rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vemsie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Firaxis

cov_226_l.jpg

This is the announcement you've been waiting for: One of the most beloved strategy titles of all time re-imagined by one of the best strategy studios in the world. Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place.

Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified – but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

If you're lost, you can find out what all the fuss over the original X-COM is in the in-depth Classic GI feature we printed a few months ago (now available online for the first time), which includes rare insight from series creator Julian Gollop.

The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more.

In addition, the February issue has our lengthy love letter to the top 50 games of 2011, an exclusive look at new Mass Effect 3 details, and the final word on Final Fantasy XIII-2 along with all the usual goodies.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx
  • Upvote 2

I like this thread, but I also like Marrakoosh's thread. But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

I like this thread, but I also like Marrakoosh's thread. But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

I feel my opening gambit set the tone well.

19_harryhillfight.gif

• Upvote 1

Wonder what's going to happen to the other X-Com game in development hell. Assuming it isn't quietly canned (which is quite possible). Surely they'll not release two games with virtually identical titles around the same time confusing the blue hell out of the general market who probably haven't even heard of X-Com before. Presumably they'll just rename the FPS since it appeared to have sweet Fanny Adams to do with X-Com beyond having aliens in it anyway.

Franchise whoring. Not impressed.

I'm not really fussed whether it's franchise whoring or not (and I'm not even sure XCOM carries enough weight for them to bother these days) - I'm more concerned as to whether it's going to be any good. The more recent XCOM/UFO games have felt really naff and half arsed - were they even connected, I can't remember..

You need to be able to enter buildings, and blow them up at the very least.

YES!!!!! I will cum all over this. And again and again. I've played imitators (UFO Alien Invasion (an open source version), UFO Aftermath series, then UFO Extraterrestrials which is basically a well made fan version of it), but what I've always really wanted is an updated sexed up version of the original.

Surprising announcement, have they fired the guy in charge of publishing at 2K or something?, as he was last quoted as saying these sorts of games were no longer viable or contemporary :P

I'm not really fussed whether it's franchise whoring or not (and I'm not even sure XCOM carries enough weight for them to bother these days) - I'm more concerned as to whether it's going to be any good. The more recent XCOM/UFO games have felt really naff and half arsed - were they even connected, I can't remember..

This one is made by Firaxis games, makers of the awesome Civ series. Hopefully this means a more detailed Geoscape and strategy game!

2K Marin FPS won't get canned. They'll release both. Everyone will buy Firaxis' and not 2K Marin's.

Favourite game ever to be re-made. WOOT WOOT.

You need to be able to enter buildings, and blow them up at the very least.

I'm a big x-com fan, I want this game to be good. But considering we live in the age of zero innovation......chances are slim.

• Upvote 1

Really hope the fans get the game they want from this. For me personally I'm more interested in the FPS simply because I don't really get on with pure strategy games. I repeatedly try but just can't get into them for some reason.

I'm a big x-com fan, I want this game to be good. But considering we live in the age of zero innovation......chances are slim.

It's Firaxis! When have they ever made a shallow game? I can't believe people are negative about this, we have a AAA developer billed with the task of remaking a classic game.

• Upvote 2

This news, the new Journey footage and the news that Hideki Kamiya will reveal his new game this year: 2012 is off to a great start. :)

Wonder what's going to happen to the other X-Com game in development hell. Assuming it isn't quietly canned (which is quite possible). Surely they'll not release two games with virtually identical titles around the same time confusing the blue hell out of the general market who probably haven't even heard of X-Com before.

Surely this is a PSN/XBLA jobby? And there'll be the FPS one store shelves and this'll be free if you pre-order, like Space Marine and Kill Team, and other IP cross-promotional jobbies of that nature?

It's Firaxis! When have they ever made a shallow game? I can't believe people are negative about this, we have a AAA developer billed with the task of remaking a classic game.

While I agree, the civ versions in consoles were really not that deep. If they keep the PC civ approach, then I'm happy.

Haha, I love you guys. Every fucking generation, you spout the same old shite.

• Upvote 5

Yes! If there is one game I'd like to see remade, it's the original X-com. The game is still great, but the interface in particular is so horribly dated, it really needs an overhaul.

We've had some attempts at remakes in recent years ranging from terrible to decent with that other UFO series, but surely Firaxis is the right developer for the job when it comes to the proper remake.

Just don't make it semi-realtime or somesuch nonsense. Give us proper turn-based, tactical combat (I'm guessing this would suit a controller better as well).

Haha, I love you guys. Every fucking generation, you spout the same old shite.

Yeah right, "same old shite".

Battlefield 3, COD 3, Mass effect 3, another zelda game, another Mario game, and now another XCOM game.

Can you say remakes and sequels?

ZERO INNOVATION.

Yeah right, "same old shite".

Battlefield 3, COD 3, Mass effect 3, another zelda game, another Mario game, and now another XCOM game.

Can you say remakes and sequels?

ZERO INNOVATION.

I wouldn't put Zelda/Mario in the same group as CoD or BF.

And this is...what... 15 years since the original? Even the use of a different engine is fucking innovative for this remake.

Speaking for myself, I would be overjoyed if the innovation in this game was restricted to modern graphics, a more user-friendly interface, and... that's basically it. Even if all the other mechanics were exactly the same as the original XCOM, I'd be in hog heaven.

• Upvote 1