IGNORED

Times You Got It Wrong

Harsin

I was in absolute hysterics when the Wii's name was announced, convinced that Nintendo had lost its mind. There was no chance of the console ever succeeding, given that it would be forever associated with piss.

Same here, and I also remember thinking they had lost the plot with the controller. I'm still half convinced I'm right on both cases.

I thought the 3DS would flatline due to it's overpricing and rubbish launch games.

Shows you what a price cut and Mariokart can do mind.

I kinda laughed a bit when Sony announced their PSX console, probably mostly because they'd "betrayed" Nintendo by pulling out of their planned CD-ROM based collaboration console. At the time, I only saw Nintendo and SEGA as capable of making successful consoles. If only I knew how wrong I was, maybe I'd be a lot less cocky about stating "mark my words, Sony is going down" to my mates :(

My biggest shame is Batman AA. I thought all the room to room stuff was going to be dull. Clear this room. Then this one. It's a room! Another room! How dull. It just sounded like a load of boring arse to me. All "too tight" and repetitive. It wasn't ever going to hold my hauty interest. :sherlock:

I then bought a new PC and AA came with the graphics card. I thought I'd give it a go and was instantly transfixed. What a game. The tight nature of the game suited it - yet it wasn't tighty tight, there was still enough space in the rooms to swing a bat. A truly wonderful movement mechanic with a brilliant fighting system layered on top.

That it was dripping in atmosphere was another decisive factor, everything seemed juuuuust right goldilocks.jpg

More than this was the feeling that you were the Batman. And that perhaps is it's greatest achievement - it was empowering like nothing else before it. I'd never felt so badass in a game.

:hat: to Rocksteady for concocting and delivering one of the best action games ever, on any system. It makes the more recent Tomb Raider games (rooms, puzzles, enemies) look stale and laughable.

I took one look at the PSP and declared it the winner against the DS

I thought HD-DVD would emerge victorious against Blu Ray

:facepalm:

Out of Man City and Man Utd who do you think will win the Premier League?

I bought a PS3 assuming it to be the host of a plethora of exotic Japanese software that I could import and enjoy, much like the PS2 in it's day.

In reality, fuck all...with the exception of Demon's Souls of course!

I bought a US Wii assuming that I will be importing a whole range of amazing games not available or heavy delayed in Europe.

Instead most things came out in europe first! (or only - Xenoblade) and import prices went through the roof after the recession.

I thought the ps3 would be hands-down more powerful than the 360 - turns out they're both roughly the same, with different strengths and weaknesses.

I also thought that Sony would eventually get software PS2 BC rolled out to all PS3's

If anything the Xbox has won out. More impressive across multi format games, and still the case when looking at latest blockbusters like Skyrim.

People seemed to forget about the PS2 BC debacle; Sony were rather shitty about that one.

The Xbox live service has been far superior to the PS3 stuff (Home)...Lovefilm is a bit better on the PS3 though? Saved!

I feel I was half fooled into buying a Master System. I used to play on my brother's mates a bit and all we played was Golfamana, which I really liked at the time, and Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap.

The latter effectively single handedly sold me the system. I thought "All the games will be this good".

Oops.

I thought online gaming would fire a death. No one would play online for any length of time, so stuff like mmorpgs were just pointless. This was in the days of dialup though.

Not me, exactly, but:

Way back when I worked in games, I wrote a design doc for a squad-based shooter, where players would get their equipment before each mission from a selection of real-life weapons, would be kilted by one our two hits and would be our once they were dead - no respawning. I went through the doc with the head of design at a sheffield based publisher / developer, who told me "it's not quake,.people like quake. No one would play this". About a year later Counter-strike came out and I felt like going back to him and saying "it's not quake, so why are people playing it?" (note: I an not claiming to have invented Counter-strike, I just had the same idea around the same time)

Chalk me up as another who went with HD-DVD over Blu-Ray. I now have a HD-DVD drive sat gathering dust in the loft, in the extremely vain hope that it may be worth more than 10p in the future! :unsure:

Also add Steel Battallion to the list. Paid over £100 for it on release, played it a couple of times, felt a bit silly, put it up the loft (recurring theme appearing) and dropped it down the stairs whilst moving house! :facepalm:

Oh and inadvertantly becoming a paying Beta tester for Final Fantasy 14 when it was first released in a totally unfinished state!

I was one of the crowd during the original Xbox's reveal saying how it was "just a PC".

Then after getting pissed waiting for the Gamecube to arrive, I decided to buy a launch day Xbox. I loved it. PGR was just :wub:.

To be fair to everyone who suspected the Xbox might be 'Dreamcast 2', Smilebit were heavily involved in the early releases: Gun Valkyrie, JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta. PGR was 'Metropolis Street Racer 2' don't forget. All the early release coverage seemed to emphasise that the western lineup was pap, and the good stuff was coming out of Japan.

Is it too much of a stretch to say that Halo saved it from commercial failure? Probably, but I think it helped guide devs in the right direction and to identify the market.

I feel I was half fooled into buying a Master System. I used to play on my brother's mates a bit and all we played was Golfamana, which I really liked at the time, and Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap.

The latter effectively single handedly sold me the system. I thought "All the games will be this good".

Oops.

I hope you aren't implying the MS was a bad choice, Dinobot...

To be fair to everyone who suspected the Xbox might be 'Dreamcast 2', Smilebit were heavily involved in the early releases: Gun Valkyrie, JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta. PGR was 'Metropolis Street Racer 2' don't forget. All the early release coverage seemed to emphasise that the western lineup was pap, and the good stuff was coming out of Japan.

Is it too much of a stretch to say that Halo saved it from commercial failure? Probably, but I think it helped guide devs in the right direction and to identify the market.

I hope you aren't implying the MS was a bad choice, Dinobot...

No! I loved my Master System and without it I wouldn't have enjoyed Wonderboy. Sonic was brilliant too - far more of an adventure than the MD version, it's slower pace suited exploration far the more.

HOWEVER. Because I believed all the games would be like WB3 I was slightly narked. Not a lot, yet I thought everything would be as epic. Buying Rocky for 40 notes and then seeing it completed/not much to it was one of those times when I was a bit <_<

I genuinely thought Little Big Planet would be huge. But there's just so much that let it down:

-irritating physics. Whilst this was massively improved in the sequel to 'way past acceptable', but I guess the damage was done in the first one.

-not-easy-to-use edit mode. It's a massive chore to get into the groove of making a level, and the plethora of options available easily overwhelm.

-wading through mountains of shit to find the gold. There are some unbelievably brilliant levels in the game, with some ideas few people could have initially conceived. It's incredibly difficult to find these levels though due to the GET 1,000,000 ORBS IN THIS LEVEL!! stages. Fuck you, you who make those levels.

-late Move implementation. The game was mostly dead at this stage, but there was some amazing stuff in the Move pack. Well too late, though.

Also, LBP2 was a bit of a let down in that so many levels were just tepid or dull (like the factory or Avalonia levels), especially sitting alongside some really enjoyable levels. It could have been great.

Ohh you bitch where did you dig that up from? :)

In fairness the novelty soon wore off.. and there was a hell of a lot of justifying the purchase to myself. In hindsight there were MUCH better things to spend the cash on.

It wasn't 10/10 this guy was crazy apparently. I took him to task about this review on the NTSC forums and he got more defensive than the French in the first world war.

It wasn't 10/10 this guy was crazy apparently. I took him to task about this review on the NTSC forums and he got more defensive than the French in the first world war.

Ahh I thought you'd dug out an ancient post of mine where I was probably singing the games praises!

But yeah remember him well, there were quite a few that were pretty "passionate" about it back in the day.