The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

TOS S1E9 "Dagger of the Mind"

I think I'm probably just going to have to put up with the everyday sexism in TOS, but as it was the 60s it's probably fairly alright by that era's standards.

Anyway, the idea of having a penal colony that is more about rehabilitation is great, but I mean obviously science fiction though eh?

So Bones is suspicious and makes Kirk pull some bullshit Starfleet regs, which he takes the piss out of Bones for. Later, Kirk has to go the planet and asks for Bones' best assistant. So Bones gets his own back by sending

Spoiler

A woman. Oh no! :lol:

Of course, it's actually to embarrass Kirk because of some fling they had at an Xmas party and they'd presumably avoided each other afterwards, so it's Bones going for the awkwardness. But the way it's framed before that revelation is so much like the problem is because "an attractive female doctor?!"

Anyway, there's precious little in the episode about the rehabilitation of prisoners, and more just some unethical mad scientist shenanigans. I'm not sure it's actively suggesting rehabilitation by unusual means would be bad, as it very much keeps the brain melting device separate, and seems to be more about the dangers of suppressing emotion and memory, as the original scientist who pioneered the "resort" style prison is back in charge in the end.

What's more strange is that they didn't take this opportunity to explore how this emotionless void that was terrible for these humans reflects on Spock much, as despite some references to how Vulcan purging of emotion prevents violent offenders, it doesn't ask the question of whether this can make Vulcans more distant as well. Spock seems more pleased in the end that the harrowing experience of being forced to kiss a woman he seemed to dislike didn't seem to have affected Kirk much.

Speaking of whom: she did actually have a pretty badass moment at the end kicking some guy into an electrical circuit, hopefully making up for the times earlier where male characters kept using her first name instead of doctor, interrupting her, talking over her, questioning her judgement, and forcibly kissing her anyway.

TOS S3E17 "That Which Survives"

Oh no! Shaking cardboard rocks!

Spock gets his full logic on while captaining the ship, along with a side helping of sass. I'm good with that.

The final scene is genuinely absurd. But what's this, a Red Shirt saves the day?! :blink2:

They all conclude the deadly woman was very intelligent, but, most importantly, that she was beautiful.

Except Spock, because he's not a thirsty human.

@Benny Watch Strange New Worlds. Three episodes in, and it's great, with character development throughout while sticking to the good old episodic format that Trek has always been great at. 

Keep getting 1s and 3s on the old D4...

DS9 S2E18 "Profit and Loss"

Not the similarly named DS9 episode fortunately... It's interesting seeing Garak early on. He's always seemed rather evil, though most of it is very much through his unshakable patriotism despite being in disgraced exile.

I always found Bashir's association with him reflected fairly badly on Bashir at times, because Garak makes no secret of his belief in the justification of the Cardassian occupation and subjugation of Bajor, but Bashir obviously finds him deeply fascinating.

Garak definitely softens slightly later on, as the Dominion war and the shifting of Galactic powers ravage Cardassia, and it's interesting seeing the decision he makes in this episode - you get the feeling he planned what he did at the end as Garak is not really given to doing things on a whim. But it might just have been a big fuck you to Cardassian command of course, rather than sentiment :lol:

I sat through Threshold for the first time in years the other night.

The first three acts are actually quite watchable with the Warp 10 barrier breaking stuff and Paris becoming ill and starting to fall apart (good special effects and makeup). It all falls apart at the end with the Infamous Paris/Janeway lizard creatures.

Its such an absolute bizzare turn for the episode to take and a classic case of "so bad it's good". How Mulgrew and McNeil kept straight faces when talking about having lizard babies together at the end scene I don't know.

TOS S1E18 "Arena"

A wild Gorn appears!

What more can be said about this episode that hasn't already. A masterclass in action choreography, a desperate struggle that puts Predator to shame. A true high bar that few could ever hope to match.

Spoiler

Coming back down to Earth for a moment, ropey effects and fighting aside, it's got a classic Trek moral message and has the mysterious godlike aliens thing going for it.

Something I like the most about early Trek is that in every scene on the bridge you can hear other crew members going about their jobs in the background, with various chatter about headings, navigation and whatnot. You know, like a real ship.

It puts even TNG to shame for that specific attention to detail. It may not have had the budget and the gloss always, but it damn well tried to create a believable universe as best it could in ways that made sense. At least in the first season anyway.

I’ve been re-watching Voyager from the start, and one of the things that drags it down is the Neelix/Kes relationship. There’s zero chemistry between the actors, and Neelix comes over as a creepy uncle more than anything else.

It reaches its nadir in S2E4 Elogium, which may be the worst episode of Star Trek. Horny space eels (who are trying to mate with Voyager) induce a premature mating cycle in Kes, who is revealed to be pre-pubescent. At one point it looks as though Neelix and Kes may actually get it on, which left me quite disturbed. Luckily they don’t.

15 hours ago, Ste_S said:

I’ve been re-watching Voyager from the start, and one of the things that drags it down is the Neelix/Kes relationship. There’s zero chemistry between the actors, and Neelix comes over as a creepy uncle more than anything else.

It reaches its nadir in S2E4 Elogium, which may be the worst episode of Star Trek. Horny space eels (who are trying to mate with Voyager) induce a premature mating cycle in Kes, who is revealed to be pre-pubescent. At one point it looks as though Neelix and Kes may actually get it on, which left me quite disturbed. Luckily they don’t.

Threshold:p

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Threshold:p

I think Threshold is actually better; as someone mentioned above, it’s actually a decent episode until it gets to the space slugs bit.

The absolute philistine in the flat opposite me has a welcome mat with that horrid little prick baby Yoda on it.

I want to get a Quark one so he sees it every time he goes out as a constant reminder of his 'Star Xxxx' inferiority.

20 hours ago, Haribokart said:

The absolute philistine in the flat opposite me has a welcome mat with that horrid little prick baby Yoda on it.

I want to get a Quark one so he sees it every time he goes out as a constant reminder of his 'Star Xxxx' inferiority.

As as far as merchandising goes, it’s an inspired idea. I would quite enthusiastically wipe my shoes on Baby Yoda’s face. 

Been rewatching the TOS films (aka the only six Trek films ever made, there weren’t any more). Much as TWOK is the best Trek film, I really prefer the Future NASA look of Starfleet in TMP over Nicholas Meyer’s Space Navy take with its naval style uniforms, fire extinguishers and no-smoking signs…

(Remember when TWOK and TSFS, particularly the latter, were considered a dark version Star Trek?)