rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

Why would you rent an Amiibo?

EDIT : That was a joke but actually given a lot of them unlock things but are only needed once that's not actually the dumbest idea.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Why have Game stopped selling Amibos anyway ?

They still sell them. They usually have next to no stock though.

They expect you to preorder Amiibos before release(!), and don’t get any to place on the shop shelves afterwards.

Spain has CeX as well as Game, oddly enough.

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Spain has CeX as well as Game, oddly enough.

CEX operate in loads of countries. They retreated from the US but have shops in half of Europe and such far flung places as Mexico, India and Australia. I think they just sell the master franchise for a country to anyone who has the money to pay for it.

• Upvote 1

The last time I checked Game had more cash on their balance sheet than their market capitalisation and their leases are very short in length. So you could effectively buy it for nothing, and manage the decline.

Mike Ashley? I think the definitive answer to the question in the thread title is “yes”.

What difference does Mike Ashley make? It’s already a business run with absolute contempt for it’s customers, trying to scam them out of money in any way possible. It literally couldn’t get worse.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

15 minutes ago, Broker said:

What difference does Mike Ashley make? It’s already a business run with absolute contempt for it’s customers, trying to scam them out of money in any way possible. It literally couldn’t get worse.

Mike Ashley: Hold my beer slave.

• Upvote 3

They sell cans of coke for nearly two pounds. If anything, the sports direct model of selling whatever you can as cheap as possible makes a lot more sense long term than games plan of selling everything over RRP but offering that by being total cunts.

• Upvote 3

Venerable Glasgow indie Gforce is shutting down. If they're going, the Game a few doors down will be quickly behind them.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

Venerable Glasgow indie Gforce is shutting down. If they're going, the Game a few doors down will be quickly behind them.

That's a shame, but not unexpected . Probably expensive rent where is main store was. Quite often very expensive for some titles and really cheap for others. The imports he used to bring in probably won't do a lot anymore due to everyone being able to get what they need online. I also remember him doing really weird choices like selling R4 cards back in the day. Never made sense to me. Sell someone a console and the means to have them never come back for more games. 

Someone on twitter said their footfall had plummeted recently which is interesting. Probably partly the lack of exciting releases this year, but Union Street is just weird and shitty now. 

They've had the same rack of animé vita games at 30 quid each for about 3 years. 

I like/liked popping in for curios but the staff were never very friendly, not a place you'd go to specifically because you like it in there, which is death in modern retail. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Always a shame to see an indie close.

On 06/06/2019 at 09:07, Broker said:

They sell cans of coke for nearly two pounds. If anything, the sports direct model of selling whatever you can as cheap as possible makes a lot more sense long term than games plan of selling everything over RRP but offering that by being total cunts.

He might make GAME more competitive price wise.  Maybe eyeing up the opportunity of £££ from next-gen in 2020. Problem is hardware is low margin so expect to have to buy a pair of socks and a mug.

• Upvote 2

I would expect a Mike Ashley-owned Game to close all of its expensive high street stores and relocate to sitting in branches of Sports Direct and Debenhams.

Definitely not Debenhams, they hate him. 

Game used to have concessions in Debenhams, years ago, I remember playing a Crazy Taxi port in there. 

It’s House of Fraser that Sports Direct own, but yeah I can see them shifting Game shops into House of Fraser and larger Sports Direct shops.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, replicant said:

RIP Game.

HOW?! They literally couldn’t be any worse.

Was Game the company that held more cash than their company value, and very short lease agreements? If so, I could see this being an opportunity for Ashley to buy a high Street brand at a low cost, to relocate into his other existing retail stores.

29 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

Was Game the company that held more cash than their company value, and very short lease agreements? 

Yes to both. Agreed on shifting into his other shops where there’s excess space.