Video game retailers

How much would I likely get for this lot

Have a look at this HUKD thread, a fair few of your games are listed there. You want the second and third posts on the first page, though some have come down slightly by 50p or £1.

For the unlisted DS ones that aren't Nintendo published like Meteos expect around a fiver, that's what I received for most of my old DS games the other day.

They might take US DS games at their discretion (they won't scan so it's whether they can be arsed looking it up manually) but they won't take Japanese games. Same with the bundled Gears, their discretion, your mileage will depend on how many they have and whether they feel they can sell it.

They might take US DS games at their discretion (they won't scan so it's whether they can be arsed looking it up manually) but they won't take Japanese games. Same with the bundled Gears, their discretion, your mileage will depend on how many they have and whether they feel they can sell it.

They won't take US (or Australian) DS games - tried that at two different stores, both times said that was because of region-locking. :facepalm:

Have a look at this HUKD thread, a fair few of your games are listed there. You want the second and third posts on the first page, though some have come down slightly by 50p or £1.

For the unlisted DS ones that aren't Nintendo published like Meteos expect around a fiver, that's what I received for most of my old DS games the other day.

Thanks, that list is really handy. £15 Mass Effect and GTA IV..£21 for GTA Episodes from Liberty City..I think had I'd known about this deal and seen that list earlier I would have bought a few cheap games and re sold them.

I'll keep Ouendan. I don't even own a ds anymore. Mirrors Edge is another game I've seen people list that I could never give away.

I can always listen to the music in Sonic Rush on Youtube.

Sorry, you were comparing GAME to an online-only retailer so naturally I compared to the online part of GAME. You can't get store credit at Amazon so to me it feels like an apple and oranges statement.

Actually this isn't true. You can trade in games to Amazon that credit your account with funds that you can spend on games or whatever you want from them.

Here you go. I'm not saying its indicative of the service in any way but I would always rather trade in to a physical store than an online one.

av-16533.png Posted by Red Alignment on 14 April 2012 - 01:25 PM in Discussion

snapback.pngSuper Craig, on 14 April 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

You should try Music Magpie.I don't trust 'em. Sent of some CDs last year, and the most valuable ones "mysteriously" disappeared, i.e. they denied ever receiving them. Despite said CDs being packaged in the same box as the crappy worth-50p ones.

Same thing happened when I used Amazon's game trade-in service, in fact...A single box of games was sent off, yet the most valuable game in the package I was told never arrived. Basically: from my experience, don't trust trade-in services where you have to post off your items.

The amazon trade in service is not managed by amazon, it is a third party. I assume that amazon take a percentage. This is why it can be problematic. I have sent off perfectly good games, to have them returned due to being damaged. When they returned, they were in perfect condition as I had sent them in. The reality is that they weren't happy with the price that they were offering for the trade in.

None of this behaviour is really different to game of course but at least you can see the whites of their eyes when they refuse at game.

In case it helps anyone this is what I traded in:

Batman Arkham City - £22.90

Wii

All Star Cheerleaders - £4.40

Samba Di Amigo - £3.90

DS

Night at the Museum - £6.40

Animal Crossing - £13.40

Viva Pinata - £5.90

My Sims Kingdom - £6.40

Professor Layton & the Curious Village - £15.40

Pokemon Link - £7.40

Total: £86.10 :D

Oh and the receipt from Gamestation actually came on GAME till paper, I presume left over from the GAME store that closed sown round the corner. Guess they are really saving those pennies.

bought 34 quid of tat at cex and got 82 for it, got presents for the kids and the misses to balance out the bad karma :P

to note prices went down yesterday from saturday, minmum price seems to be 50 pence now so 3.90 on the receipt.

Also of note in the belfast flagship store they had moved the sign advertising the trade in deal.

While I was there yesterday a guy came in with a suitcase of blueray movies, the receipt he got for the trade ins was literally 2 meters tall.

Wonder how much he got?

oh PS new member, do you work at game HQ? (it is ok, you can come clean)

Yes, the article I just posted does say completion of the deal will be in February.

There you go then.

One person's experience doesn't mean Amazon is bad - they take trade-ins (then you moved the goalposts). If you get more online, then you'd trade online - just like when prices are lower online.. we buy online.

Prices of what games got what on request, and I bought the new 320gb Star Wars Ltd Edition Kinect 360 :D

I've finally got an HD 360!

Funny this is what i am going to do. Trade in my aging 360 plus a load of games.

You guys here may just buy hardware and virtual currency but you are not an exact representation of the games buying public that GAME targets.

No shit, but we are a much closer representation of the kind of people that are rinsing this offer for maximum benefit. A large proportion of the tat that is being traded in for stupid sums will be traded by people who are very savvy about the value of games. That's why the stuff is being traded in in the first place. No one is saying that GAME are stupid for offering decent trade in prices. They are stupid for paying way over the odds for dead stock that they cannot possibly hope to make anything like their money back on, if they manage to shift it at all.

The argument that it's worthwhile because it generates goodwill is nonsense. When the people clearing CEX's shelves of 49p specials to decuple their money on next have games to trade, they aren't going to go to GAME just because they gave them silly prices on a promotion which has ceased. They'll trade them wherever they'll get good value.

But I guess you're being paid to big up GAME in this thread, so whatever.

It could also be a great way to get more credit from the banks. They do this and tell the banks they now have x amount of stock in their stores and also a huge amount in credit out there waiting to be spent in the store.

What? You think banks are more likely to lend a company money if they have a large amount of outstanding debt elsewhere?

• TehStu changed the title to Video game retailers