IGNORED

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Wiper

My preference would be for an alternate timeline show, set around the time of the JJA movies.

That's simultaneously taking Trek back to where it began, where in-show technology has limits, without being bound to the established canon of the original timeline.

Technological limits like the ability to transport instantly to other planets without the need for starships, and cure death using magic blood? That's gonna make for some great drama!

I'm hoping that it will be post-TNG/Voy/DS9 era, but I also suspect they'll take the 'new' timeline from an aesthetic and historic perspective - they are after the movie audience afterall.

Always loved Startrek for it single story high concept episodes, so I hope they keep those (despite how that's fallen out of fashion now) - but, like DS9, have a long running background story arc. Maybe the breakdown of the Federation or something.

Ultimately though, they need to get the character right - as all good Trek has done. Enterprise's biggest failing was there was only really a couple of interesting characters. Voyager (for all the criticism levelled at it) had a fantastic crew (and the best Vulcan to grace any ST series in my opinion).

I'm pretty optimistic to be honest, some fresh blood writing the franchise is definitely needed.

I'm hoping that it will be post-TNG/Voy/DS9 era, but I also suspect they'll take the 'new' timeline from an aesthetic and historic perspective - they are after the movie audience afterall.

Always loved Startrek for it single story high concept episodes, so I hope they keep those (despite how that's fallen out of fashion now) - but, like DS9, have a long running background story arc. Maybe the breakdown of the Federation or something.

Ultimately though, they need to get the character right - as all good Trek has done. Enterprise's biggest failing was there was only really a couple of interesting characters. Voyager (for all the criticism levelled at it) had a fantastic crew (and the best Vulcan to grace any ST series in my opinion).

I'm pretty optimistic to be honest, some fresh blood writing the franchise is definitely needed.

I don't mind Voyager but fantastic crew? Slightly hit and miss I'd say.

Janeway, Doctor, Paris, Torres, Seven - all good although it went a bit Seven centric in later seasons.

Tuvok - Medium - good character given nothing to do.

Chokotay, Kim, Neelix, Kes - Poor.

I'd say DS9 had the best/most interesting crew. You're right tho, Enterprise was terribly bland in the crew department.

I was rather hoping for perhaps limited revival of TNG or of a combination of TNG/DS9/Voy crews for something like a ten part special to celebrate 50th anniversary next year. We've had Heroes, 24, Prison Break, X Files, I could do with a limited revival of TNG etc.

Sure, but the Alt universe is fucking ruined with transporters that make ships pointless to known destinations and Khan magic blood.

Actually, come to think of it, the transporter fuck-up could potentially be interesting.

Sure, but the Alt universe is fucking ruined with transporters that make ships pointless to known destinations and Khan magic blood.

Actually, come to think of it, the transporter fuck-up could potentially be interesting.

The original universe is ruined by Star Trek IV (and, like, five TOS episodes) showing that time travel is super easy and all you need is a spaceship to do it.

Don't worry too much about stuff like that.

Maybe they should do a third generation where the Federation and everyone else got completely stomped by an outside force, and it's a century on and they are re-emerging into an uncertain new galactic equilibrium. Resets the silly tech a bit, and there could be a mystery element about who the invaders were and where they went afterwards.

Maybe they should do a third generation where the Federation and everyone else got completely stomped by an outside force, and it's a century on and they are re-emerging into an uncertain new galactic equilibrium. Resets the silly tech a bit, and there could be a mystery element about who the invaders were and where they went afterwards.

Wasn't that... Andromeda?

It'll be called "The Next Next Generation".

So get the writers of Destiny in then?

I'd rather it be in the Prime universe and set it a few centuries in the future or something. Or the mirror universe, that would have been pretty amazing as well.

So after a couple of years, I've finally watched my way through all of ToS, TNG and DS9.

Just watched the final episode of DS9 this evening. I have to say whilst they are all amazing, I think that DS9 just beats the other two - especially the last 9 nine episodes of the final series. I prefer the writing when they are not limited to single episodes which I felt that DS9 had more of.

Is it worth investing my time in Voyager or should I move onto something else? I quite fancy giving Babylon 5 a go too. What do you think?

So after a couple of years, I've finally watched my way through all of ToS, TNG and DS9.

Just watched the final episode of DS9 this evening. I have to say whilst they are all amazing, I think that DS9 just beats the other two - especially the last 9 nine episodes of the final series. I prefer the writing when they are not limited to single episodes which I felt that DS9 had more of.

Is it worth investing my time in Voyager or should I move onto something else? I quite fancy giving Babylon 5 a go too. What do you think?

May as watch them all. Voyager had some excellent episodes - especially in the first season. I always felt Voyagers single episodes were stronger than DS9's. Without wanting to evoke the wrath of many Trekkies - I think I actually preferred Voyager to DS9.

Babylon 5 though. If you like Tesco value Trek, then I guess....