IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

It was a rewrite of a script originally written for the abandoned Trek Phase II series in the 70s. There may be a few more episodes written from those scripts but thats the one well known to have come from that. Season 4's 'Devil's Due' is the other obvious one to come from Phase II's scripts.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Phase_II

Up to episode 19 of season 2 of my first foray into DS9 now. It's probably the first genuinely interesting episode for Dax (thankfully, she's Terry Farrell, so very easy on the eyes anyway). The blood oath with the three old Klingons from her previous life felt genuine, to the point where she disobeyed a direct order from Sisko. I think another part of it was that it was cool to see past their best Klingons going out in one last blaze of glory.

Hmm there's a bit of a difference in quality between S1 and S2, a few moments where I thought it just didn't seem as good quality. Reading a few reviews online it seems a lot of people are noticing the quality just isn't there, mainly it seems because of a different company doing the upgrade.

Hmm there's a bit of a difference in quality between S1 and S2, a few moments where I thought it just didn't seem as good quality. Reading a few reviews online it seems a lot of people are noticing the quality just isn't there, mainly it seems because of a different company doing the upgrade.

S1 is a bit ropey in places too, not in terms of the restoration but definitely in terms of picture quality. I watched Skin of Evil tonight and there were some shots that were simply out of focus (for instance Yar's close-ups on the conversation with Worf at the beginning). I guess that wasn't noticeable in SD, but it's very obvious in HD.

Of course the fact that Skin of Evil is one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever watched didn't exactly help.

There's a good write up on some of the S2 problems here, including an awful image crop for an effect:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25691/trek-tng-s2-blu-ray-hits-minor-controversy

Skin of Evil is probably THE best episode of S1 as it successfully ditches Tasha Yar :lol: Her death speech is so hilarious and I'm convinced Patrick Stewart was desperately trying to hold back the laughter as he read those lines.

I'm sad to say the work on S2 is pretty shocking and I can understand the complaints :( This is "Unnatural Selection" the 6th episode on the 2nd Blu Ray:

photo-47.jpg

The grain on show is awful, I'm watching on a 42" screen and that's a big chunk but I have access to a PS3 and 19" screen and its the same. I never saw anything like this throughout my watch of S1, this is pretty bad and it can be seen even on a casual watch. Very disappointed compared to S1 :( The previous episode on this disc didn't have any of this grain.

Grain is the detail of the film and should not be removed. (You literally cannot remove it without removing detail.) If it's more visible than it was in S1, it's either because of the film stock originally used (with larger granuals) or because of the darker scenes in these specific examples, or it's just more noticable in general because other shots surrounding it have been DNRd for FX work by the company involved (boo!).

Voyager is a slog. It seems to be going somewhere throughout all of the first season with the ship struggling to find supplies, the stories between Federation & Maquis mixing together etc. Then the second season begins and its just reset button galore after every single show, complete waste of time with the odd good episode but nothing of consequence. Shocking really as it was airing at around the same time as DS9 which is full of brilliant story arcs.

Enterprise is okay but the whole thing feels a bit tired. 4 seasons though so probably worth slogging through after you've seen the others.

Cheers, might skip Voyager for now, and go straight to Enterprise after DS9. Of the episodes of Voyager I've seen, I remember finding Neelix an intensely irritating character.

As for DS9, just watched the episode where Kira and Bashir end up in an alternate universe. Alternate Kira looked pretty hot!

Voyager is a slog. It seems to be going somewhere throughout all of the first season with the ship struggling to find supplies, the stories between Federation & Maquis mixing together etc. Then the second season begins and its just reset button galore after every single show, complete waste of time with the odd good episode but nothing of consequence. Shocking really as it was airing at around the same time as DS9 which is full of brilliant story arcs.

Year From Hell or whatever it was called is worth pulling out of the later seasons for its dedication to doing this right.

Voyager got worst as it went on. The reset button, neutering of the borg and relience of time travel (with reset buttons) got annoying. It's like they looked at why DS9 was working so well, and went "Well. We'll just ignore all that"

Having said that it still have some excellent episodes, so it might be worth finding a guide and just watching the best and skipping the rest. The status quo barely changes so you won't miss/ruin much

ENT - Same a Voyager in season 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are much more consistent and a huge improvement.

Not really, all it shows is just how good the show could become and when you get to the end its more upsetting to realise its back to the usual shit.

Edit. I was referring to Voyager and replying to Alex W on his Year in Hell post. Like a plonker I didn't hit the Quote button.

Not really, all it shows is just how good the show could become and when you get to the end its more upsetting to realise its back to the usual shit.

The TNG format isn't shit, though. I don't really care what Voyager could have been (season-long arcs and 'conflict' and stuff); I just like the stories. They did some excellent sci-fi.

Voyager did do some excellent stand alone stories but the problem was the Voyager structure was ripe for being a bit more creative and adventurous than the show we ended up with. It also doesn't help that the characters are, for the most part, very very bland which puts it on a lesser footing than the similarly structured TNG which at least had decent characters to back up the stand alone structure.

As others have suggested, it would be worth watching the good episodes of Voyager although if time is an issue I would suggest that you can skip a lot of the fluff which was produced.

The TNG format isn't shit, though. I don't really care what Voyager could have been (season-long arcs and 'conflict' and stuff); I just like the stories. They did some excellent sci-fi.

I was talking abuot an earlier post and Voyager, didn't hit quote. Stupid mistake :(

It also doesn't help that the characters are, for the most part, very very bland which puts it on a lesser footing than the similarly structured TNG which at least had decent characters to back up the stand alone structure.

Oh, absolutely.

That said, I would take most of Voyager's characters over Enterprise's crew of bland nothings.

Oh god yes. Enterprise's crew was rubbish. To the point where even though I watch nearly all the episodes, I can't remember most of their names (Super-forgetable Helmsman being the 'highlight').

It's pretty much like a ship full of Harry Kims :D

Voyager did have some fantastic episodes in its run. It's just a shame it had such tripe inbetween though.

I think it actually had strong characters as well (Seven, Doctor, Janeway [even if you disliked her], Tuvok) - but gosh darn it had some suckers (Chakototy. FUCK OFF WITH YOUR SPIRIT GUIDE. YOU'RE IN SPACE YOU HIPPY, Kim, Neelix)