rllmuk
sandman

Is "Game" finished?

1 hour ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

I dont have much good things to say about G-Force and im not suprised they are closing. The Motherwell branch closed a number of years ago as well because of the ridiculous pricing.

Not sure if it was that branch or another, but they did lose one due to thefts etc a few years ago. The manager and a staff member were emptying the till and on the take of stock. After it was discovered they closed the store instead of hiring new staff and essentially starting again with it.

22 hours ago, deerokus said:

What games still have manuals? 

I would say fighting games, because of special move commands and system explanation, but even that was deemed unnecessary towards the end of last-gen. :( At least tutorials in fighters are getting better...

At least they’re not calling it “manual protection” (i.e. protecting you from it) and trying to charge you a quid for it. 

Best find in Game for me was Ninja 5-0 for £7.99

Never heard of it but it was a platformer by Hudson Soft, what could go wrong?

• Upvote 2

2005! I don't have any others. Dress up for GUN release i.e any excuse not to wear the gamestation potato sack uniform. A high quality effort by all :lol:

71145446_10157360426745803_2228712655072

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

2005! I don't have any others. Dress up for GUN release i.e any excuse not to wear the gamestation potato sack uniform. A high quality effort by all :lol:

71145446_10157360426745803_2228712655072

Thats where i bought my first three final fantasy games from. I remember the 2 on the left but dont recall the rest of you, i was only 14 back in 04 though so dont remember much of those years tbh

Ha that's Stu on the far left, he had just turned 30 so was like a 'proper old geezer' compared to the rest of us. Note he's smoking indoors, pre smoking ban ! Rob, Me, and Charlie, were all the same age at 20 and Jim (weird al yankovic double) was 18. I bought him his first legal pint.

We were all just kids really. Best first job you could hope for

• Upvote 5

Aside from financially, I genuinely believe that I will never have a job as good as working at Gamestation again. Nothing has come close - pretty sure @Floshenbarnical will be with me on that one. I miss managing that store, I miss my staff, the stock, the strange variety of customers, the events, the success we all made of the place, our area manager (who knew the shit we all got up to but turned a blind eye cos he liked us because we were as fucking good at our jobs as he was at his) and I miss the culture which the company fostered.

I count myself lucky that I left just as Game took over so didn’t get to see the decline first hand.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Ha that's Stu on the far left, he had just turned 30 so was like a 'proper old geezer' compared to the rest of us. Note he's smoking indoors, pre smoking ban ! Rob, Me, and Charlie, were all the same age at 20 and Jim (weird al yankovic double) was 18. I bought him his first legal pint.

We were all just kids really. Best first job you could hope for

I think he worked there for a little while when it was game to didn't he?

The only thing I can truly remember about that place through my hormonal teenage years is that quite a few good looking women worked there :lol:

I think for most people their first job is one of their best, it's usually your entry level job with less expectations and you could get away with things a bit more. My first was the wetherspoons kitchen down merry hill and my god that was a laugh ^_^

Yeah he did, I've lost touch with him now but he was there at least until 2015.

I left Merry Hill in 2007 to open Stourbridge, then I went from there to Halesowen, Walsall and Kidderminster in less than two years. I got fed up of them moving me around and left just before Modern Warfare 2 came out. Almost 10 years to the day.

Blimey, I was only in there On Friday. 

I used to work in the other one between 1999-2003 but much preferred to shop in GS once I no longer had staff discount. Was gutted when it turned in to another Game but if I ever need to do trades I still went there. 

Maybe someone should re-name the thread until it's actually finished, had a stake through the heart and its ashes scattered over holy ground Dracula-style. It's 8 years and it's still shambling on like something out of an 80s schlockfest.

• Upvote 1

I was only thinking the other week it was werid Merry Hill still had 2 stores. Years ago it was common to have 2 or even 4 stores in the same shopping centre but now you wouldn't find that. Even odder that it was the downstairs store that originally closed during the last administration and then got reopened.

I would go to the Gamestation high street store in Eltham years ago on a regular basis.  Staff were superb, real gamers and just loved the vibe in the store.  

On 01/10/2019 at 21:02, Haribokart said:

Aside from financially, I genuinely believe that I will never have a job as good as working at Gamestation again. Nothing has come close - pretty sure @Floshenbarnical will be with me on that one. I miss managing that store, I miss my staff, the stock, the strange variety of customers, the events, the success we all made of the place, our area manager (who knew the shit we all got up to but turned a blind eye cos he liked us because we were as fucking good at our jobs as he was at his) and I miss the culture which the company fostered.

I count myself lucky that I left just as Game took over so didn’t get to see the decline first hand.

It was good craic that’s for sure. Probably the worst paid job I’ve ever had in my life. It was like a bubble of arrested development where we just fucked about constantly. Do you remember that time I hid your coat in an Xbox box and put it on the wall with the rest of the consoles. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Yeah he did, I've lost touch with him now but he was there at least until 2015.

I left Merry Hill in 2007 to open Stourbridge, then I went from there to Halesowen, Walsall and Kidderminster in less than two years. I got fed up of them moving me around and left just before Modern Warfare 2 came out. Almost 10 years to the day.

Looking at those photos, I recognise you!

I always used to go to Gamestation in Merry Hell, and I live in Stourbridge so god knows how many games you will have sold to me over the years!

Gamestation in Stourbridge is now a CEX, yes?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Looking at those photos, I recognise you!

I always used to go to Gamestation in Merry Hell, and I live in Stourbridge so god knows how many games you will have sold to me over the years!

Gamestation in Stourbridge is now a CEX, yes?

I also live in Stourbridge and can confirm, it's a CEX. Talking of Merry Hill, they used to have the Game in Debenhams as well. Bought my Gameboy SP and Pokemon Sapphire. Great times. 

I don't ever go in Game Merry Hill anymore, never a pleasant experience. Especially the downstairs one.

- Walk in shop, get jumped on by numerous staf members asking if I came In the store for anything in particular. I know they're told to do it but getting interrupted every couple of minutes while browsing is extremely off putting. 

- Check the games and see every game is overpriced. Obviously.

- If I do decide to buy something, I get asked about 5 questions before completing the purchase. Last time they explained to me how easy it was to break a Switch game. 

So yeah the same experience as pretty much everybody in this thread before me. I much prefer CEX, even though i know not everybody would agree. 

16 hours ago, Haribokart said:

Retail can be amazing fun when you have good colleagues and customers. I loved my time managing Tandy in Stourbridge. 

20 hours ago, Down by Law said:

warning : cringe photo :doh:

2007 me at 'work'  

71819437_10157360295900803_7398213495302

Nice set of guns.  How much did you bench press back in the day? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Loki.7 said:

Nice set of guns.  How much did you bench press back in the day? 

It'll be hulking around the ridiculous boxes of delivery that used to turn up.

God, I miss working for GS.

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

Nice....   you get to bang many customers? 

3 hours ago, Loki.7 said:

Yeah i married one lol

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

We laugh, but then you remember how heavy launch 360s and PS3s were. No joke getting 60 boxes containing 2 machines in 1 box at xmas and lugging them up a flight of stairs from the service yard !

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Loki.7 said:

Technically, I went out with another member of staff in my GAME days.

17 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

We laugh, but then you remember how heavy launch 360s and PS3s were. No joke getting 60 boxes containing 2 machines in one at xmas and lugging them up a flight of stairs from the service yard !

Them OG PS3s were an absolute joke of a console! In my store the stockroom was two massive flights of stairs from the shop floor!

On 01/10/2019 at 22:04, Down by Law said:

warning : cringe photo :doh:

2007 me at 'work'  

71819437_10157360295900803_7398213495302

Jack Bauer, yesterday.

The picture even has the 24 clock in the top left. 

• Upvote 3