The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

On 08/09/2022 at 20:30, layten said:

The Star Trek Day event is being live streamed on YouTube. The main event is about to start at 8:30pm.

Edit: No Kirk on the thumbnail? Really now? I know Shatner is a twat, but Kirk is one of the franchises most iconic characters.

the-simpsons-krusty-the-clown.gif

STAGGERINGLY SHIT!

WHAT are Paramount doing?

Watched an episode of Enterprise (the series just called Enterprise) for the first time since 2005, using the free month of Paramount+ I got from a packet of Wotsits(tm). It’s… Rather dated feeling. It was shot like the 1990s Trek, similar plot beats, similar barely-music music. Quite haphazardly lit in a way that did the sets no justice, because I can see how they were going for a utilitarian, cramped, submarine-ish look for the ship. But what really got me was how flat and wooden much of the acting was. I mean, all Trek series have patchiness of terms of the acting abilities of its main casts, however it was quite jarring here – always thought the guy playing the captain was totally miscast, and he seems utterly out of his depth, just bad.

13 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Watched an episode of Enterprise (the series just called Enterprise) for the first time since 2005, using the free month of Paramount+ I got from a packet of Wotsits(tm). It’s… Rather dated feeling. It was shot like the 1990s Trek, similar plot beats, similar barely-music music. Quite haphazardly lit in a way that did the sets no justice, because I can see how they were going for a utilitarian, cramped, submarine-ish look for the ship. But what really got me was how flat and wooden much of the acting was. I mean, all Trek series have patchiness of terms of the acting abilities of its main casts, however it was quite jarring here – always thought the guy playing the captain was totally miscast, and he seems utterly out of his depth, just bad.

The "series just called Enterprise" was renamed Star Trek: Enterprise after a while. I have no idea why they dropped it to start with.

I think it's alright overall though. It's certainly better than Discovery and Picard, and gets genuinely pretty great after season 2. Well, at least if you ignore the abominable finale.

Yeah I'd agree with that, Enterprise is a genuinely good show in its third and fourth seasons and even the first two seasons are better than TNG's or even DS9's first two years. If it had got the full seven seasons and continued the way it was going, it would have been much more fondly remembered.

It's very much in the 90s Trek mould in terms of production but at least it was shot in HD and 16:9. The theme tune is an abomination. It's definitely better than Discovery or Picard.

Like most Treks, it takes a couple of series to find its feet, but it never reaches the highs of TNG or DS9. I don't remember any of the episodes being amongst the very worst of Trek, but it's more consistently mediocre. I don't know whether it's Bakula's fault, the writers, or the directors, but Archer's character was all over the place to begin with, and even when it settled he just wasn't very good.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

The "series just called Enterprise" was renamed Star Trek: Enterprise after a while. I have no idea why they dropped it to start with.

It was because the show was supposed to be the Trek that people who didn't like sci-fi would watch. They really wanted a more general audience for it, and thought they would get it. The crew were more relatable! Closer to our time! They weren't in stuffy uniforms, they would be more relaxed! The tech lingo would be easier to understand! They were going to have rockets, not photon torpedoes! 

But these plans for a new audience didn't work at all, so re-adding 'Star Trek' for season 3 was a desperate attempt to get more viewers who used to watch the other shows but weren't watching this one. 😂

39 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah I'd agree with that, Enterprise is a genuinely good show in its third and fourth seasons and even the first two seasons are better than TNG's or even DS9's first two years. If it had got the full seven seasons and continued the way it was going, it would have been much more fondly remembered.

It's very much in the 90s Trek mould in terms of production but at least it was shot in HD and 16:9. The theme tune is an abomination. It's definitely better than Discovery or Picard.

That Azati Prime episode from season 3 is still a fucking banger. You genuinely think the Enterprise is toast at the end, it's a really exciting battle sequence.

I should rewatch S3, actually. Aside from the Xindi 'council' scenes, which are kinda embarrassing, it's great. And I preferred no-nonsense post-9/11 Archer.

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It was because the show was supposed to be the Trek that people who didn't like sci-fi would watch. They really wanted a more general audience for it, and thought they would get it.

That makes (sad) sense, and explains the, erm, radical theme tune as well.

39 minutes ago, revlob said:

I don't remember any of the episodes being amongst the very worst of Trek

"Precious Cargo" in S2 of Enterprise is probably in the 5 worst Trek episodes ever made, it's spectacularly bad. Then there's the infamous final episode which is a complete misfire, just on a conceptual level. There's nothing else in the show that is as bad as those two, though.

2 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It was because the show was supposed to be the Trek that people who didn't like sci-fi would watch. They really wanted a more general audience for it, and thought they would get it. The crew were more relatable! Closer to our time! They weren't in stuffy uniforms, they would be more relaxed! The tech lingo would be easier to understand! They were going to have rockets, not photon torpedoes! 

That’s exactly how I remember it too, the network trying to distance themselves from the Star Trek name, which was weird as Trek was still a recognisable brand, and the show we got wasn’t (as was promised early on) a radical departure from the ‘80s and ‘90s Trek, but mostly generic Trek, just with the familiar things given slightly different names. They really didn’t do the underlying concept of a Trek prequel justice at all, or often more than lip service, given how many stories were recycled from TNG/DS9/VOY. (I think having mostly bland cardboard cutout characters didn’t help either.)

13 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

"Precious Cargo" in S2 of Enterprise is probably in the 5 worst Trek episodes ever made, it's spectacularly bad. Then there's the infamous final episode which is a complete misfire, just on a conceptual level. There's nothing else in the show that is as bad as those two, though.

I guess I consider the series finale to be a panic move, made in a rush when the decision came to axe the show. Precious Cargo though, I don't have any excuses for that. You're right, it's awful. Was that one of the scripts they'd recycled from the original series? But even in the 60s it had no place in Star Trek.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...