Video game retailers

sandman

This is a shame, I'd come across some really nice Gamestation stores in my time.

Fucking Game.

Most of the Gamestation staff I know are decent people trying to make a living, but if you were to ask them how things have been since the takeover, and more importantly, since we were structured to work like GAME, they would tell you how shit it's become.

We are now pressurised like fuck to get those Vita deposits, and you just know how we'll be the most expensive bricks-and-mortar retailer selling the Vita. And customers aren't daft, and they will make a bee-line to the supermarkets and online.

Christ, it's got to the point that even our staff discounts barely make it worth our while to buy from our own store.

Well, he has 60% of his holding.

and to counteract that he will be spending more money buying more shares!

I've tried convincing him to cut his losses and get rid of his shares but he thinks that the vita and next xbox will make game shares go through the roof!

It can't be good news if Game go under (and if HMV do as well)

Pretty much nowhere on the High Street to buy new games, only the supermarkets (and Toys R Us?) to buy new games offline. Nowhere to trade games and limited places to buy new hardware.

Not a major deal if you buy online like most of us on here etc but not everyone does and I reckon the industry will lose out when kids can't convince their mum to buy them some game online/he cant trade in old games against it.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/opinion-really-you-don-t-want-game-to-fail/089526

I've been saying this for a while, but people can feel free to keep the narrow view that Game and Gamestation going under would be an amazing thing for the video game industry in the UK.

Who's to say that if game went under, that somewhere else wouldn't take up the slack. Why is he "upset" that someone has said “GAME has only got itself to blame.” and yet no mention of why these comments come about.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/retail-threatens-steam-ban/06050

Shit like this, rather than adapting to a changing market they want to old ways to stay. A company like this is bad for the consumer, so yes I can see why people want game dead. It's always shit when folks end up out of a job, I've suffered the same fate. But to want to prop up a dinosaur because you should "get behind them" is absurd.

It was ace when a Gamestation opened about 3 mins from Game near me. Real competition which benefitted the customers. I remember them selling Xbox House of the Dead with a light gun for £25 to encourage people into the store. Now we just have two stores selling the same products at the same prices offering the same trade-in prices.

Whoever approved the merger should be shot. Competition Commission? How is it GAME are allowed to own most of the games retailing on the highstreet?

FUCKING GAME.

Most of the Gamestation staff I know are decent people trying to make a living, but if you were to ask them how things have been since the takeover, and more importantly, since we were structured to work like GAME, they would tell you how shit it's become.

We are now pressurised like fuck to get those Vita deposits, and you just know how we'll be the most expensive bricks-and-mortar retailer selling the Vita. And customers aren't daft, and they will make a bee-line to the supermarkets and online.

Christ, it's got to the point that even our staff discounts barely make it worth our while to buy from our own store.

It's sad, dude.

There's still a shit-load of stores to close, and we were told that the priority stores closing would be ones where the lease is about to expire, and towns where there are 2 or more stores.

I don't see GAME going down this year, but expect to see many more closures and I think looking ahead, GAME will become an online retailer, though how that fares remains to be seen.

Whenever I'm in the UK, I'll go into a Game store and I always think how nice they are compared to Dutch gaming stores. The staff are quite knowledgable and polite (instead of some bint who only works there because she couldn't find a job in a clothing store) and they sell all kinds of game related stuff like guides, shirts, mags and the like. Over here games are either part of a toystore or record store, or they are part of the chain of said toystores/record stores and all sell the same shite at the same RRP prices.

In other words; Game may have 'issues', but remember there are people out there who are actually jealous because it can be so much worse.

Whenever I'm in the UK, I'll go into a Game store and I always think how nice they are compared to Dutch gaming stores. The staff are quite knowledgable and polite (instead of some bint who only works there because she couldn't find a job in a clothing store) and they sell all kinds of game related stuff like guides, shirts, mags and the like. Over here games are either part of a toystore or record store, or they are part of the chain of said toystores/record stores and all sell the same shite at the same RRP prices.

In other words; Game may have 'issues', but remember there are people out there who are actually jealous because it can be so much worse.

Holland must be some sort of post apocalyptic nightmare.

They need to go so we can have something new in it's place.

Well preferably 2 newcomers fighting each other every step of the way.

For those thinking Game going is bad, it doesn't matter. As long as there is an online marketplace or somewhere to buy games cheaper than rrp (and it's not like ebay will ever dissapear) there will always be better deals around.

Holland must be some sort of post apocalyptic nightmare.

When it comes to games: yes. Games are almost always sold at RRP (apart from some of the really Big Titles where some shops may undercut each other a little bit). This means that a new game usually costs GBP 50 or even GBP 54 for some PS3 titles. It takes ages for games to be discounted too. Online isn't much better.

Pretty much all the games I buy come from the UK. Usually I can get a game for something like 35 quid and it's delivered to my home for free, maybe 1 or 2 days after the release date. It's madness.

I've tried convincing him to cut his losses and get rid of his shares but he thinks that the vita and next xbox will make game shares go through the roof!

They've dropped to 3.8p; it'd be very tempting to just sell now. Even if they do go back up eventually to >8p, there's surely no way you can forsee that at the moment without a crystal ball. If you bought at about 7p, maybe it's just best to cut your losses.

I wonder how much a controlling stake in the firm now costs?

Not always, especially on pre owned.

Maybe no, for everything, but it's always been the case in my experience. They're so close together (which is ridiculous from a business perspective to begin with) that I generally check both if I'm trading something in. Usually it ends up with me that HMV are offering about £3 more and charging another £3 less for the game I'm trading for..

NapoleOn, I know you think the staff at GAME are polite and helpful, but does it not piss you off just how many times you're approached on the sales floor, and of the amount of questions hurled at you when at the counter?

Gamestation was NEVER about that, but we use a customer service system called SMILE (Stage, Meet, Invite, Link and End), whereby for every customer, we're meant to be on the shop floor for you to see, to greet you, to go over and ask you if you need any help, to ask you open-answer questions, to then up-sell to you, and to then offer you loyalty, trade, online etc.

Gone are the days of just being there if you need us; now we have to fucking jump all over customers and bombard you with questions. How many people are really not going to get pissed off with that? I know I would.

And our mystery shopper is look for SMILE standards to be carried out, so we know we're really pissing off so many customers, yet sadly we have to do it.

Sigh.

NapoleOn, I know you think the staff at GAME are polite and helpful, but does it not piss you off just how many times you're approached on the sales floor, and of the amount of questions hurled at you when at the counter?

Gamestation was NEVER about that, but we use a customer service system called SMILE (Stage, Meet, Invite, Link and End), whereby for every customer, we're meant to be on the shop floor for you to see, to greet you, to go over and ask you if you need any help, to ask you open-answer questions, to then up-sell to you, and to then offer you loyalty, trade, online etc.

Gone are the days of just being there if you need us; now we have to fucking jump all over customers and bombard you with questions. How many people are really not going to get pissed off with that? I know I would.

And our mystery shopper is look for SMILE standards to be carried out, so we know we're really pissing off so many customers, yet sadly we have to do it.

Sigh.

Yeah, it's the classic 'if I needed help i'd ask for it' problem.

Oh how ye laughed!

I'd like to thank this thread for making me mega buxx! Shame I didnt buy at 5.6p but like I said I'm in it long germ and an extra 1p ain't gonna make much difference long term! I'm up 20% on £500 for now!

I'm going to be controversial now.

GAME is the least likely high st brand to go bust!

I doubt it'll go lower than what I paid.

I'm not the only one buying, motley fool are quite buoyant about it!

Angel,

I thInk you are seeing this only from your perspective as a hardcore gamer. You buy online. You buy on PSN, Live, Steam.

You are in the minority and always will be.

GAME will bounce back, it's easy to compare them with HMV or woollies but they're completely different businesses.

In 3 years, my shares I'm pretty sure will be worth at least £1 each. That will earn me thousands. I'm not gambling as much as you think I am. It's common sense.

:hat:

Sigh.

Is it also part of the training to piss about with your co-workers while customers wait for you to finish? That is always followed my someone half my age calling me 'mate' or 'fella' after everything. At least at the local Game I've been spoken to like a customer.

To qualify that,it's the only GS I've been in, but the service ranks as some of the most sloppy and unprofessional I've ever witnessed in any country. If they disappeared from my town, I couldn't see the great loss to be honest. Over-priced goods and bad service don't make for a very positive shopping experience.

They've dropped to 3.8p; it'd be very tempting to just sell now. Even if they do go back up eventually to >8p, there's surely no way you can forsee that at the moment without a crystal ball. If you bought at about 7p, maybe it's just best to cut your losses.

I wonder how much a controlling stake in the firm now costs?

Close of day market capitalisation was £13.2 million.

We could have a whip round, or ask Fondue to raid the piggybank.

The entire high street is suffering - I mean, my local (3 branches of) Greggs have started to sell 2 Sausage and Bean Melts for a quid because a Pound Bakery opened up and is always really busy. I mean, seriously, we appear to be living in a world where Greggs the Bakers is too expensive.

Game was always bound to suffer, they've been running a business model for years that no-one wants or needs. They sell loyalty cards for £3, push add-on sales to people that don't want them, the staff follow scripts that don't allow them to actually talk to you like a human being, and the staff won't leave you alone to browze. They focus on the customer service, by suggesting you come and talk to the experts. But you don't need to talk to an expert when you're buying a game. Would you buy a CD from a music store that offered expert advice? "Don't buy that Celine Dion CD, Celine Dion is CRAP!" They'd say to you. You don't walk into a Game store and browze the shelves looking for insiration. You Don't see Grand Theft Auto or Fifa 12 and think, "What's this? This looks interesting. I will go and see the expert over there, they might be able to inform me about this game." You just buy it because that;s the game you went in for.

They have a bigger range than the supermarkets. But not really - there's very little back catalogue that's not preowned, and you can often buy knew online for the same prices they charge for preowned.

But they work in an industry where they simply are not needed any more. They find themselves selling facebook credits on gift cards, microsoft points, PSN vouchers. They know that 80% of a stores software sales comes from 20% of the titles, yet they convince themselves that having a good range of back catalogue games in store is a good idea. They push preowned as if that's an actual thing (remember before Game and Electronics Boutique, how much would a second hand video game cost? You'd go to a charity shop or a car boot sale. You just wouldn't believe a high street store would devote half its floor space to second hand games, sometimes priced at £2 less than a new one).

Oh yeah, of that 80% I mentioned, 80% of that comes from the top 2 titles in the chart. So there's simply no reason to talk to an expert, and get all the help and support when you're buying that copy of Fifa 12. You can pick it up cheaper, when you buy your weekly shopping. As discussed in the other thread, I was GOBSMACKED when I saw how many people were at the midnight launch for GTA4 at Asda. But as well as that, how quickly was that massive queue moving? With no-one trading in, everyone got served in a fraction of the time that they would have at Game.

I'll shut up now, because all my opinions (and all the above is opinion) have been aired in my long posts in the other thread. But it's amazing they have lasted as long as they have done, and I'm not suprised at all about the share price right now.

But if they go bust, it won't change a thing. If Greggs goes bust tomorrow, there's always Pound Bakery.