grabs a precious artefact and refuses to give it back to its own people, with vague and flimsy justifications, which even Starfleet disagree with - she's got a point!

So I kind of hate the fact Sisko is proven right in the end, especially when he had just smashed it to bits in a fit of pique. Jesus, Ben!

Overall a bit of a weird episode - the bits of plot it pushes forward only really come into play later, and we get to see Kira going Super Saiyan. Also forgot Kira and Odo were actually an item at one point.

Also: the fight between the Wormhole Aliens - I've just realised it looks exactly the same as the end of the battle between Harry and Voldemort at the end of the last Harry Potter movie :lol:

The second half of TNG season 3 has an incredible run of episodes. I've just watched Deja Q, A Matter of Perspective, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Offspring and Sins of the Father, in a straight run. Absolute bangers every one of them, and later on in the season I've still got Sarek, Best of Both Worlds and a couple of other great episodes to come.

13 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The second half of TNG season 3 has an incredible run of episodes. I've just watched Deja Q, A Matter of Perspective, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Offspring and Sins of the Father, in a straight run. Absolute bangers every one of them, and later on in the season I've still got Sarek, Best of Both Worlds and a couple of other great episodes to come.

Season 3 was a real change for the better for TNG. Better sets, costumes and the episode quality takes an upturn. 

Everyone says it gets better when Riker grows a beard (Season 2), I think its when they stopped wearing those awful tight fitting onesies.

28 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Season 3 was a real change for the better for TNG. Better sets, costumes and the episode quality takes an upturn. 

Everyone says it gets better when Riker grows a beard (Season 2), I think its when they stopped wearing those awful tight fitting onesies.

Michael Piller, innit. After a revolving door of head writers he finally puts a stable staff together and sets the tone for the show.

It takes a while though. The first half of season 3 is about level with season 2 in quality - fairly mediocre with a couple of stand-outs. It's only around the halfway mark where it really hits its stride.

I think the biggest difference is that S3 is the point at which the show starts to consider the wider galaxy in which it's set, and occasionally allows itself some loose continuity. Sins of the Father basically sets the tone for every Klingon episode thereafter, across both TNG and DS9. (We have Ronald D Moore to thank for that, I believe). The Enemy and the Defector tie together and start the process of fleshing out the Romulans a bit. Of course Best of Both Worlds is a direct follow-on from season 2's Q Who.

I'm really enjoying working my way through these again. Some episodes (generally the good ones) I remember very clearly, others not at all, to the point where I'm questioning whether I've ever even seen them. I'm sure I've never actually watched them in order before.

DS9 S3E23 "Family Business"

In which the entire crew is trying to get the Commander laid, and there's some Ferengi misogyny nonsense or other. And a wild Jeffrey Combs.

TNG S7E4+5 "Gambit: Part 1&2"

Oh no! Picard's been vaporised!

Anyway, you can tell Pat Stew had been demanding more action adventure for Picard. The whole premise of the episode is just somewhat hokey. Why did Picard go off on his own, was it while he was on his hols? Surely as a Captain of the flagship he should at least have said where he was off to. Also, the bad guy is proper shit. Shit and dumb.

Data steepling his fingers while sitting in the captain's chair was pretty funny though, and I really like the scene where Worf and Data resolve their differences and metaphorically brofist.

I mean why would the bad guy assume someone like Riker would be interested in being "rich" and a "healthy long life away from the Federation". It's literally a utopia where you can indulge your every whim and need with magic healthcare to heal all illness. He's so dumb :lol:

The Vulcan Resonator really is a shit ultimate weapon. She should have just picked up a phaser, they kill people about as quickly and without the fatal design flaw :lol: