IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

I'm pretty sure not publishing trade in prices is a conscious decision on their part.

They *want* you to be stood at the counter when they offer you a pittance as you are far more likely to just take it at that point.

Interestingly the "we beat anyone by £1" is now available in Game rather than just Gamestation which is an improvement, though they always look very disappointed when you ask them to price match CEX. £36 vs £25 for Black Ops 2 for example.

They do publish their prices online now though...

I agree on the crappiness of removing direct phone access to the store; although I wouldn't have minded back when I worked there. Oh, the joys of 'Game, Lancaster, where you can now preorder......., Stephen speaking, how can I help you - oh, they've gone."

But, I would like to comment on some quality customer service today in the ex-GS in Lancaster (and no, this wasn't by anybody who knew I used to work there since that was 6 years ago now). I was trading in Darksiders 2, having checked the price online (£14.60 oddly). Having bought it from Game for less than 20 quid that price was fine. Upon taking it to the counter, the lass sold me a 400point Live card which increased the overall trade by a third - meaning I got an extra couple of quid and the 400 points. This is the sort of customer focused service that I remember being the norm back in the olden days and I was pleasantly surprised. The company still make shocking decisions, but the animosity often delivered to the individuals that "represent" them in the shops is not the way to respond.

Having said that, I didn't buy anything as most of their prices are so high; instead the value is going towards a Kinect for the kids at Christmas.

I think it's a fairly basic customer expectation to be able to call the store directly and to be able to talk to someone. When I worked at Game we always managed it but that was in the days before the scripted value-add shite they have to do nowadays. Maybe if the staff were allowed to just serve customers normally without all the time consuming up-selling it would leave time for it.

Most Game stores are relatively quiet these days, even in busy centres like the Arndale in Manchester. It's hardly the Apple store in terms of customer numbers.

I don't agree that a central telephone service can do everything that a direct line to the store can. A simple example is calling to ask if something is in stock and then getting it put to one side to be collected later that day, that can't be done via a call centre and that's a relatively basic customer service (assuming Game management allow things to be reserved like that nowadays).

Indeed. But GAME doesn't. That's kind of the point of this recent discussion.

Only it does

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=148256&articleId=170456&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

I think it's a fairly basic customer expectation to be able to call the store directly and to be able to talk to someone. When I worked at Game we always managed it but that was in the days before the scripted value-add shite they have to do nowadays. Maybe if the staff were allowed to just serve customers normally without all the time consuming up-selling it would leave time for it.

Most Game stores are relatively quiet these days, even in busy centres like the Arndale in Manchester. It's hardly the Apple store in terms of customer numbers.

I don't agree that a central telephone service can do everything that a direct line to the store can. A simple example is calling to ask if something is in stock and then getting it put to one side to be collected later that day, that can't be done via a call centre and that's a relatively basic customer service (assuming Game management allow things to be reserved like that nowadays).

To be fair have you tried calling the local branch of your bank recently? - oh wait thats right you can't.

Of all the things to berate Game for I'm not sure not publishing branch telephone numbers is one of them really. Its pretty standard for most big chains now to have centralised telephony.

A bank is different though in that you wouldn't really be calling up for something comparable (hi! Got any money in your Leeds branch?), for the services where you need to see an individual a centralised booking system is probably best as long as all the diaries are synced up.

A bank is different though in that you wouldn't really be calling up for something comparable (hi! Got any money in your Leeds branch?), for the services where you need to see an individual a centralised booking system is probably best as long as all the diaries are synced up.

Well actually as most banks don't carry a huge cash float if you do need a large cash withdrawal (1k+) you do normally need to ring and arrange things and call centres can make this harder.

Personally I just don't think that not giving a branches direct dial number out is a huge issue in the grand scheme of things. Poor trade in prices and stupid prices on new goods is somthing quite else of course.

My first reply was a bit jokey re banks but my banks contact agents would make sure that the branch had enough cash on site for a big withdrawal but I fear we are drifting away from the point again. I find it really hard to comprehend that if you had the ability to speak to your local store or not that some people think that not being able to get in touch is the better option.

Surely for a retailer it's better to have a greater number of available channels for the customers to get in touch.

This all seems to have stemmed from me wanting to ask my local store if they had a strategy guide in stock but I couldn't.

I'm pretty sure not publishing trade in prices is a conscious decision on their part.

They *want* you to be stood at the counter when they offer you a pittance as you are far more likely to just take it at that point.

Interestingly the "we beat anyone by £1" is now available in Game rather than just Gamestation which is an improvement, though they always look very disappointed when you ask them to price match CEX. £36 vs £25 for Black Ops 2 for example.

I was pleasantly surprised last weekend. Took halo anniversary and MGS hd vita in to trade at gamestation, expecting to have to ask them to price match the £24 cex would offer and they came back with £38!!

They (CEX) have a website which actually does this

I just did a cursory glance round the site do they allow you to ring local stores as the stores search shows all info except direct number.

oh and the contact us area of site lists no telephone numbers at all.

reserving games (not pre-orders) in my shop resulted in a big reserved pile of games that could be sold but nobody came to collect them. In the end it was a hard rule same day collection or within seven days were the two choices we gave customers wanting to reserve a game. 95% went back out on the shelf and were sold quickly.

Why do people still pre-order games anyway?

Oh, and CEX do NOT want you phoning their stores at all.

Because I get it a day early, on my doormat, in a condition where it hasn't been unwrapped and prodded by a bored 16 year old and for £5-10 less than any retail establishment.

If I owned my own chain of stores, I would have a private line in the back for incoming calls so the area manager could get in touch, and a call centre for the rest. All the best sales discussions happen in person, and I too would kick off at anyone answering the phone whilst I was waiting in line.

Earlymodernsteve, do you remember "Thanks for calling Game Lancaster where you can now buy the Sega Dreamcast for only £99.99 when you trade in your working Playstation and any ten working Playstation games"?

If I owned my own chain of stores, I would have a private line in the back for incoming calls so the area manager could get in touch, and a call centre for the rest. All the best sales discussions happen in person, and I too would kick off at anyone answering the phone whilst I was waiting in line.

Earlymodernsteve, do you remember "Thanks for calling Game Lancaster where you can now buy the Sega Dreamcast for only £99.99 when you trade in your working Playstation and any ten working Playstation games"?

Yes, I remember that one. Usually followed by the question, 'are you open today?' :facepalm:

See, we have a phone in store where I work and most of the time it is fine customers calling up. Simple "Afternoon Games Centre, Tony speaking" tends to do the trick. It can get irritating if the phone is going mad on a busy Saturday afternoon, as we tend not to answer it if there is a queue. but that leads to a noisy phone and we've had customers complain to head office due to us not answering sometimes.

Most of the time it does push sales though. Prime example the other day. I had a customer call up and ask trade in price of a couple of games. When they asked what do we have for their son for his birthday I suggested popping in and using the credit to pre-order Lego Lord of the Rings. Not only a new game for his birthday (at the cheapest price in town), but also they were entered into a competition to win a PS3 just for pre-ordering and buying LLOTR

If you can remember your local stores number chances are its the same as it was as i phone my local sunderland store every now and then the last time was last week.

:blink:

If you can still remember the number of your local Game when they used to give out the direct number to customers, chances are it's still the same.

I think that's what he's saying.