IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

I know Game will pricematch CEX if I ask, but I'd prefer to go to somewhere that's giving a good deal, rather than go to a place that will try to rip me off unless I ask them not to,

Really, really would like Game to get back to how they were 20 years ago.

Their trade in prices have always been a joke. However, they will price match CEX for store credit if you ask.

In my experience they make it a real chore to do, they demand printed proof which cex arent a fan of giving, and it involves traipsing back and forth. It doesnt exactly encourage trust. I know what im doing but even I feel like a mug punter in GAME, like theyre trying to fleece me if I drop my guard for an instant.

He said they demand printed proof. A phone isn't printed proof.

Both the Game stores near me just have a PC behind the counter with the CEX website loaded up on. Never needed printed proof in all the years I've had them price match.

Also, Game are selling The Evil Within for £19.99 as a Black Friday deal, so that'll be why they had a shitty trade in price for it (well, part of the reason, the other being they always offer shitty prices for trade ins)

I know Game will pricematch CEX if I ask, but I'd prefer to go to somewhere that's giving a good deal, rather than go to a place that will try to rip me off unless I ask them not to,

Really, really would like Game to get back to how they were 20 years ago.

True in store they tend to be expensive - £60 for a PS4 controller anyone?. However, you can spend store credit on their website which tends to be fairly keenly priced and quite often cheaper than CEX. I purchased a few second hand games off their website during the Summer and traded them back in once done for what I had paid by price matching CEX, which was nice.

I worked for the bastards for years, this is the company that sent store managers to buy sainsburys entire stock of cheap ps2s to mark up and sell on.

Did it with Morrisons too when they did the £90 Xbox 360 Core units when I worked there.

It's not just them though, I worked at a store up here that regularly tells customers that their paid pre-ordered limited edition games haven't showed up from the supplier & offer a refund or standard version (When in fact they have, the company just saw they were selling for silly money online, and ebayed them)

Which is fairly hilarious because I could photoshop a printout very easily, difficult to photoshop accessing the website live.

(Not impossible of course)

They also have a clause saying if it costs more to trade in than their selling price, they wont price match. We tried it with our local. We printed off a fake receipt from the till system saying we would give £120 for black ops 2 limited edition, and sent a customer up to them. They called us to confirm, so we said yes, and they refused the customer as the trade would be more than they sold it for (£70 at the time i think).

Bought the special edition of Infamous 2nd Son used.

Now...I expect it not to come with any DLC.

But they sent it without a box, without the hat..and without any other documents.

Just the disc and the cardboard sleeve.

How would they think that's acceptable when someone is buying the special edition?!

Anyway, took it back to a store today and swapped it no problems. An inconvenience though, and won't be ordering any collectors or special editions from GAME again.

Bought the special edition of Infamous 2nd Son used.

Now...I expect it not to come with any DLC.

But they sent it without a box, without the hat..and without any other documents.

Just the disc and the cardboard sleeve.

How would they think that's acceptable when someone is buying the special edition?!

Anyway, took it back to a store today and swapped it no problems. An inconvenience though, and won't be ordering any collectors or special editions from GAME again.

You want the truth? Because all that stuff is just game guts, no one cares. After a few months of working there you just see games as boxes, discs, and other garbage that inconveniences you when youre working with it. A lot of staff chuck everything out except the manual, and even that isnt considered important. The attitude of GAME people in general is that..you got the disc, you got a box to put it in, you can play it....what more do you want? They wouldnt refuse a trade in saying "wheres the hat".

I dont agree with it, but thats what its like.

They also have a clause saying if it costs more to trade in than their selling price, they wont price match. We tried it with our local. We printed off a fake receipt from the till system saying we would give £120 for black ops 2 limited edition, and sent a customer up to them. They called us to confirm, so we said yes, and they refused the customer as the trade would be more than they sold it for (£70 at the time i think).

There is no such clause. This was made up by greedy managers/regional managers who didn't want to impact on there stores profit and loss. Infact GAME were done by trading standards last year for this exact problem. By LAW they have to honour the 'we'll beat by £1' even if its a massive loss. They can limit the amount you trade though. Too many people were refusing this despite there being no small print to suggest otherwise.

Just remember that if a manager tries to fob you off. It was in strict written documents late last year/earlier this year that price beating means you do just that, no questions, no refusuals.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/asa_rules_in_favour_of_game_over_misleading_trade-in_price_match_offer.html

Excellent work by Game today; they had hourly Black Friday deals, but the website was down for most of the day due to 'excessive traffic' so no one was able to see / buy them anyway.

To be fair to Game, it wasn't just them experiencing issues. My wife wanted to take advantage of a few clothes retailers Black Friday deals and none of their websites were working.