IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

Yes the charging full RRP decision is quite startling. How they think they can charge £45 for Far Cry 3 and £55 for Black Ops 2 is beyond me. The owners are the same company who own Comet, right? Their prices are now as high as Comet's were. It occurs to me that the business plan seems to be similar: ramp up the prices to eye-watering levels to make as much as possible from the dwindling band of loyal customers, whom you assume won't go anywhere else, since they already would have. You can see how well that worked for Comet.

From their perspective, it worked VERY well for Comet.

It's a longshot but have you got any emails or receipts with your card number on them? Now they've merged the systems you should be able to link it to a Game online store account and redeem the points there instead of waiting for a new card that is probably never going to arrive

Yep. Even without the receipt a store would have been able to give you your reward number. You can link it all up through an app on your phone now too and the store will scan your mobile phone to redeem your points, no card needed.

On the price thing, GAME are typically the most expensive but it depends. I was in Sainsbury a couple of weeks ago and they had Black Ops 2 at £42, same as GAME and hitman at £40 which was the same as GAME. They had Fifa 13 for £43 in Sainsbury! Couldn't believe it, this is why I buy online. Not that I buy games that much anymore.

I think back in the day I got the Jap import of Streetfighter 2 for £65 on the SNES though I'm sure I remember a title for £99 but I can't remember what it was. it was an import though so I guess you would expect those to be higher priced.

From their perspective, it worked VERY well for Comet.

I think it's reasonably safe to assume that it'll be that way for Game as well now. They won't own it in 12 months (at most) and they'll be millions up.

Whether or not there is a Game store after that won't be anything to do with them. I'd suspect there won't be though.

The fact that distributors/publishers are still giving GAME exclusive versions of their games baffles me. GAME are still an awful shop, with awful business practices. They learned precisely nothing.

They're "free" advertising though - in that you supply your titles to them, and they get stocked up and down the country. People see them in the window when they walk down the street.

I had that Street Fighter 2 Turbo tin, but I never knew what was in it. An older cousin who swapped his interest in games for hardcore techno music gave it to me, but it was slightly dented on every surface and had nothing inside except lots of brown tobacco flecks and filthy old rizla roaches.

Im not to sure

I think it's reasonably safe to assume that it'll be that way for Game as well now. They won't own it in 12 months (at most) and they'll be millions up.

Whether or not there is a Game store after that won't be anything to do with them. I'd suspect there won't be though.

Im not to sure. GAME was always profitable apart from the last year and now they have gotten rid of most of their unprofitable stores and have downsized to just one store in a town now. For example Birmingham had 5 stores, one large one in the bullring, one small one just outside, a small gamestation around the corner, the worlds biggest gaming store in all of europe (another gamestation) just outside the bull ring and a GAME concessions inside Selfridges. How do you make money having 5 stores in the same shopping centre?

Now just a single GAME store is left in the bullring. But i don't think they'll do too much to improve the brand, just let it coast no doubt.

Im not to sure

Im not to sure. GAME was always profitable apart from the last year and now they have gotten rid of most of their unprofitable stores and have downsized to just one store in a town now. For example Birmingham had 5 stores, one large one in the bullring, one small one just outside, a small gamestation around the corner, the worlds biggest gaming store in all of europe (another gamestation) just outside the bull ring and a GAME concessions inside Selfridges. How do you make money having 5 stores in the same shopping centre?

Now just a single GAME store is left in the bullring. But i don't think they'll do too much to improve the brand, just let it coast no doubt.

I meant either it'll make money and they'll sell it while it is (because it won't for long), or it won't and they shut it down in a clever profit making way.

Although I personally think the latter will happen.

Im not to sure

Yep totally agree and the shop they kept open in Birmingham is crap. should've kept the Gamestation by the Odean cinema open instead. We also have 2 independent stores locally to me in Birmingham which are much better priced so why go all the way to the Bullring and be ripped off?

The GAME in West Brom is much better but their prices still make your eyes water, £54.99 for ZombieU

I wouldn't miss 'em

Quick question

I was asking about WiiU stock in Game and they happened to have a ZombiU pack in stock so I ermmm bought it on a whim.

I was asked about games they said game for £25 and I said NSMBU? they said nope and showed me range I scanned it and rejected.

GAH!!! shoulda paid attention as sonic racing thing was on list. So question is this

If I go back in with receipt and/or box will the delightful people at Game let me give them £25 for Sonic as I puchased it an hr or so ago? or am I chalking it up to experience?

Was looking at the Wii U shelf in the local Game on the way home yesterday with my girlfriend, to show her what other games were available - much easier for the eye to take in than a list on an online retailer's website. There was a Game instore worker hovering behind us the whole time, pretending to tidy the adjacent shelf, nervously commenting on all the games my girlfriend was checking the boxes of, and talking about how many consoles they had in store. Didn't have the heart to tell him that we already had a Premium at home, and can't justify the high prices in Game. Poor bloke. :(

Quick question

I was asking about WiiU stock in Game and they happened to have a ZombiU pack in stock so I ermmm bought it on a whim.

I was asked about games they said game for £25 and I said NSMBU? they said nope and showed me range I scanned it and rejected.

GAH!!! shoulda paid attention as sonic racing thing was on list. So question is this

If I go back in with receipt and/or box will the delightful people at Game let me give them £25 for Sonic as I puchased it an hr or so ago? or am I chalking it up to experience?

Short of them giving you a full refund then reselling you the bundle I don't see them doing it :P that'd involve you taking it back though...

Just get sonic for £30 on amazon. For the sake of a fiver..

Quick question

I would have thought that as long as the game is sealed you woudl be fine to swap. Might not have much luck if you have opened it though.

it's been a while since I've been to england. does CEX still reek of cat urine and the broken dreams of clerks living in their parents basements?

Bizarrely, no. They've had something of a McDonalds level turnaround as a business. It's still and abhorrent place to shop but it's bright, smells of nothing and no longer has bad techno/death metal blaring out at 1560db.