rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

Maybe he's planning on opening up department stores where every department is a concession. 

Some are making a big deal of this, but my understanding is that Game no longer take in PS3 and 360, and I can't remember buying a current gen game that came with more than a leaflet. 

• Upvote 2

I remember opening a magazine in a dentist waiting room and it was full of bits of skunk, enough for a spliff nearly!

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I got a good trade in deal at Game yesterday, was a bit surprised. 

Yeah - they're giving an extra 25% if you pre-order anything in store. I got £37 for Yoshi on the Switch - which was a lot more than I expected.

I loved that dentist, he was always very chilled. He's now retired and travelling the world in a campervan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Yeah - they're giving an extra 25% if you pre-order anything in store. I got £37 for Yoshi on the Switch - which was a lot more than I expected.

Yeah the girl said if I couldn't think of something to pre-order she'd put through a fake one so I'd get the offer. I thought they charged a fiver or something for pre-orders, but apparently not. Fair enough. I said to pre-orders Doom Eternal but I probably won't take it up unless I have stuff to trade then too. 

Got something like 40 quid for a load of old tat.

• Upvote 1

Game already helped ruin a generation of physical games by using marker pen to write numbers on cases, manuals and discs during the PS2 era.

I imagine they'll recycle the manuals?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr Combo Breaker said:

if you count ripping them up for roaches, yes

I hope that's not the case.

I have nothing but disdain for Game, from successfully helping kill my local indie Videogame shop, screwing me over numerous times on returns, high prices, destroying a whole generation of physical games and general skulduggery over the years.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Just now, deerokus said:

What games still have manuals? 

Rockstar games, like GTA and Red Dead Redemption.

2 hours ago, Wools said:

I imagine they'll recycle the manuals?

:lol: As if. This is the company that had it as policy that any stock related stuff that went into the bin had to be destroyed so people wouldn't be encouraged to take it out of the skip out the back.

I remember we got an email that we had to bin a load of GameWare branded stuff. It was made very clear that we had to cut cables off controllers, snap disks, tear up manuals and break off as much as we could before putting items in the skip.

• Empathy 2

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

:lol: As if. This is the company that had it as policy that any stock related stuff that went into the bin had to be destroyed so people wouldn't be encouraged to take it out of the skip out the back.

I remember we got an email that we had to bin a load of GameWare branded stuff. It was made very clear that we had to cut cables off controllers, snap disks, tear up manuals and break off as much as we could before putting items in the skip.

I assume what you actually did was put the items in your car.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Isn't this to do with tax? I remember reading recently that one of the fashion brands, possibly Burbury, burned literally millions of pounds worth of unsold stock because even if they gave it away, they'd have to pay the tax on it.

3 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Isn't this to do with tax? I remember reading recently that one of the fashion brands, possibly Burbury, burned literally millions of pounds worth of unsold stock because even if they gave it away, they'd have to pay the tax on it.

We could have still just binned it. I remember it being drilled into us that anything stock / gaming related that went into the bin had to be destroyed so no public would be tempted to go through the bins out back and take it.

6 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/burberry-burns-stock-designer-clothing-fashion-industry-environment-a8454671.html

Seems like it's about maintaining the brand's status. 

I can understand Game not wanting to attract gamers to their bins for various reasons, to be honest. There are few groups that are as fanatical and as cost/price/value sensitive as gamers. If word got out, there'd be a crowd of hotukdeal posters gathered at the Wheely bins from 4.45 on a Saturday.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Seems like it's about maintaining the brand's status. 

To which I retort.... GameWare.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, footle said:

To which I retort.... GameWare.

Sorry, I wasn't claiming that Gameware was a prestige brand, I was replying to @ScouserInExile 's musing on taxation and disposal of assets. 

On 08/06/2019 at 22:13, Mr Tony said:

That's a shame, but not unexpected . Probably expensive rent where is main store was. Quite often very expensive for some titles and really cheap for others. The imports he used to bring in probably won't do a lot anymore due to everyone being able to get what they need online. I also remember him doing really weird choices like selling R4 cards back in the day. Never made sense to me. Sell someone a console and the means to have them never come back for more games. 

I dont have much good things to say about G-Force and im not suprised they are closing. The Motherwell branch closed a number of years ago as well because of the ridiculous pricing.

Although the "Closing down sale and Everything must go" is hilarious as i was in the other day there and they basically had no good deals whatsoever.

Yeah they were always a bit of a last resort for me where I knew I'd be paying over the odds. Never really forgave them for selling me a 'new' copy of Mario Kart DS with their wifi details saved on it.

• Empathy 2

They used to be cheaper than Game et al but ended up dearer. I'd still go there now and again as they were more likely to have even slightly obscure stuff than Game (had to traipse around the city to find a physical copy of Judgment the other day because they're gone). Although latterly that meant shelves upon shelves of weird animé shit.