IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

So how come they are still popular in Japan then?

Cheers

Are they? Genuine question, by the way, I've not been to Japan, and it is a very different place to the UK. Are they still a widespread thing to be found in every town or are they just in Tokyo and the like?

Arcades in the UK used to offer something that you couldn't get at home, or a far superior version anyway, but once we got past the 16 bit era that wasn't really the case. There was a bit of a fight back with larger sit in cabs or things like DDR that aren't easy to replicate at home but they just ended up taking a smaller and smaller floor area of dedicated arcades and by virtue of their size weren't practical to have in chip shops, pubs and anywhere else you could find a standard JAMMA cab.

I'm sure arcade machine operators and manufacturers helped hasten their demise - the shift away from games where a skilled player could get a decent return on his 20/50p to ones that forced you to continually feed in cash to progress definitely put people off, and unless arcades were filled to capacity were completely unneccessary and counterproductive.

I just don't see how it would be economically viable to run a traditional arcade any more in most towns without it being mostly full of fruit machines - there aren't enough people that would want to spend enough in there.

So how come they are still popular in Japan then?

Cheers

Actually, although the arcade industry was huge when I was there back in 2006-2008, apparently it's hit upon hard times now and that whole segment of the industry is in serious trouble.

Also, the reason arcades are popular over there is largely due to cultural differences. It's a generalisation, but people in Japan tend to own small homes, which are seen as very much "personal space", or family space. Consequently they live a lot more of their lives outside of their homes. This is why Japan has such a huge industry in "diner" restaurants, coffee shops, late-night opening shopping malls and places like arcades - after work, many people tend not to go straight home (or if they do, they go back out soon after) - instead they go out and meet people at social places; their home is just where they sleep. Especially in Tokyo.

(in a related manner, this is why there is so much anime etc. involving teenagers being at "after school clubs", same reasoning)

There are other reasons too, like how Japanese people generally don't vandalise public facilities (like you can expect to go to a toilet at a Japanese arcade and the floor won't be covered in piss), so it's easier to maintain something like an arcade over there.

I want my GAME to stay open, as there is a rather attractive brunette girl who works there. :wub:

I was freaked out the other day, went in to the local branch of CEX and they had an absolutely stunning petite blonde girl behind the counter. Took me a while to realise she worked their and hadn't been traded in by one of the local chav's against a grade B iPad.

Arcades were the videogame equivalent of the cinema. Its a shame that they failed to adapt to the changes in the home market the same way that the cinemas did.

I think we may be seeing the same progression there too actually.

Arcades - popular because they had the latest stuff and you can't have anything like the same experience at home. Home equipment gets more advanced and that gap closes. Arcades go for gimmicks (huge dance machines etc). Home starts to cover those too (dance mats, wii, kinect), arcades can't compete while dealing with rent too. Arcades die.

Cinemas - popular because they get the latest films and you couldn't have anything like the same experience at home. Home equipment gets more advanced, surround sound and bigger screens etc. cinemas go for gimmicks (3d anyone). Home starts to cover those too, to be continued.

I think we may be seeing the same progression there too actually.

Arcades - popular because they had the latest stuff and you can't have anything like the same experience at home. Home equipment gets more advanced and that gap closes. Arcades go for gimmicks (huge dance machines etc). Home starts to cover those too (dance mats, wii, kinect), arcades can't compete while dealing with rent too. Arcades die.

Cinemas - popular because they get the latest films and you couldn't have anything like the same experience at home. Home equipment gets more advanced, surround sound and bigger screens etc. cinemas go for gimmicks (3d anyone). Home starts to cover those too, to be continued.

I think it's different with cinema, because cinema is fundamentally a shared experience. You go to the cinema with your friends, or family, or on a date. It's a night out. I feel as though it'll always have a purpose not fulfilled by the home viewing experience regardless of how good home tellies get.

It's funny to see how these days the arcades will take home gaming experiences and try to emulate them. I saw that Sega football manager card game in Dubai, huge rows of machines but almost incomprehensible if you'd never played it.

Even then, most of the pull of arcades in the Middle East (which are in almost every mall) are down to space intensive rides which rely on almost bitesize rollercoaster action.

Did you ask the PC smuggos in the incredibly helpful and friendly Steam thread (or the PC building thread in ATF)? I'm surprised that if you did you only got the response you mentioned above.

If only things were as smooth as they are in console land.

The steam thread where lots of people are just giving games away to other posters?

Full of unhelpful 'smuggos', man!

I think it's different with cinema, because cinema is fundamentally a shared experience. You go to the cinema with your friends, or family, or on a date. It's a night out. I feel as though it'll always have a purpose not fulfilled by the home viewing experience regardless of how good home tellies get.

Hmm, certainly possible, although you'd think arcades would have had a shot at marketing themselves the same way.

I was in HMV last night and the signs are there that they are in trouble - their new game stock is almost non-existent now. Maybe 15 3ds games, 5 for Vita and 30 for Ps3.

The store is just full of shitty over priced DVDs that nobody wants.

Game have a new deal starting today with an extra £10 when you trade in 4 games. Each game has to trade in for over £2 but there are some good prices available. Lots of games that trade in for under £2 at cex that game will give about £4-5 for before the extra. Plenty of duff prices too so you have to be carefull and check online first.

Game have a new deal starting today with an extra £10 when you trade in 4 games. Each game has to trade in for over £2 but there are some good prices available. Lots of games that trade in for under £2 at cex that game will give about £4-5 for before the extra. Plenty of duff prices too so you have to be carefull and check online first.

I assume you get credit only, not cash on this deal.

This revives the old conundrum of there being very little worth buying in-store, that is not very expensive.

trade-in price check link

http://www.game.co.u...av-_-Calculator

This revives the old conundrum of there being very little worth buying in-store, that is not very expensive.

Luckily there's a reliable answer these days: PSN/Live/Steam credit. You might not be buying it at a saving, per se, but it's a great way of recycling unwanted games into a currency you'll actually use rather than being lumbered with the false economy of GAME store credit.

Luckily there's a reliable answer these days: PSN/Live/Steam credit. You might not be buying it at a saving, per se, but it's a great way of recycling unwanted games into a currency you'll actually use rather than being lumbered with the false economy of GAME store credit.

Thanks for that

a9kjY.jpg

This is sure to turn their fortunes around!

RUMOUR

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2013/01/07...-achievements/

"A reliable source at GAME has informed us that the retailer is working closely with Xbox 360 publisher Microsoft and will be launching a new system in the near future that will reward those who attend midnight launches at GAME stores with a unique achievement.

The GAME exclusive achievements won’t be part of the games mandatory 1000 gamerscore, but will instead be logged in a separate GAME section on your gamertag. This is certainly some fantastic news for completionists who aren’t able to get to a GAME store and don’t want to have their games forever missing one achievement.

Speaking with the representative at GAME, buyers will be able to unlock the midnight launch achievement once they return from the store with their copy and pop it into their console. It’s currently unknown as to whether or not those who pre-order for home delivery will also be able to unlock these achievements.

This achievement partnership scheme won’t be the end of GAME’s partnership with Microsoft as the implementation of the system is likely to mark a much bigger brand presence on the Xbox 360 dashboard. How this will carry over to the rumoured announcement of the Xbox 720 at this years E3 is currently unknown.

With a huge rise in retailer exclusive editions of games and pre-order bonuses, it’s no surprise to hear that 2013 will see even more unique incentives from high-street retailers. After a pretty rough couple of years, it’s certainly commendable to see GAME coming up with some creative solutions to help boost sales and give themselves some ammo against the typically cheaper online retail alternatives."

LOL. I like achievements, but not enough to join Club GAME (Let's All Meet at Midnight and Pay Full Price).

And the problem they have there is that those of us who ordered online would already have had the game 12 hours by that point and still have £5-£10 to spend on beer while we play it.

GAME exclusive achievement, I can see it now:

0G - Secret Achievement

Twat - queued for 3 hours for midnight launch, bought game at £44.99. Got home, found out friends list is full of people who have been playing same game for 2 days - they ordered from Shopto and £10 cheaper. Finally, GAME reward card points not registered on till receipt.

What's the Achievement going to be titled?

1G - Corporate whore

1G - Bricks and Mortar retail is dead

1G - Plastic discs? Time to go digital

1G - I queued all night and all I got was this stupid achivement

1G - Only because M$ need someone to sell Xbox Next on the High Street