IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

DS9 S6E14: "One Little Ship"

The laws of physics definitely take a back seat on this one :lol:

I like it though, it's a lot of fun, and benefits from the 6 seasons of character development we've had so far to make all the interactions enjoyable.

But the best is at the end

Spoiler

When we find out that both Odo and Worf are the funniest guys on the station. Absolutely brilliant.

Spoiler

But it's also really sad, when you realise how happy Worf is when he's with Jadzia and actually able to joke around, considering what's coming later :(

You know, maybe Worf actually fainted because of the tight jumpsuits. It was actually this that was the catalyst for Starfleet to make some adjustments. Klingon honour was at stake.

The Klingon tea ceremony isn't something you see every day. I swear early TNG made the Klingons seem a lot more noble and contemplative at times. Or maybe it was just Worf.

I get the impression it's a lot like humans though in the real world: capable of much beauty and nobility, but the average bloke in the street is just the usual arsehole.

When the walking stereotype says "what about the other colony?", the spooky music as the camera focuses on Picard as if to say "oh merde, there's more of them?" is priceless.

Riker literally beds the stereotypical housewife in seconds. Worf chats about booze... The jaunty whistle music never stops...

This is absolutely one of the worst episodes.

But would I rather watch this than Nu Trek?

As if you have to ask.

Tell everyone you are a bunch of right wing shitlords who know nothing about Star Trek, without saying you are a bunch of right wing shitlords who know nothing about Star Trek.

Spoiler

image.png.19452d1d6111351769aab7c280f3c015.png

Hit the jackpot tonight!

DS9 S5E14+15 "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light"

Some peak DS9 right here. Jam packed with brilliant character moments, crazy revelations, tense situations, legendary triumphs, and moments of levity.

Just marvellous stuff. I could go on but there are too many great bits across both episodes.

That episode genuinely went fucking nowhere. The O'Brien/Bashir bit had absolutely no payoff either. Surprisingly shit episode to be honest!

DS9 S6E8 "Resurrection"

in which most of the cast collectively take leave of their senses apart from Quark. Are we really expected to believe Kira finds it that difficult to find a date that only alternate universe blokes who look conveniently like dead ex lovers will do? :lol:

I have to be honest, I've always really hated the alternate universe stuff. The existing one should be interesting enough without having to pop into new ones for the sake of coming up with new material. So whenever there are offshoots from those episodes I mentally check out.

TOS S2E9 "Metamorphosis"

So that's where Zefram Cochrane went.

Much as I love the original series, you do get some dated aspects being the product of its time. Cochrane's racism gets some rolled eyes from the cast of course, which is the point of the story, but that poor diplomat they have with them has to die and merge with the alien entity because MAN NEED WOMAN. And the main thing she laments when she is dying is that because she had a successful career, she didn't HAVE MAN.

It's all pretty harmless though really as you do have to take it for what it is these days rather than what it's not, and it's still fun adventure television. And for its time it certainly would have raised some probing questions. Although Bones' final line (paraphrased):

Spoiler

"But, Jim, what about the war she was going to stop"? 

"Oh don't worry, I'm sure they'll find another woman"

Is so monumentally sexist and dismissive of her character I choked on my Pepsi :lol:

On 14/05/2022 at 23:12, Benny said:

The Klingon tea ceremony isn't something you see every day. I swear early TNG made the Klingons seem a lot more noble and contemplative at times. Or maybe it was just Worf.

I get the impression it's a lot like humans though in the real world: capable of much beauty and nobility, but the average bloke in the street is just the usual arsehole.

Over the course of TNG and DS9 it’s shown to be, mostly, just Worf. He tries to over compensate for his human upbringing so ends up being more Klingon than the vast majority of Klingons. It’s actually pointed out to him later that the Klingon empire is rotten to the core and, despite all the shit said empire put him through in TNG, he still looks genuinely shaken by the realisation. 

DS9 S4E3 "The Visitor"

I really like this episode.

It works as a mediation on loss and grief, but beyond that it explicitly explores the bond between Ben and Jake, which itself is an interesting dynamic even within Star Trek - the captains are all fearless leaders and diplomats, but Ben is also, for a lot of screen time, a father.

Some dodgy aging makeup aside (though doddery old fool version of Bashir is pretty funny), it's also a much more satisfying "what if" kind of scenario than you get in many of the time bending Trek cannon, and especially moreso than "mirror universe" shite. It's just a really engaging story, well told and acted.

I think Avery Brooks has also grown on me so much since I first got into DS9. I always used to think he hammed it up a bit, but his final line to Jake in this episode, quivering with emotion, was really affecting. And caught me off guard a bit.

Just a bit of grit in my eye...